Tassie's AFL Team? Never!

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not slagging off Victorian clubs here. Just pointing out that crowds and memberships are not valid comparisons between Victorian and non Victorian clubs because they're not the same product at the same price.

It's not just Perth either - have a look at how much it costs an Adult to get into the SCG this year. A GA ticket is $53.50, and reserved seats are up to $143! For $143 you can nearly buy a full GA membership of any Victorian club. Charge those prices per game and Melbourne's crowd average would be about 15,000, despite games against other Vic clubs.

Games regularly sell out though, especially at the Eagles. I gather you are aware of the difference.

Bollocks. When the AFL had a contract to play 16 games a year at the ground, all clubs bar Carlton campaigned the league to buy it out (which they duly did so that only Carlton would play there) because it drew such god awful crowds. Princes Park is about the same quality stadium as Subiaco.

Seriously, you put Collingwood v Gold Coast at Princes Park, charged $45 a ticket and you'd be lucky if 20k showed up.

Im not saying you dont have valid points Rob, you arent wrong in what your saying. Except about Princes Park. That has everything to do with Ian Collings - and John Elliot - being idiots.

Now lets just get it back to Tassie eh

Would it be Tasmania or Hobart or even Launceston? What would be the best way to do it? Where would they be based? The north v south rivalry has given the AFL an excuse on a platter. It is up to Tasmania to unite as one and fight for what you want. I for one with a lot of people around the country would love to see a Tassie team in the AFL.

Exactly. In addition to the need for a strong business case with corporate and govt support, Tasmania needs to get its house in order. Make the TSL strong, successful, and popular for starters.

The business case seems to be demonstrable in Hobart:
NORTH Melbourne has walked away with close to $2 million from what it calls a "hugely successful" foray into Hobart.
http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2012/07/12/345621_afl.html

The financial argument is shallow, Tas is a goer with the taxpayer support redirected from the Hawks & North.

A Tas side would have 10 home games, the Tas economy is a winner, particularly with ALL Melbourne clubs taking their turn to play there.

Where does the club come from, just check out the crowd @ Etihad for Melbourne v Freo ... Melbourne are VFL legends, send them back there, reallocate the licence to a Tas side circa 2013.

Exactly. In addition to the need for a strong business case with corporate and govt support, Tasmania needs to get its house in order. Make the TSL strong, successful, and popular for starters.

The strength or otherwise of the TSL has SFA to do with having an AFL team in Tasmanis. Up until the NEAFL the Sydney club scene was pretty poor. That didnt stop them having two AFL clubs, did it?
The TSL is a patheticly underfunded league. they receive nothing to help with operational costs. Players are recruited to mainland competitions with almost nothing coming back the other way. Its just a cabbage patch

Anyway, Its just another smoke screen saying somehow we alone must do something with our state league before we get a look into the AFL. It has never applied anywhere else in the country.

The strength or otherwise of the TSL has SFA to do with having an AFL team in Tasmanis. Up until the NEAFL the Sydney club scene was pretty poor. That didnt stop them having two AFL clubs, did it?
The TSL is a patheticly underfunded league. they receive nothing to help with operational costs. Players are recruited to mainland competitions with almost nothing coming back the other way. Its just a cabbage patch

Anyway, Its just another smoke screen saying somehow we alone must do something with our state league before we get a look into the AFL. It has never applied anywhere else in the country.

Tasmania isn't New South Wales. New South Wales didn't need competency because it had one very big upside, piles upon piles of extra TV money.

Tasmania doesn't have that, so the fact that it is a basket case is currently being held against it. I don't like that any more than you do but it's how outsiders see you and a bullet the PTB fires to kill TAS chances.

Tasmania isn't New South Wales. New South Wales didn't need competency because it had one very big upside, piles upon piles of extra TV money.

Tasmania doesn't have that, so the fact that it is a basket case is currently being held against it. I don't like that any more than you do but it's how outsiders see you and a bullet the PTB fires to kill TAS chances.

Having spoken to friends in other states, I think the current economic downturn is affecting other places as well. It will get worse before it gets better.
I still say the way club football is run, or performs in Tasmania would be completely irrellevant to any AFL case.
The economic case does need to be convincing. The current down turn, which will be affecting Victoria more & more as well, will turn around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back