• Devils

Votes: 270 85.4%
  • Tasmanian Tigers

Votes: 27 8.5%

• Total voters
Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
For a start, why do people think the the team name will be 'Tasmania' ??

That is the state team (if that ever happens again) so it has to be Hobart or something similar.

As for the nickname and/or logo ............ The Bass Straits ??

Devils is too obvious and already done, apples is wimpy, two-heads too disrespectful, that thing needs a little more thought.

My assumption is that they would split home games across both Hobart and Launceston.

Apr 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It can't be. You can't have the Demons & Devils play in the same competition.

Tassie is a bit unlucky here. Two of the most logical nicknames for them are already taken.

Tasmania Rams?
Why not?
Others have made the points that there are Cats, Lions & Tigers on the feline theme and Crows, Magpies, Hawks, Swans and Eagles for birds

GWT6

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2011
Western Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Why not?
Others have made the points that there are Cats, Lions & Tigers on the feline theme and Crows, Magpies, Hawks, Swans and Eagles for birds
No, much different - would be like having a new team called the Tassie Kittens, Hobart Bengal Tigers or Launceston Lioness. The Devil/Demon name and Tigers are not an option.

"Southern Sister F**ckers" is the best option.

For a start, why do people think the the team name will be 'Tasmania' ??

Because there is almost a 0% chance that we see a 2nd Tasmanian team in the AFL in any of our lifetimes.

It won't be a city, that I'm sure of. It will be Tasmania.

Tasmania United.

North and south coming together. United against the mainland. Tassie is a strong enough name in itself. It doesn’t need a traditional nickname.

Sounds too much like a soccer team name. Also feeds into the myth that there actually is a divide.

wizcapper

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I really don't like the idea of an AFL club representing a state. That is what state football is for. Anyway, I think they should be called the Hobart Swagmen ("C'mon the Swaggies!").
There's my two cents.

GWT6

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2011
Western Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
The "Tassie Tortoises"

Not to be confused with Turtles, which spend most of their life in the water, the Tortoise can not swim. As we all know a South Australian is just a Tasmanian that learned to swim, so anyone left on that island is pretty much a Tortoise.

Perfect name.

Back