anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
Not sure if there is a post about this but...
Can the AFL afford to be introducing a 19th team into the competition in the next few years.
To me, we are fielding too many kids into our competition already. Some will never make it. Never were going to make it.
The AFL killed off all second tier competitions in Tassie, but now it seems that this has been a bad idea.
When or if, the AFL introduce Tassie into the competition, how long will it be before the punters are saying to bring another team in to balance an already unbalanced competition.

Not sure if there is a post about this but...
Can the AFL afford to be introducing a 19th team into the competition in the next few years.
To me, we are fielding too many kids into our competition already. Some will never make it. Never were going to make it.
The AFL killed off all second tier competitions in Tassie, but now it seems that this has been a bad idea.
When or if, the AFL introduce Tassie into the competition, how long will it be before the punters are saying to bring another team in to balance an already unbalanced competition.
I don't think They will introduce a Tassie team until they get together a 20th team but I expect a NT team will be that 20th team. That way the AFL can market as a true national competition.

As for players. There are a few that can be found in both states but the lack of a team in those states gives less incentive for young boys to try themselves for AFL. It's similar to the women league how young girls never had that pathway until recently. Tasmania produces at least 1 player every year and Gold coast has access to Darwin's academy who at least get 1 a year. A team in both states will push to half a dozen each at least.

Financial sides of things is the big problem for both but I think the Tasmanian state will handle that since they're the ones pushing for the team. That leaves NT or whichever other team to come in to be financially supported probably by the AFL. I think that wont happen until 1 of GWS or GCS are more financially stable unless the team is from WA or SA where they're financially better supported.

I hope they are named the Devils or the Dambusters. Jumper should be dark green as well, maybe with black or dark brown

Tassie must come into the competition as a stand-alone team with the Tasmanian colours of Bottle Green, Yellow and Red. The team can be called anything that resonates with the public, Tassie Devils, Tassie Seals or Tassie Pines? But they must seek out public empathy for their own team playing out of both cities...6 games in Hobart and 5 in Launceston. A relocated team will not work.

There have been about 85 posts on this. Summary:

Tas govt stop funding N Melbourne and Hawthorn to play in Tasmania, AFL should bite bullet and give Tas a licence. If not the AFL can fk off out of Tassie.

Business case stacks up - has been demonstrated

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be even more of a disaster than Tasmania.

If the AFL are going to introduce the money black hole team of Tasmania then I think a 3rd WA team is the only option for a 20th team as it is the only state that could theoretically sustain another AFL team without needing massive AFL support.

I don't think They will introduce a Tassie team until they get together a 20th team but I expect a NT team will be that 20th team. That way the AFL can market as a true national competition.

As for players. There are a few that can be found in both states but the lack of a team in those states gives less incentive for young boys to try themselves for AFL. It's similar to the women league how young girls never had that pathway until recently. Tasmania produces at least 1 player every year and Gold coast has access to Darwin's academy who at least get 1 a year. A team in both states will push to half a dozen each at least.

Financial sides of things is the big problem for both but I think the Tasmanian state will handle that since they're the ones pushing for the team. That leaves NT or whichever other team to come in to be financially supported probably by the AFL. I think that wont happen until 1 of GWS or GCS are more financially stable unless the team is from WA or SA where they're financially better supported.

Why does NT make it a national competition but not Canberra? Brain ?

I love footy and knew most players form most sides, thus having a good connection.

As a result I could watch not only Port play, not only the big neutral clashes but ordinary games. Having 18 sides, rather than 16 in my opinion has made it more difficult to maintain the connection and growing to 20 sides even harder.

It will happen though and eventually we will have 24 sides, two conferences and return to 22 rounds with each conferences playing each other twice.

My punt is Tassie, Canberra, NT, NZ, Newcastle and FNQ will all eventually have a side. With Tassie, NZ, FNQ and NT all requiring indoor stadiums........that's expensive.

Not sure how Tassie would work unless a 20th team is brought in at or around the same time.

Having 19 teams still means 9 games per round, therefore no additional broadcast money.

Having 19 teams means each team plays 18 games a year (for a fair fixture), meaning less games = less broadcaster money.

Tassie can’t be funded unless them and another new team enters the league at the same time.

Too many teams already. Gold coast and gws failed experiments. Get rid of them. Too many Vic teams as well. Pick 1 out of St Kilda, north or the Bulldogs to fold.
Bring in Tasmanian team and back to a 16 team comp which worked well.

It will never happen but the AFL is truly an AFL should have less Vic sides. It is true that GC and GWS (merge with roos, dogs, saints or dees) aren't working but they like the Lions and Swans should be hybrid sides until their own local supporter base is established.

Returning to 12 sides would see an even comp with 22 rounds.

Most importantly the WAFL, SANFL and VFL would be stronger leagues with less quality players stripped from the local leagues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back