Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

Footballer Tayla Harris has called for the AFL to “fight back” against online bullying and harassment, offering to give up her wage to help combat discriminatory comments.

Harris publicly asked the AFL to employ a social media monitor and remove racist, homophobic and sexist posts in a series of tweets.
The Carlton forward made headlines in 2019 when a photo of her — dubbed “The Kick” — went viral after receiving a flood of crude, hateful comments

How about these people put their accounts on private? How hard is it to do that instead of expecting people to monitor the internet?

Maybe if you didn't expect everyone to kiss your feet on the internet this wouldn't be a problem
These athletes want open accounts so that they can get tonnes of likes and earn sponsorship money but then expect every comment to be favourable and positive.

I'm not condoning poor behaviour on the internet but how naive must you be to think you can rid the internet of everything that isn't nice?

In this thread..... posters #exposing themselves as women haters/racists/homophobes.

What is wrong with Tayla asking the AFL to monitor their social media accounts and block those posting sexist/homophobic/racial abuse? Nothing, totally reasonable and something most big businesses have their SMM do. Did she ask anywhere for there to be a blanket ban on criticism? Don't see it anywhere.

Blocking abusive replies doesn't take away ANYTHING from your life and it improves that of others, makes them happier. Why would you want to prevent that?

I expect plenty of rational, well reasoned responses to this

Last edited:

How about these people put their accounts on private? How hard is it to do that instead of expecting people to monitor the internet?

Maybe if you didn't expect everyone to kiss your feet on the internet this wouldn't be a problem
These athletes want open accounts so that they can get tonnes of likes and earn sponsorship money but then expect every comment to be favourable and positive.

I'm not condoning poor behaviour on the internet but how naive must you be to think you can rid the internet of everything that isn't nice?
Ah yes, the old ignore it and it will stop method which has worked so well for everything ever. The same method used by the cops before a guy set his wife and children on fire.

Ah yes, the old ignore it and it will stop method which has worked so well for everything ever. The same method used by the cops before a guy set his wife and children on fire.
What a horrible example. Putting your account on private literally solves the problem

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Indeed, it should definitely be the responsibility of the person being abused to leave to avoid the abuse, instead of the people doing the abuse to stop.
If you wanna start a thread asking the 100s of millions of people who post everyday to stop then go right ahead. Meanwhile I'll come up with an actual solution to her sooking.

Why should someone have to put their account on private because cowards want to abuse people freely?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
While the internet exists people will say things you don't like. Why blame everyone else when you can deal with a problem yourself.

If you wanna start a thread asking the 100s of millions of people who post everyday to stop then go right ahead. Meanwhile I'll come up with an actual solution to her sooking.
Don't like her sooking, don't read it. Isn't that your own advice to solve the problem?

Exactly! If you don't want to be the victim of abuse then just renounce every aspect of your public life and never leave your house again. It's her own fault for wanting to be good at a popular sport, really.
Don't like her sooking, don't read it. Isn't that your own advice to solve the problem?

Haha so you guys don't actually have counter arguments. Good to know.

In this thread..... posters #exposing themselves as women haters/racists/homophobes.

What is wrong with Tayla asking the AFL to monitor their social media accounts and block those posting sexist/homophobic/racial abuse? Nothing, totally reasonable and something most big businesses have their SMM do. Did she ask anywhere for there to be a blanket ban on criticism? Don't see it anywhere.

Blocking abusive replies doesn't take away ANYTHING from your life and it improves that of others, makes them happier. Why would you want to prevent that?

I expect plenty of rational, well reasoned responses to this

The only problem is who decides what's sexist/homophobic/racial abuse ? sometimes its obvious sure but a lot of the time its just people looking to be offended.

OP is an idiot.

His version of 'sooking' appears to be anyone who speaks up about s**t behaviour.

* that, people should speak up and the AFL in this instance should protect its players from on-line abuse as much as it can.

I wonder if the OP would have the guts to say this to her face?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back