Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
It will never happen but the AFL is truly an AFL should have less Vic sides. It is true that GC and GWS (merge with roos, dogs, saints or dees) aren't working but they like the Lions and Swans should be hybrid sides until their own local supporter base is established.

Returning to 12 sides would see an even comp with 22 rounds.

Most importantly the WAFL, SANFL and VFL would be stronger leagues with less quality players stripped from the local leagues.

I personally think the perfect balance would be

VIC - 6 teams
WA - 3 teams
SA - 2 teams
NSW - 2 teams
QLD - 2 teams
TAS - 1 team

I would however settle for

VIC - 8 teams
WA - 3 teams
SA - 2 teams
NSW - 2 teams
QLD - 2 teams
TAS - 1 team

Giantman

Debutant
Feb 4, 2012
Australia
AFL Club
GWS
Too many teams already. Gold coast and gws failed experiments. Get rid of them. Too many Vic teams as well. Pick 1 out of St Kilda, north or the Bulldogs to fold.
Bring in Tasmanian team and back to a 16 team comp which worked well.
You don't get it...GWS and GC are about making sure an AFL match is played in NSW and Qld every week....so the strongly supported clubs in AFL ie Geelong, Richmond, Essendon, Carlton Collingwood appear twice yearly in those states. Both Brisbane and Swans have significantly increased their memberships since GC and GWS came in....They have to have on field success to do this but also footy gets more publicity in those states simply because GC + GWS are there. The whole thing is about Club v Club on and off the field. It aint solely about individual clubs

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I personally think the perfect balance would be

VIC - 6 teams
WA - 3 teams
SA - 2 teams
NSW - 2 teams
QLD - 2 teams
TAS - 1 team
Yeah, that's 16 teams, and way down the track, you could expand it to 18 teams with one in the NT and one more in SA. What 4 Vic sides do you eliminate, though? Or do you relocate them?

Maybe something like Hawks, Cats, Blues, Bombers, Pies, Tigers in Vic, Eagles, Dockers, relocated Dogs in WA, Crows, Power, relocated Saints in SA, Swans and Giants in NSW, Lions and Suns in Qld, Roos in Tassie, relocated Demons in NT.

Last edited:
Only way to work it is to reduce sides. Best solution is to reduce the non-football states to 1 team each and create a new Tasmanian licence.

VIC - 10 teams
WA - 1 teams
SA - 1 teams
NSW - 1 teams
QLD - 1 teams
TAS - 1 team

Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Washington Generals
I'd forget the NT for the time being. Stagnant population growth and too wet in footy season.

Tassie a certainty for mine if they build a stadium with a roof - 4 games in Launceston the rest in Hobart.

If the AFL wanted to be bold (and be dominant forever in Australia) I'd relocate or start a team in Cairns - all games played during the day though.

BigPond101

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
We dont have the population for 20 teams. The players arent talented enough to carry out complicated gameplans dreampt up by bloated coaches justifying their jobs. Unless the game is simplified by zones or something forcing teams to have set forwards and backs and maybe less players on the field

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Why does NT make it a national competition but not Canberra? Brain ?
Yeah, I've said it before, but I'd go Tassie late 2020s, Canberra early 2030s, WA3 mid-2040s, SA3 late 2040s, NT late 2050s, NQLD early 2060s. 24 teams, 24 rounds. I don't know if a top 8 would work. I've heard people say you could have two divisions, 12 teams each, 22 rounds.

The problem with that is you'll get some seasons where Essendon never plays Collingwood and so on. I'm against a Victorian division and a non-Victorian division because I'd have the two division winners play off against each other in the grand final. It'd be unfair if the Victorian winner goes into the GF without having to travel all season.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Yeah, I've said it before, but I'd go Tassie late 2020s, Canberra early 2030s, WA3 mid-2040s, SA3 late 2040s, NT late 2050s, NQLD early 2060s. 24 teams, 24 rounds. I don't know if a top 8 would work. I've heard people say you could have two divisions, 12 teams each, 22 rounds.

The problem with that is you'll get some seasons where Essendon never plays Collingwood and so on. I'm against a Victorian division and a non-Victorian division because I'd have the two division winners play off against each other in the grand final. It'd be unfair if the Victorian winner goes into the GF without having to travel all season.

Where do the supporters of these new clubs come from ? The amo's are the league for you.

Why do people so dislike the best v the best.

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
It will never happen but the AFL is truly an AFL should have less Vic sides. It is true that GC and GWS (merge with roos, dogs, saints or dees) aren't working but they like the Lions and Swans should be hybrid sides until their own local supporter base is established.

Most importantly the WAFL, SANFL and VFL would be stronger leagues with less quality players stripped from the local leagues.
If we’re doing it right then a Sturt Norwood merger so we can remove the make believe plastic Crows

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
If we’re doing it right then a Sturt Norwood merger so we can remove the make believe plastic Crows

The angst in Adelaide makes the WA solution look better & better, even though SA were correct to not be so keen.

The Tas Government should look to the WA model & take back control of the local game from the Melbourne centric AFL from day ONE.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

unfortunately that ship has sailed but it should have been Port and Norwood being elevated into the big league

with feeder clubs being north, centrals, west and woodville to port; and
glenelg, south, sturt and torrens to norwood

The AFL lost a huge opportunity by allowing the SANFL to get involved with the two SA clubs

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
unfortunately that ship has sailed but it should have been Port and Norwood being elevated into the big league

with feeder clubs being north, centrals, west and woodville to port; and
glenelg, south, sturt and torrens to norwood

The AFL lost a huge opportunity by allowing the SANFL to get involved with the two SA clubs
Opposition fan living in SA so I’d obviously be sick of hearing about both teams but I think you should get access to academies like the north east states get at the very least.

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Why does NT make it a national competition but not Canberra? Brain ?
Because Canberra/ACT is actually part of GWS in a way. NT needs a football club of their own because the kids there need the opportunity to play at the highest level. In the past teams would pick players from NT but there was a huge problem with the kids unable to stay at the clubs being so close to their family and culture is quite different. A club in NT will help kids start playing at the top level and improve the chances of them willing to move clubs in the future.

For the population problem and wage disparity they only need at least 20k to sign up as full members and many will still go to games to fill a stadium. There are companies in Darwin that would probably love to sponsor a team to get exposure for their business.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Because Canberra/ACT is actually part of GWS in a way. NT needs a football club of their own because the kids there need the opportunity to play at the highest level. In the past teams would pick players from NT but there was a huge problem with the kids unable to stay at the clubs being so close to their family and culture is quite different. A club in NT will help kids start playing at the top level and improve the chances of them willing to move clubs in the future.

For the population problem and wage disparity they only need at least 20k to sign up as full members and many will still go to games to fill a stadium. There are companies in Darwin that would probably love to sponsor a team to get exposure for their business.

If Canberra is part of GWS then NT is part of Melbourne.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The angst in Adelaide makes the WA solution look better & better, even though SA were correct to not be so keen.

The Tas Government should look to the WA model & take back control of the local game from the Melbourne centric AFL from day ONE.
Problem is, what remains of the local game in Tas relies almost solely on AFL funding. It would have happened anyway, but both the AFL and the (AFL directed) local management have been focussed on drawing every dollar out of Tasmania and into media revenue to the point of (somtimes seemingly deliberately) wrecking the game at every other level along the way.
Its one of those points where the AFL's conflict of being a league and supposed custodians of the game have seen the game put to death for the benefit of the league.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Problem is, what remains of the local game in Tas relies almost solely on AFL funding. It would have happened anyway, but both the AFL and the (AFL directed) local management have been focussed on drawing every dollar out of Tasmania and into media revenue to the point of (somtimes seemingly deliberately) wrecking the game at every other level along the way.
Its one of those points where the AFL's conflict of being a league and supposed custodians of the game have seen the game put to death for the benefit of the league.

Exactly why the Tas Govt need to stand up, stop being used & abused by Melbourne.

The AFL want/need the Tas Govt involvement/dollars.

Woolly Mammoth

Shinboner 'til I die
Sep 8, 2013
Terra Australis
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Bengals, Lakers, Renegades, The Milk
Jesus wept 🤦‍♂️, didn't even last until the end of the first page before the thread descended into 'there's too many Vic teams' and ridiculous flights of fantasy about what the perfect league would look like

vxxgd.jpg

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah, that's 16 teams, and way down the track, you could expand it to 18 teams with one in the NT and one more in SA. What 4 Vic sides do you eliminate, though? Or do you relocate them?

Maybe something like Hawks, Cats, Blues, Bombers, Pies, Tigers in Vic, Eagles, Dockers, relocated Dogs in WA, Crows, Power, relocated Saints in SA, Swans and Giants in NSW, Lions and Suns in Qld, Roos in Tassie, relocated Demons in NT.

There is zero chance of a permanent NT team happening EVER.

The climate alone kills it.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There is zero chance of a permanent NT team happening EVER.

The climate alone kills it.
Unfortunately, you might be right, but if that's the case, surely there'll be no Nth Qld team either. You could still have 22 teams playing 22 rounds, though, or 20 playing 22 if you don't add an extra team in WA or SA and restrict the expansion to Tasmania and Canberra.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

The fairest possible fixture would be everyone playing each other once in the first 17 rounds (reverse the fixtures every season) and then making a weighted fixture based on the last 5 rounds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back