Current Trial Tattooist & 'Body Modifier' charged with manslaughter after a client died

Remove this Banner Ad

A body modifier charged with manslaughter after a plastic snowflake he allegedly implanted in a NSW mother's hand caused a fatal infection has been refused bail.

Brendan Leigh Russell, 37, who worked as body modifier on the Central Coast, also faces a charge of grievous bodily harm following an operation on a second woman.

Russell allegedly implanted the snowflake under a woman's right hand in early 2017. It became infected and she died three weeks later

He was refused bail at Gosford Local Court today and is expected back before the court in October.

Police allege Samantha Strickland had undergone a body modification procedure at Brendan Russell's tattoo shop on the Central Coast.

snowflake.JPG

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2...n-russell-refused-bail-on-manslaughter-charge

He also faces charges of grievous bodily harm on a second woman after performing some sort of procedure.

PLEASE CHECK THESE PEOPLE OUT BEFORE YOU BOOK IN FOR ANY KIND OF PROCEDURE, INCLUDING TATTOOS.

Last edited:
So many questions. But just one for now, what even is a 'body modifier' and what qualifications did this person have?
Body modifications can range from horns in your head, lip implants (permanent) etc

Is it defined as a medical procedure I think is going to be the crucial question

Body modifications can range from horns in your head, lip implants (permanent) etc

Is it defined as a medical procedure I think is going to be the crucial question

Just blurgh ... its one thing taking something out or boring holes into an earlobe but entirely another putting implants in. And unless he's a doctor they would have had those procedures with old fashioned sook cream not a proper anaesthetic.

Just blurgh ... its one thing taking something out or boring holes into an earlobe but entirely another putting implants in. And unless he's a doctor they would have had those procedures with old fashioned sook cream not a proper anaesthetic.
How many had he done previous? Have there been any adverse effects on those people? Does he have a list of procedures that he follows and are documented?

How many had he done previous? Have there been any adverse effects on those people? Does he have a list of procedures that he follows and are documented?

All the questions someone should be asking before any procedure.

Whatever marks and scars I've got, I earned and the last time I broke my nose I got one of the fight doctors from the boxing near Terrigal to fix it but I wouldn't let any of the girls at the salon even go over my face with laser for a resurface. Because they didnt have enough experience. My Mum's spent over $60K on plastic with a top surgeon, she still isn't happy with her face and had her boobs replaced three times. The thought of walking into a tattoo studio for 'body modification' and implants anywhere is mindboggling just ... no.

The best can bugger it up and you can die. Ask Joan Rivers.

Can't ask Joan Rivers, cos she's dead!

All the questions someone should be asking before any procedure.

Whatever marks and scars I've got, I earned and the last time I broke my nose I got one of the fight doctors from the boxing near Terrigal to fix it but I wouldn't let any of the girls at the salon even go over my face with laser for a resurface. Because they didnt have enough experience. My Mum's spent over $60K on plastic with a top surgeon, she still isn't happy with her face and had her boobs replaced three times. The thought of walking into a tattoo studio for 'body modification' and implants anywhere is mindboggling just ... no.

The best can bugger it up and you can die. Just ask Joan Rivers.
Agree on all.

I guess ultimately , for me, it comes down to asking those questions and if I still go ahead then its up to me. Not knowing the full story and not knowing if its a backyard abortion set up or a clean shop , my initial reaction is to regard this is a personal recognisance thing

Agree on all.

I guess ultimately , for me, it comes down to asking those questions and if I still go ahead then its up to me. Not knowing the full story and not knowing if its a backyard abortion set up or a clean shop , my initial reaction is to regard this is a personal recognisance thing

Tattooists have to be registered down here, do the education on alphabet hepatitis etc., and use sterilising equipment but I'm not sure how often they're checked by council. Could be the lines became blurred somewhere when scarification, body piercings and flesh tunnells started to become popular, they've started doing implants flying under the radar. Never heard of it before but trends move fast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back