Beauty & Style Tattoos - Do you have one?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys, I've been intrigued for a while with tattoos. Once I get enough cash I think I might get a small one on the left side of my chest. Something meaningful that I won't ever want to get removed.

I've got a few questions to make:
- Do you have a tattoo?
- What did you get put on?
- How much did it cost?
- What was the experience like, did it hurt?
- Any possible tips or advice?

I'm happy for this thread to be a show and tell for tattoos, but any info would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys,

Gattsby

p.s. - mods feel free to change thread tag if not appropriate

Do you have a tattoo?
- How much did it cost?

yes
couple of hundred (its usually an hourly rate, unless you know the artist)
only hurt on the fleshy bits where the sun dont shine
dont drink grog youll (usually) bleed more, do youre homework, get reccomendations, check out the shop, the artists etc
never rush into getting one

Hey guys, I've been intrigued for a while with tattoos. Once I get enough cash I think I might get a small one on the left side of my chest. Something meaningful that I won't ever want to get removed.

I've got a few questions to make:
- Do you have a tattoo?
- How much did it cost?

I'm happy for this thread to be a show and tell for tattoos, but any info would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys,

Gattsby

p.s. - mods feel free to change thread tag if not appropriate
Yes
Tribal design on my back
All up, around 500ish I think (for over 3 hourd work)
Yeah, but being on my back I chose probably the easiest spot to deal with, when it did hit a few bad spots I just closed my eyes and went to imagination land)
Draw a design up, and put it away for a while (I left mine in a drawer for 6 months). Get it back out, if you still like what you've got, get it, if you seem indecisive, probably not a good idea. Also, like PoppedCorn said, check out a few shops, their work, how professional they all are etc. (check out their FB page if they have one). I can recommend a few places if you're from Perth.

. Something meaningful that I won't ever want to get removed.

You can't seriously suggest any tattoo as being meaningful........(serious, important or worthwhile)

One can try but the effort will fail. Better things to do with ones money than injecting ink under the skin.

You can't seriously suggest any tattoo as being meaningful........(serious, important or worthwhile)

One can try but the effort will fail. Better things to do with ones money than injecting ink under the skin.
Tattoos of lost ones aren't meaningful then?

Nope. Memories.........Pictures...........Momento's serve the purpose better.

If one requires body ink to remember someone, one may be doing it wrong........................Come at me :)
Well, I suppose if the relationships you have in your life are as temporary as paper, then that may be the case :)

Well, I suppose if the relationships you have in your life are as temporary as paper, then that may be the case :)

Well, everything is temporary..................even tattoos.

There may well be someone coming on here and selling a sad story of a lost loved one (and we've all got lost loved ones) but is getting a tattoo really going to make any sense of that loss.
I mean.................why a tattoo? So you can look in the mirror for a trigger of remembrance?
I know one can find all sorts of excuses for all sorts of things but can you really be honest with yourself by saying you got a tattoo of someone...........because you loved them?

If one requires body ink to remember someone, one may be doing it wrong........................Come at me :)

How can a permanent tribute, to a lost love one, drawn into your own flesh not be meaningful?

People can take meaning from many different things. Someone might as you say keep a picture, someone else might write a song, someone else might do something the person loved every year on the day they died, just as someone might get a tattoo as a tribute. Who are you to decide tattoo's can't be meaningful and to question anyone who get's one for that purpose?

How can a permanent tribute, to a lost love one, drawn into your own flesh not be meaningful?

People can take meaning from many different things. Someone might as you say keep a picture, someone else might write a song, someone else might do something the person loved every year on the day they died, just as someone might get a tattoo as a tribute. Who are you to decide tattoo's can't be meaningful and to question anyone who get's one for that purpose?

I knew it would come to the............"Who are you?"............emotive thing.

Doesn't matter who I am and I'm not the one deciding anything, but;
If you really think about it, why would you get facsimile of someone on your body for...........tributes sake? A tribute? Really?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I knew it would come to the............"Who are you?"............emotive thing.

Doesn't matter who I am and I'm not the one deciding anything, but;
If you really think about it, why would you get facsimile of someone on your body for...........tributes sake? A tribute? Really?

I think it probably just comes down to that you hate tattoos. If someone wants to get a tattoo in memory of someone that's there decision, and they have their reasons for it. I'm sure not going to judge them for it.

I think it probably just comes down to that you hate tattoos. If someone wants to get a tattoo in memory of someone that's there decision, and they have their reasons for it. I'm sure not going to judge them for it.

You're right of course, in that it's ones decision as to what they do to their body.
The notion of wearing a printed shirt though, that I couldn't take off for the rest of my life isn't a particularly appealing prospect, so no, I wouldn't get one/two or even one hundred art (?) works.

It's just the reason that people give for getting tattoos that can be quite amusing.
The language used for these acquirements can be quite profound at times and calling tattoos meaningful is a bit of a reach, I feel.

I liked someones response to the topic in another thread, a year or two back when they said; "I thought I'd look cool and pull some chicks"
It wasn't particularly eloquent but it was obviously very honest :)

You're right of course, in that it's ones decision as to what they do to their body.
The notion of wearing a printed shirt though, that I couldn't take off for the rest of my life isn't a particularly appealing prospect, so no, I wouldn't get one/two or even one hundred art (?) works.

It's just the reason that people give for getting tattoos that can be quite amusing.
The language used for these acquirements can be quite profound at times and calling tattoos meaningful is a bit of a reach, I feel.

I liked someones response to the topic in another thread, a year or two back when they said; "I thought I'd look cool and pull some chicks"
It wasn't particularly eloquent but it was obviously very honest :)

I agree, there are certainly people who do it for reasons like this. Plenty of people who do it for the image, I have friends who have done this. But there are also plenty who don't, so I wouldn't paint everyone with the same brush. But we'll agree to disagree!

I agree, there are certainly people who do it for reasons like this. Plenty of people who do it for the image, I have friends who have done this. But there are also plenty who don't, so I wouldn't paint everyone with the same brush. But we'll agree to disagree!

Thanks for your gentle response.
I haven't met and spoken to every person that has ever had a tattoo, so I may yet be surprised.

Message to self: Don't paint everyone with the same brush :thumbsu:

What if you place burns down and you lose all of your pictures and momentous?

What if you place burns down and you lose all of your pictures and momentous?

upload_2015-5-29_17-57-4.png Then you're left with this :)

I don't know........that's a funny question.
If your heart and mind can't connect you to the one you've loved, but looking at an ink facsimile on your back does...............go for it, I guess.

View attachment 138988 Then you're left with this :)

I don't know........that's a funny question.
If your heart and mind can't connect you to the one you've loved, but looking at an ink facsimile on your back does...............go for it, I guess.

Maybe that's an accurate portrait? and the goblin like creature brings a tear to his eye every time he sees it...

I love the tattoo debate. It intrigues me but I have a pretty conservative view. When I grew up tatts were pretty a male domain and really a mark of toughness for boys from the tough suburbs. They were pretty generic, spider webs, skulls, anchors, snakes and swords, birds etc. They were intimidating to the non tatt brigade and could often be home produced which added an extra layer of intrigue. Their owners grew old with their tatts, they faded as their tatts also did. Blue singlets, jeans, a moe and mullet plus a beer gut meant the faded tatts fitted in.

Today the tatt has become a fashion statement. Still generic in the main but more involved, far larger and often impossible to hide. Brands for life. Trouble I see is the average person with a tatt these day is much more image and fashion conscious. The tatt is used for a statement of cool. Often look really great when new, often dont also. Still when I see 20 somethings with really large tatts that have obviously been carefully considered and form a significant part of the fashion statement that person is trying to express I worry. My concern is these people are still likely to be very image conscious when they are 40 or 50 also. They will still care a lot about how they look. I just wonder how they are going to tie their old tatts into their current life. It will become a issue for a lot of people and I am sure there will be a lot of regret for many.

As for the meaningfulness of tatts I am with Harks on this. Cant really take this too seriously as it is such a recent phenomena. If people had at individual times made some sort of decision that a tatt was going to have great meaning as a marker in their life I could be more accepting. The fact hat tatt numbers have exploded and its very much a mob behaviour makes me qusetion how meaningful they are.

The other one that amuses me a bit is a lot of the new Dads i see with their son or daughters name plastered in 3" script down their forearm in a show of great love. As someone who has been both sides of the teenage thing I know there will be days when those fathers will be at loggerheads with that kid and hate looking down and seeing that name. On the flip side there will be days, often the same days, when a son or daughter, will snarl at that father, or mother, and tell them what a dickhead they were for getting that tatt and how much they hate looking at it.

Sorry for the cynicism.

- Do you have a tattoo?

Yeah that's why I'm replying

A couple portraits and other images tied into a "Black God" theme

- How much did it cost?

All up like 2k I think?

Was good.. Was a bit scared but popped a s**t load of Xanax and Valium and had epic tunes cranking so I loved it

Get your hands on some Xanax or Valium

- Do you have a tattoo?

Yeah that's why I'm replying

A couple portraits and other images tied into a "Black God" theme

- How much did it cost?

All up like 2k I think?

Was good.. Was a bit scared but popped a s**t load of Xanax and Valium and had epic tunes cranking so I loved it

Get your hands on some Xanax or Valium

Handy tip, dunno why I didn't think of this before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back