Tassie to rejoin the VFL | BigFooty
  1. New Image Editor now Live

A basic image editor is now available to all users. Improvements are still in the works, but it is usable right now. Just hit "Edit Image" when you upload an image into a post. Try It ...

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Tassie to rejoin the VFL

Discussion in 'VFL Board' started by eth-dog, Jun 29, 2018.

1. eth-dog

eth-dog Premium Platinum

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
    I've been paywalled but apparently Tassie will have a team in the VFL next year, which would bring the number of teams up to 16. You'd have to assume that clubs like Coburg and Frankston would have to not travel down there, the costs could cripple them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Howard Littlejohn

Howard Littlejohn Brownlow Medallist

North Melbourne
    Oh, ffs, this better not be true. We need Tassie footy fixed not whored out to Victoria again. At least Wade still isn't there to use the whole setup as nothing more than photo ops with AFL "names".

3. eth-dog

eth-dog Premium Platinum

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
    It's not great for minor VFL clubs either. The travel unless assisted by AFL Vic could seriously dent their financials.

4. madmug

madmug Brownlow Medallist

Collingwood
    It was a failure last time due to AFLWade's shyte management. This time its even sillier. No one knows where the VFL is going. If the AFL restarts its reserves competition, the VFL would be meaningless. Tasmania's participation likewise would be pointless. Even so, whats the value of spending huge sums on airfares & accommodation. Pointless waste of money.

5. MFV94

MFV94 Debutant

North Melbourne
  6. Dogs till i die

Dogs till i die All Australian

Western Bulldogs
    Other Teams:
    Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
    Just dont think the VFL is the answer to Tassie's problems. Tried before.

TAC and AFLW yes to encourage the youth and women but not at VFL level.

7. Obi fella

Obi fella All Australian

Western Bulldogs
    Other Teams:
    Williamstown
    ...unless there is a pathway to a higher league. I hope so... Tassie deserve an AFL gig

8. Bitoraj

Bitoraj Draftee

Richmond
    Tasmanian Australian Rules Football really needs alot of work done for it to be sustainable.

9. madmug

madmug Brownlow Medallist

Collingwood
    Its sustainable. The level to which its sustainable is the issue.

The AFL has dominated over all the original state leagues. The difference here is that while our football has been diminished by the dominance of the AFL, we didn't get an AFL club to balance out the shift in focus. Every other state has benefited by having AFL clubs. At least the NT play in the opposite season so isn't affected. The TSL copped the negative aspects of the AFL, but Tassie has gotten none of the benefits.

This 2nd go around in the VFL is just AFWOT. It got nowhere last time. Whats the point of doing it all again. Running some even more diminished state league & a VFL team at the same time is JAF joke.

10. Fizzler

Fizzler The Million Man

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    BOLTS, REN, OKC, WFC, SCS, STORM
    I imagine that the TAC Cup team is what will have the most potential. I see the VFL team as an extension to the TAC Cup team. I reckon this new setup will cause more Dayne Zorko type stories. Zorko was ignored in 3 consecutive drafts because the QAFL wasn’t rated by scouts. Once Zorko dominated in a rep game v WAFL and played a season in the NEAFL, he made the AFL. I think the new TAC Cup Setup is designed to expose Tasmanian (and QLD and NSW) players to better competition and selectors.

11. BobbyMorri

BobbyMorri Norm Smith Medallist

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Scunny, Furth
    If you want to make it to the AFL, you already can't play in the TSL as a mature age player. Our best players often move interstate if they want a shot at it. See Ben Brown.

I guess it will help those cases a little. But i just don't see the talent or "care" by the public to make the VFL work, even for a year or 2 like last time.

We all know the AFL are just doing this to shut us up. And when it fails, they will just use it as an excuse.

Edit: Case in point for a Tasmanian moving states which happened today

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018 at 8:03 PM
    madmug and Fizzler like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)