TAS Tassie... happening?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Bulldogs blocked the original design for GWS' colours.

As far as I am aware the Team GWS colours were never supposed to be our colours. Just a place holder till the final design was done.

Came down to 2 (Orange and Charcoal or Skyblue and Charcoal) and I, personally, think they went down the wrong path.

But it's 8 years ago now.

Last edited:
As far as I am aware the Team GWS colours were never supposed to be our colours. Just a place holder till the final design was done.

Cmae down to 2 (Orange and Charcoal or Skyblue and Charcoal) and I, personally, think they went down the wrong path.

I think the Giants colours are fantastic. My girlfriend goes for them literally because they have orange in their colours haha.

I think the Giants colours are fantastic. My girlfriend goes for them literally because they have orange in their colours haha.
I love the colours dont get me wrong (Balmain Tiger boy here) but just think skyblue and black would of worked better, would of been good for the Derby too as our opposition is red and white.

Came down to 2 (Orange and Charcoal or Skyblue and Charcoal) and I, personally, think they went down the wrong path.

I'm guessing if there's ever a third team in Sydney eventually, they will take light blue.

Do you have any more info on this? Never heard about it before.

Interesting bit of Info their GG. I believe it wasn't an article but a discussion on the radio i was listening too when GWS was still in the works, everything was still pretty secretive and the clubs i guess were shown private viewing of the strip possibilities. May have been Flog Barret actually, too long ago to remember now, sorry. But there were 2 clubs that had concerns. Bulldogs being the main one who outright said no and Red, White and Blue where distinctly brought up, I remember thinking, they must be daft thinking they would be allowed to use those colours, buy given what you have just added, perhaps the Blue, white and orange was thrown up and the issue was it looked too close to red white and blue? just a thought, seems more likely then the AFL believing they could take another teams colours.

As to the 2nd club that had concerns, i can't remember at all. But you may have answered that with your info as well GG, maybe Port wasn't overly keen with the Blue and charcoal? Just speculating on that though. Leaving only Orange.

Interesting that green was not an option as it seems rather obviously missing from the AFL colour pallet. Aside from Freo including it for a short period. Did they always secretly know that at some point Tassie would need green?

Interesting bit of Info their GG. I believe it wasn't an article but a discussion on the radio i was listening too when GWS was still in the works, everything was still pretty secretive and the clubs i guess were shown private viewing of the strip possibilities. May have been Flog Barret actually, too long ago to remember now, sorry. But there were 2 clubs that had concerns. Bulldogs being the main one who outright said no and Red, White and Blue where distinctly brought up, I remember thinking, they must be daft thinking they would be allowed to use those colours, buy given what you have just added, perhaps the Blue, white and orange was thrown up and the issue was it looked too close to red white and blue? just a thought, seems more likely then the AFL believing they could take another teams colours.

As to the 2nd club that had concerns, i can't remember at all. But you may have answered that with your info as well GG, maybe Port wasn't overly keen with the Blue and charcoal? Just speculating on that though. Leaving only Orange.

Interesting that green was not an option as it seems rather obviously missing from the AFL colour pallet. Aside from Freo including it for a short period. Did they always secretly know that at some point Tassie would need green?
Possibly Tassie with green, but have heard it's not a good look on t.v. with the grass as well.
That could and most probably is bull.

If tassie split the games 6-5 hobart-launy, would it be weird as a local in either city to onlybe able to go to a game once a month during the season?

You don't need a visa to go to either end of the island.

We also have motor carriages here. So for people who wish to go to more than the games played locally in Hobart or Launceston won't have to wait for the Wells Fargo Stagecoach.

You don't need a visa to go to either end of the island.

We also have motor carriages here. So for people who wish to go to more than the games played locally in Hobart or Launceston won't have to wait for the Wells Fargo Stagecoach.
Yeh i get that. But would thousands go or just hundreds?

Well here is what I would do if I was CEO of the AFL.
Offer two licences for 2025. Certain criteria to be met, sponsorship, stadiums etc. Clearly Tassie is one of the teams other options are N.T (must build an indoor stadium) or country Vic (4 games each at bendigo/ballarat/Albury wodonga.
Here is the good part. Tassie buy a Vic team home game and have 6 games at Hobart and 6 at launceston (both must have 20,000 seat stadiums)
Afl has 20 teams. First 19 games you play every team once. Rounds 20, 21 & 22 are split into conference games (2 x WA & SA teams) (2 x NSW & QLD teams) (Carl, Coll, ess, rich) and so on to get second derbies etc.
Final 10 can be worked on but wouldn't be to hard.
Draw might be harder for some as some conferences would be harder than others but probably better than it is currently.
Extra match per week guarantees extra income, guarantees derbies and extra finals. Gets Tassie in with an equitable north south split, gives all areas with an opportunity to mount an argument as to why they should have an afl team.
Everyone's a winner.

Yeh i get that. But would thousands go or just hundreds?

For quite some time many thousands went to the Hawthorn games in Launceston. I heard figures of more than 1/3 of the crowd at most games. I know a few people who made it a regular weekend get away. That has clearly dropped off now.

Even so I doubt the footy diehards would have a problem driving the 400km round trip once a month. Maybe not all would want to travel to see GC, GWS etc. But even for them, many would. Its about your own club after all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From everyone’s favourite commentator

Haha, musn't be too difficult to get an AFL media job now, because that is a ridiculous article.

1) The only evidence given in the article for relocating North is the fact that they play a few games there a year.
2) The AFL doesn't really have the power to relocate a team. Especially North, where the AFL only owns the licence and not the club
3) Does everyone not remember that time North were on their deathbed and were offered a miracle cure of moving to the Gold Coast for ~$150 million, and still refused? What makes anyone think it'll work now, where North is far removed from that financial situation?

Like I said, ridiculous.

Haha, musn't be too difficult to get an AFL media job now, because that is a ridiculous article.

1) The only evidence given in the article for relocating North is the fact that they play a few games there a year.
2) The AFL doesn't really have the power to relocate a team. Especially North, where the AFL only owns the licence and not the club
3) Does everyone not remember that time North were on their deathbed and were offered a miracle cure of moving to the Gold Coast for ~$150 million, and still refused? What makes anyone think it'll work now, where North is far removed from that financial situation?

Like I said, ridiculous.
Agree, only posted it to prove what a fool Derwayne is.
Glad that Tassie are kicking North and the Hawks out though

Like I said, ridiculous.

Absolutely agree. We're sick of stumping up for AFL deadbeats. Its pathetic. Let them sink or swim on their own. Its not doing any favours for Tasmanian football. Its gone way backwards with Hawthorn & North being here.

Surely no more than 18 teams? The standard of football has already dropped to an all time low! Would love to see Tassie in the AFL. Deserves to be in the comp. But the talent is already spread so thin across the competition with grass roots football also struggling. So talent coming through will likely get thinner and thinner. In a perfect world, we'd only have 12 sides and Tassie should be one of them..

Surely no more than 18 teams? The standard of football has already dropped to an all time low! Would love to see Tassie in the AFL. Deserves to be in the comp. But the talent is already spread so thin across the competition with grass roots football also struggling. So talent coming through will likely get thinner and thinner. In a perfect world, we'd only have 12 sides and Tassie should be one of them..
It would be the perfect time for the AFL to improve the game by reducing playing numbers down to 16 and only 2 or 3 on the bench, thus solving two problems (extra playing depth for Tasmania and chronic on-field congestion).

It would be the perfect time for the AFL to improve the game by reducing playing numbers down to 16 and only 2 or 3 on the bench, thus solving two problems (extra playing depth for Tasmania and chronic on-field congestion).
Great idea! Too many spuds playing at the top level these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back