TAS Tassie... happening?

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
On face value this seems like a good idea unless you're one of the teams or member / supporter bases. Let's assume they'd be vic teams, correct me if I'm wrong but the lowest vic member base is approx 40k (give or take a k here or there).

Basic addition tells us that's 120k members, and being paying fans of "traditional" clubs they're usually a fickle lot. So it's a fair assumption that they'll turn their back on the league if their team is "chopped", at the least a very large majority would also a fair assumption.

Of course I have not yet mentioned the non member fans who will also have their nose out of joint, let's also conservatively speculate that currently the non member probably doubles those member figures (being very conservative here).

So at the very least we're talking about 300 - 400k you lose from the turnstiles and the tv sets because their team is no longer in it.

Again, the idea of fattening the talent pool by culling apparently irrelevant teams is a noble one, but not without consequence. I'm sure HQ would agree with me otherwise these teams would already be gone in favour of more teams from "other" places than vic.

Being hellbent on the long road to make the two newly incepted teams accepted and relevant by traditional markets is evidence of that.

So then what are the choices? Do we do away with GC and or GWS? Well that would be practical but there's more chance of me winning the Norm Smith than that happening - HQ are hell bent on winning the RL market over.

Gil has already alluded to the idea of a Tas team and it may happen and it will dilute the talent pool further but you can bet your left one it won't be at the expense of teams already in the comp.

North Melbourne claim to have 40,000 members to their crowd numbers simply don't correlate. Their support in their primary market, Melbourne, is not much different to Gold Coast or GWS. I have zero doubt that a Tasmanian side would be better supported (bums on seats) than North Melbourne.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
North Melbourne claim to have 40,000 members to their crowd numbers simply don't correlate. Their support in their primary market, Melbourne, is not much different to Gold Coast or GWS. I have zero doubt that a Tasmanian side would be better supported (bums on seats) than North Melbourne.
In terms of raw numbers, I don't know. Tasmania's population is 500k, give or take - a *lot* of which are rural. Getting even 25k to a game involves 5% of the entire island's population.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
In terms of raw numbers, I don't know. Tasmania's population is 500k, give or take - a *lot* of which are rural. Getting even 25k to a game involves 5% of the entire island's population.

Look at the support they get for the FIFO teams. Teams that most Tasmanians have zero connection to. North Melbourne have been in the comp 95 years and still struggle to get 15,000 of their own supporters to games. North are a club that totally exist on opposition supporters rocking up to their games. When they play non Vic teams they get exposed for what they actually are.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Oh, I realise I can't predict the future, but the numbers I provide do provide for the (far) more likely outcomes.

Who knows, maybe they'll discover an oilfield off the coast so rich that even their (heavily Greens influenced) government allows it to be developed, and Tas becomes the wealthiest part of the country, people flock there in droves and there is so much money 2 teams are formed...

But I think I'll stick with the more likely scenarios.

Tasmania has a Liberal Government. Your comment about 'heavily Greens influenced' is really quite stupid.

Firstly the Greens support having an AFL team here. Secondly, the Libs hate the Greens guts & have nothing to do with them.

So keep showing your preconceived bias & ignorance.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The "standard of the game" argument is garbage when it's just one or two teams being added. The population has grown and will continue to grow, particularly in Victoria, so more talent will be available in future. This year's mature aged recruits, particularly Gold Coast's, are showing that there's plenty of decent state league talent out there. Plus the more opportunities there are at the highest level, the more that those players on the fringe of AFL and state level will improve, as they are facing better competition and higher standards.

Augustine

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal
Look at the support they get for the FIFO teams. Teams that most Tasmanians have zero connection to. North Melbourne have been in the comp 95 years and still struggle to get 15,000 of their own supporters to games. North are a club that totally exist on opposition supporters rocking up to their games. When they play non Vic teams they get exposed for what they actually are.

You are obsessed with us. You specifically must have written hundreds of posts about us at this point. You need to sort out your life priorities.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood

Numbers to games, bums on seats is important. Memberships are more important.

Given the Footy support in Vic is about 50% of the population, & 20% are members. footy here has been shown to be just as popular. That popularity would equate to Tassie getting over 50k members. Certainly above a number of clubs.

The main issue is are they financially viable now by themselves?

If not, then they will never get a team. It isn't a potential growth market like Western Sydney or Gold Coast so they need to be self sufficient from day dot.

If they are financially viable by themselves then I don't have a problem with them entering the league.

99cents

Premiership Player
Dec 4, 2011
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Geelong Cats
Some of the ideas being thrown around here are absolutely stupid. You do know what would happen if this got approved yeah? it would be a witch hunt for Gill's head.

Decreasing the player pool by 36 players will do s**t farrk all. That is 36 individuals of a rapidly increasing 25 million population. There's so much untapped talent out there who have not been given any opportunity. Proven time and time again that there are players in the VFL SANFL WAFL etc more than capable of playing AFL. If anything it will allow for more variation. More talent scouting. More emphasis on grass roots.

The major issue with Tasmania is player retention. Things can be done to help that situation by giving the team first dibs to all potential tasmanian draftees no matter what.

The Hobart Beverage Co. step in

http://hobartbeverageco.com.au/product/red-cola/

Red_Cola_330ml_Small.jpg

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
The main issue is are they financially viable now by themselves?

If not, then they will never get a team. It isn't a potential growth market like Western Sydney or Gold Coast so they need to be self sufficient from day dot.

If they are financially viable by themselves then I don't have a problem with them entering the league.
The growth of the game quote that gets brought all the time is way over stated and that the Afl are looking 20 to 30 years into the future !the fact is look at brisbane and sydney after over 30 years brisbane contine to loose millions swans are a break even club at best gws and the suns contine to loose huge amounts When tassie went for the gws licence they already had a major sponsor in mars signed would have had the 2 best stadium deals in the afl in place and full state goverment backing make no mistake they would be more vible then the suns or gws would ever be as well as half the other clubs in the AFL

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
So the justification for contining to pour money into GWS and Gold coast is they are potential growth markets. 7 years now.

Is there no point when that gets questioned? Yet the bar for tassie seems to be minimal money from day one?

Oh, I realise I can't predict the future, but the numbers I provide do provide for the (far) more likely outcomes.

Who knows, maybe they'll discover an oilfield off the coast so rich that even their (heavily Greens influenced) government allows it to be developed, and Tas becomes the wealthiest part of the country, people flock there in droves and there is so much money 2 teams are formed...

Serious question - why are you so interested in this topic?

Its almost like you must have had girlfiend from Tas who broke up with you and ever since you've had a chip on your shoulder.

Its almost like you must have had girlfiend from Tas who broke up with you and ever since you've had a chip on your shoulder.
Good question too.

He says (or said) he supports a Tassie AFL side but spends all his time arguing against one. Has been doing so for as long as I can remember.

For that reason, he has no credibilty on the topic and is certainly not to be taken seriously.

A lot? ~70% of Tasmanians live in a city, and that's not counting the thousands of people that orbit them.

Even so, most people would describe a farming town like Cressy as quite rural, but it is still only 30 minutes from Launceston.

It's a non-issue.

The "standard of the game" argument is garbage when it's just one or two teams being added. The population has grown and will continue to grow, particularly in Victoria, so more talent will be available in future. This year's mature aged recruits, particularly Gold Coast's, are showing that there's plenty of decent state league talent out there. Plus the more opportunities there are at the highest level, the more that those players on the fringe of AFL and state level will improve, as they are facing better competition and higher standards.
Disagree. I'd love to see actual junior participation rates rather than the inflated figures the AFL flaunts. Don't forget a lot of Oz population growth is immigrants whose kids seem more interested in soccer, basketball or esports. Also, imagine how much better every other team would be if the expansion teams were disbanded and there was a draft for their players. You'd get two starting 22 players, including a gun.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Disagree. I'd love to see actual junior participation rates rather than the inflated figures the AFL flaunts. Don't forget a lot of Oz population growth is immigrants whose kids seem more interested in soccer, basketball or esports. Also, imagine how much better every other team would be if the expansion teams were disbanded and there was a draft for their players. You'd get two starting 22 players, including a gun.
I always love it when someone suggests a team fold or disband, and it isn't there own. Richmond has a lot of better players, they should disband and would raise the quality of the league even more...

Originally, it was over the argument most had that A vic team should be killed off to make way for a Tas team.

My issue with that was that the very reasons people wanted to kill off Vic clubs were going to be as bad, or worse, with a Tas team. (low income, lack of support, etc).

Having done my research over that, now it's mostly a matter of disliking when people lie/use bullshit arguments, so I poke my head in to such threads and shoot down the lies.

As stated above, it really doesn't take nearly as much time/interest as people seem to think (the 'pro tas' camp really needs to come up with new/better iies rather just repeating the old ones...it's shooting fish in a barrel).

As for me being for/against a Tas team over all. I was for...Now, I can see and understand why the AFL mightn't do it (an eternal money sink that'll just get deeper as time goes on), but mostly I think the people with only a passing interest should be aware of the truth over what they call for.

Originally, it was over the argument most had that A vic team should be killed off to make way for a Tas team.

My issue with that was that the very reasons people wanted to kill off Vic clubs were going to be as bad, or worse, with a Tas team. (low income, lack of support, etc).

Having done my research over that, now it's mostly a matter of disliking when people lie/use bullshit arguments, so I poke my head in to such threads and shoot down the lies.

As stated above, it really doesn't take nearly as much time/interest as people seem to think (the 'pro tas' camp really needs to come up with new/better iies rather just repeating the old ones...it's shooting fish in a barrel).

As for me being for/against a Tas team over all. I was for...Now, I can see and understand why the AFL mightn't do it (an eternal money sink that'll just get deeper as time goes on), but mostly I think the people with only a passing interest should be aware of the truth over what they call for.

Right ......so you are the arbiter for all the impartial, nope

Yours is an uninformed righteous opinion that you keep repeating, nothing more.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006

I was shocked to see you in a thread about a Tassie side bashing the concept, making gross assumptions, and generally talking s**t and highlighting your own ignorance..

A "heavily Green influenced" Liberal Government? Good on you mate :rolleyes:

deltablues

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2013
Rapid City, South Dakota
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sturt, Green Bay Packers
Doesn't take much time/effort to repeat the same reasons that a Tas team would only ever be a charity case. It's not like anyone ever actually disputes them meaningfully after all.

Really just cut/paste these days, so it really doesn't take any significant time out of my life.

I sometimes wonder if anyone will ever come up with a better reason for a Tas team than the vibe/mabo argument. Alas, it seems not.

Telsor,

I repeat my comment to you of around 3 years ago now - did a Taswegian run over your dog?

You replied (to paraphase) that you don't have a problem with a Tas team as long as it is not at the expense [i.e. elimination] of a Vic AFL team.

So we agree on that.

But no. Your subsequent posts reveal a consistent animus against Tas. This latest post of yours merely corroborates your meretricious sophistry.

Bud, we get it.

Give it a rest.

Last edited:

deltablues

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2013
Rapid City, South Dakota
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sturt, Green Bay Packers

Re the bolded - so you're now admitting it's personal.

Finally.

Pathetic.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club

Again, it's not an exact roundabout 40k members - it's near enough. Either either it doesn't matter in the thread point.

Something has to change to keep interest in the game in Tas, North numbers at the turnstiles means little.

What matters is interest in Tas, give em a team and there'll be more interest than now - hypothetically.

Back