TAS Tassie... happening?

Remove this Banner Ad

Parochialism is about suburb v suburb, town v town, region v region. So it exists everywhere in this whole country. Everywhere else in Qld hates Brisbane, so?

Look at the NRL SOO, NSW v Qld. That is pure parochialism. Yet they all support the national RL team when it plays. We use to have SOO & state games like SA v Vic which united club people to support one team. Whats the difference??????

Carrying on about such things would have meant we never have gotten a state cricket team. Yet Launceston goes to watch the Hobart Hurricanes. How obvious is that?
Didn't think of state cricket and the hurricanes. So it's more an excuse people in the mainland make as to why there isn't a team already.
I think it's going to happen. Gil will try make it his legacy!

Didn't think of state cricket and the hurricanes. So it's more an excuse people in the mainland make as to why there isn't a team already.
I think it's going to happen. Gil will try make it his legacy!

Gil's legacy? Gil is a tosser only interested in himself. His 'answer' to the deline in Tassie footy was to go back to the U18 & VFL teams we had 20 yrs ago which failed to get us anywhere. ie it didn't help, ie he was only concerned with the his AFL image, ie he was only concerned with his image ie he's an idiot.

Gil's legacy? Gil is a tosser only interested in himself. His 'answer' to the deline in Tassie footy was to go back to the U18 & VFL teams we had 20 yrs ago which failed to get us anywhere. ie it didn't help, ie he was only concerned with the his AFL image, ie he was only concerned with his image ie he's an idiot.
Precisely I should have said "legacy"
He's done nothing for the game. If he does this it'll see him shown in a better light.

Yep, I love footy, but hate the AFL. I'd rather stand and watch a local game of football in the outer with friends than attend a sanitised AFL match where you get told to sit down, be slient & don't say a cross word at the umpire.

And? Those clubs in part created the revenue that is then handed back to them - so that is what still makes them viable you could argue.

The alternative to merge or kill off, cull, destroy whatever term you wan to use is to alienate at the minimum 40k members of one club not too mention the non member numbers at x3.

That's probably the reason these "chains" on the rest of the comp are still around, probably because they're still viable.

North off and on field has been close to a basket case for a long time. They have just about been squeezed out of the crowded Melbourne market. Subsidising the North Hobart Roos would be an increase on current levels tho the Tassie Government would chip in.

Relocation would help build a viable supporter base, particularly if the AFL really pulled its finger out and helped grass roots footy in Tas. A ten year plan to ensure the Roos get a minimum of 7 away games in Victoria, ensure the Club invests in a proper Academy (not the ridiculous one they have one now) that develops kids and the game should also be on the table.

And? Those clubs in part created the revenue that is then handed back to them - so that is what still makes them viable you could argue.

The alternative to merge or kill off, cull, destroy whatever term you wan to use is to alienate at the minimum 40k members of one club not too mention the non member numbers at x3.

That's probably the reason these "chains" on the rest of the comp are still around, probably because they're still viable.
I love the idea that the AFL give 'handouts' to clubs. Where the hell do people think the money comes from in the first place?

No I'd say the closet example for a Tassie team in North American sports would be the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Saskatchewan is one of the smallest populated provinces and has two small cities. Riders play in Regina but fans from all over the province make the drive to watch games and it's easily the best supported team in the CFL and the only team that gives the league any credibility, it's also the only show in town outside of the junior hockey and lacrosse which are both well supported

My point is Saskatchewan support their Roughriders with insane passion and pride as it's part of their identity and it's the province's only real representation on a national level. A Tassie team would no doubt have a similar effect.

Erm, you do realise you are agreeeing with me, just using a different example.

Alabama is a football mad state with one of the best supported and most successful college teams in history, yet they have zero major league in ANY major sport...because of the small (by US terms) and widespread population and 'economy'.

The local pride is evident in the average attendances of over 100k!!! for College football!

Last edited:
I have been to the United States three time. I have been to Boston and driven from Boston to New York.

Oh, I didn't realise we were going to play this game. OK then; I live in New York. I read this email on the N train on my way to work. We have traveled to Boston to visit family so many times that its impossible to try and count them. But by all means, tell me more about your holiday.

******* toutists.

I have also been to nashville and there’s no way 1 size of the Victorian population lives close enough to Nissan stadium to be classed as having the supporter base of Victoria. I’m not underestimating the amount of people are being inflated by others who think for example Nashville is a big market it’s not.

Greater Nashville has a population of almost 2 million people (making it notably bigger than Adelaide). Tennessee as a whole is about 500k bigger than Victoria. Tennessee is also a much smaller land area, and surrounding states such as Kentucky and Alabama have no teams but have throngs of people within easy driving distance. Birmingham (1.1 million) and Louisville (1.3 million) are both about two and a half hours away. And that's not including the countless smaller towns and communities within the same radius. So yeah, you're right; there isn't 1 size of the Victorian population lives close to Nissan Stadium; it would be closer to 2.

North off and on field has been close to a basket case for a long time. They have just about been squeezed out of the crowded Melbourne market. Subsidising the North Hobart Roos would be an increase on current levels tho the Tassie Government would chip in.

Relocation would help build a viable supporter base, particularly if the AFL really pulled its finger out and helped grass roots footy in Tas. A ten year plan to ensure the Roos get a minimum of 7 away games in Victoria, ensure the Club invests in a proper Academy (not the ridiculous one they have one now) that develops kids and the game should also be on the table.

Profits each year for 10 or so years, minimal debt, all while copping the leftovers of fixtures and a terrible stadium deal....yeah real basket case.

On field have been reasonably consistent and competitive.

If north are a basket case my word what the heck is Melbourne, St Kilda, Carlton (sorry for dragging other clubs in this)

Or they could just wait until the A league team died in a few years...[/we Give 7 million a year to north and hawthorn take that we could more then afford to run a competitive A league team plus a nbl teams looks like happing with in the next couple years the state government has finally run out of paintcence with the afl if they don’t come to party at the end of the current contracts we will turn our backs on them I think the afl our just starting to realise this !

You don't say! :drunk:

https://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2019-02-26/norths-decade-of-profit

North’s decade of profit
Feb 26, 2019 1:25PM

North Melbourne has recorded a remarkable tenth profit in the past eleven years.
Coinciding with a promising season, the club achieved a net profit of $1,535,580 (including redevelopment funding and fundraising, and after amortisation and depreciation) for the financial year ending 31 October, 2018.

Overall revenue grew to just under $41m - a $1.28m year-on-year increase - with an operating surplus of $718,136.

North managing director and CEO, Carl Dilena, said the club's members and a strong strategy were critical to the ongoing growth and stability of the club.

North's debt has been drastically slashed, while investment into the football department has increased year-on-year.

“The continuation of the debt reduction program and achievement of operating profits and football department investment has been significant," Dilena said.

"We've been able to reduce bank debt by a further $400K taking our overall debt to just $450K.

"Football expenditure increased by $784K from 2017, largely due to fielding a standalone VFL team. The investment in football is critical to sustained on-field success.

“We will continue this investment in the 2019 season and look forward to another strong season. We are progressing well with an initial $6m rebuild of our facilities to cater for our AFLW, VFLW and VFL teams. The growth in our club is genuinely exciting.”

Dilena said another large factor adding to the positivity at Arden Street was the on-field performance and recent recruiting.

“The team was really competitive throughout the year with twelve wins, doubling the previous year's efforts. We narrowly missed finals but most importantly we showed rapid improvement and proved that we have the talent to compete and beat the best teams in the competition,” Dilena said.

"With our acquisitions during the trade period and draft, we are certainly set for exciting times ahead."

Gee & only $17mill from the AFL & a decent chunk from the Tassie Government to make $1/2mill surplus. Well done, congratulations!!

St Kilda played games in tas and didn’t make that much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee & only $17mill from the AFL & a decent chunk from the Tassie Government to make $1/2mill surplus. Well done, congratulations!!

All clubs receive at least $10 million from the AFL each year, and 5 clubs receive more from the AFL than North's $15.9 million (2018), including 2 Vic clubs. Your own powerhouse club receives almost $11 million, and wouldn't turn a profit without it.

Let's get back onto the topic of Tassie's inevitable AFL team.

All clubs receive at least $10 million from the AFL each year, and 5 clubs receive more from the AFL than North's $15.9 million (2018), including 2 Vic clubs. Your own powerhouse club receives almost $11 million, and wouldn't turn a profit without it.

Let's get back onto the topic of Tassie's inevitable AFL team.

Always happy to, but others like to 'discuss' other clubs, as if that matters. Also such erroneous matters as parochialism, or that some how Tasmanians following Vic clubs are so rusted on that they won't change like people have done in every other state. All that sort of crap.

Getting rid of Hawthorn, North & a sound business plan is where its at.

North? I'll pull you up right there, they've been making profit for the last 10 years which is besides the point anyway.

• The locals won't go for a re badged North, they want their own. Ask any Tas local they won't go for the "North Hobart Roos"
  • I'd imagine current North members would rather be in favour of their current situation instead of relocating to another state. How many members do they have again? Is it roughly 40k? You could argue thrice that for non members right?
I get your sentiment especially regarding the academy but the method in particular the relocation of a club is what no one wants.

North? I'll pull you up right there, they've been making profit for the last 10 years which is besides the point anyway.

• The locals won't go for a re badged North, they want their own. Ask any Tas local they won't go for the "North Hobart Roos"
  • I'd imagine current North members would rather be in favour of their current situation instead of relocating to another state. How many members do they have again? Is it roughly 40k? You could argue thrice that for non members right?
I get your sentiment especially regarding the academy but the method in particular the relocation of a club is what no one wants.

I know I'm only one person representing one example, however as someone who is proud to have grown up in Tassie I think I'd drop West Coast tomorrow if we had a true Tassie team come in. It's impossible to say for sure, cos I think we choose our teams with our hearts rather than our heads - but at the very least I'd become a foundation and ongoing member.

A relocated North though? I'd have less than no interest in that. In fact it'd make me more negative towards North, because it would be viewed by me (and undoubtedly by many others) as a cynical attempt to prop up a Melbourne team at the expense of one that would truly be ours.

Anyone from Tassie out there?
This North South divide people talk about, how real is it, and do you think for the sake of a team in Tasmania you could put your differences aside?
It’s just a bit of fun. It’s really more urban/rural like elsewhere in Australia. Hobart is a city and the rest of the state is country and large towns. You need to remember that most Tasmanians have family and ancestry from across the state.

There's been some prety nasty winds at Bellerive, and fog at York Park. Hobart's air temp near the river at night is no colder than much of Melbourne's. Lonny does drop below zero in mid-winter but daytimes is normally not that different to Melbourne (except on days where the fog rolls in and doesn't lift).
They both drain well, so even when the rain hits (and Hobart doesn't get a lot of heavy rain) they're both playable. Moreso than the surface at Docklands often becomes despite its protections. Launceston does get heavy rain, but probably rains less than Melbourne and I can't recall York park ever being a boghole - one area in front of the old scroeboard before the ground was done up used to get that way, but that's about it. (Amazing for a ground built on a rubbish tip on a swamp.)
If the NRL can have North Queensland play night matches in Canberra, the AFL can handle having Vic sides play night games in Launceston. Weather isn't an issue.
Clearly the weather is cooler in Tasmania. But Hobart gets the equivalent amount of sun to Melbourne, whereas Launceston recieves about 17% more sun (or an hour a day) than Melbourne. Most night games should be played in Hobart where the weather is more likely to be milder overnight and less likely to have fog. Night games in Launceston in March/April/May is reasonable enough.

I know I'm only one person representing one example, however as someone who is proud to have grown up in Tassie I think I'd drop West Coast tomorrow if we had a true Tassie team come in. It's impossible to say for sure, cos I think we choose our teams with our hearts rather than our heads - but at the very least I'd become a foundation and ongoing member.

A relocated North though? I'd have less than no interest in that. In fact it'd make me more negative towards North, because it would be viewed by me (and undoubtedly by many others) as a cynical attempt to prop up a Melbourne team at the expense of one that would truly be ours.

And I'd imagine you'd be in the overwhelming majority.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back