Tayla Harris - Where will she end up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tayla Harris is paid a base salary of $25,000, but currently receives a package of around $80,000 for other work she does at Carlton.

There are arguments for and against Harris getting paid more for the work she does in promoting the game and the league to a broader audience but surely that is something that needs to be considered by the AFL as it is the one who benefits from the greater exposure rather than the Carton Footy Club. Her off field status also opens up commercial sponsorship opportunities outside the AFLW that are not available to other players and which will folow her after she leaves the sport.

If you go down that path of singling out individual players for extra payments befitting their their (self nominated in this case) 'icon' status (as opposed to on field performance) then you open up a whole new can of worms about who makes that judgement call etc. Before long you create a class division within the sport based on who has the highest media profile that has the capacity to create significant disharmony within clubs and the AFLW.

More importantly, Harris' manager is making claims about the sacrifices and contribution to the game being made by his client as if they are unique - they are not.

Take the case of Erin Phillips. An athlete of international status in her original chosen sport of basketball who I would argue was the first 'superstar' of the AFLW for both her on field abilities and work in promoting the game off field. She continues to be an 'icon' on and off-field, not just for her team, the Crows, but the sport in general. If anyone has lifted the status of the sport over its early years it has been Erin Phillips. And she has done it with quiet humility.

IMHO Harris' manager is doing a great to dis-service to his client's reputation by going down the path he has chosen.

I'd be surprised if Carlton want to keep her. Not if they want to win football games anyway. It's gotta be grating to other, better players that she can command such a high salary for supposed marketability.
TBH I'm not sure she's all that marketable anyway. Every bog ordinary game she plays just adds to the story of someone that gets far too much exposure.

She is quite comfortably the best pack mark in the competition in my view. She also has a pretty exceptional kicking technique (though she shanks it often)

Is it exceptional if she shanks it a lot? It 'looks' nice though, no doubt.

IMHO Harris' manager is doing a great to dis-service to his client's reputation by going down the path he has chosen.

Her manager is a she just FYI, Alex Saundry is the same Alex Saundry who played for GWS in the first season of AFLW

Tayla Harris is paid a base salary of $25,000, but currently receives a package of around $80,000 for other work she does at Carlton.

There are arguments for and against Harris getting paid more for the work she does in promoting the game and the league to a broader audience but surely that is something that needs to be considered by the AFL as it is the one who benefits from the greater exposure rather than the Carton Footy Club.
If Carlton didn't benefit, they wouldn't do it. Nobody is forcing them to entertain her asking price.

More importantly, Harris' manager is making claims about the sacrifices and contribution to the game being made by his client as if they are unique - they are not.

Take the case of Erin Phillips. An athlete of international status in her original chosen sport of basketball who I would argue was the first 'superstar' of the AFLW for both her on field abilities and work in promoting the game off field. She continues to be an 'icon' on and off-field, not just for her team, the Crows, but the sport in general. If anyone has lifted the status of the sport over its early years it has been Erin Phillips. And she has done it with quiet humility.
What's your point? Do you think Erin Phillips is playing for free?

It's gotta be grating to other, better players that she can command such a high salary for supposed marketability.
TBH I'm not sure she's all that marketable anyway. Every bog ordinary game she plays just adds to the story of someone that gets far too much exposure.
Other better players are being looked after just fine.

I find it grating to read the repeated insinuations in this thread that AFLW players are little more than jealous bitches who can't mind their own business.

If Carlton didn't benefit, they wouldn't do it. Nobody is forcing them to entertain her asking price.

What's your point? Do you think Erin Phillips is playing for free?

Other better players are being looked after just fine.

I find it grating to read the repeated insinuations in this thread that AFLW players are little more than jealous bitches who can't mind their own business.

Are you reading into posts what you want to believe, e.g Erin Phillips .... why would you see the comments as anything other than what was written. Faux outrage? Why?

Are you reading into posts what you want to believe, e.g Erin Phillips .... why would you see the comments as anything other than what was written. Faux outrage? Why?
Be quiet.

Next year:
2x Tier 1 @ $37,155
6x Tier 2 @ $28,697
6x Tier 3 @ $24,468
Everyone else Tier 4 @ $20,239
The CBA lists the TPP as $717,122. You're also allowed a 3rd tier 1 player, but need to adjust the lower tiers so as to not exceed the TPP.

There's also an additional services agreement, which is minimum of $50,000 and a maximum of $100,000 across each team. There's an additional appearances fee, which is an hourly rate and I don't think counts toward the above stuff, but I could be wrong on that. There's also some players that have been employed by their clubs in a different capacity, which I don't believe is considered part of the CBA.

Thanks so she is almost trying to argue that she is worth 15% of the total cap.

Not going to happen. And no other club will step up to offer it either. Her manager has made a real mess of this and I suspect she is about to learn a very hard life lesson.

I think she's definitely worth it to the AFLW as an ambassador, but not to Carlton based on her output.

If she wants extra then the AFL should pony up.
If it's up to the club, it ties the hands of Carlton and any other club that might be involved in a future trade.

Ever worked at a place with a lot of employees? How do you reckon it would go down if it was known that 1 very average employee was getting 5 times the salary of others doing a better job?

I guess they'd all be just jealous bitches who can't mind their own business?

It would make for a toxic workplace.

Ever worked at a place with a lot of employees? How do you reckon it would go down if it was known that 1 very average employee was getting 5 times the salary of others doing a better job?

I guess they'd all be just jealous bitches who can't mind their own business?

It would make for a toxic workplace.
Not making a comment on Harris, but plenty of workplaces see people get big bonuses based on revenue generation, not actual work performance.

If a player is bringing fans through the gates, and their merchandise is the biggest seller then they inherently have more value than a player with equivalent performance on field that doesn't do those things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The moment AFLW gets Friday night ratings that the men were getting in the 90's, attendances the men were getting in the 90's with spectators paying a relatively similar amount as back then is when players like Tayla Harris can get their big pay day and go fully professional.

But $100k per year is nothing to sneeze at for a 2-3 months season (plus training of course) to do a hobby or passion.

Thanks so she is almost trying to argue that she is worth 15% of the total cap.
Well no, most of it would be outside the cap, so she's not trying to argue that at all.
How do you reckon it would go down if it was known that 1 very average employee was getting 5 times the salary of others doing a better job?
Such a scenario doesn't even apply here. Harris' total output at Carlton has been well above average, there has been 1 better performed player at the club during her 4 years and she's being taken care of pretty well too.

And besides that, you're very naive if you don't think there's a Kaitlyn Ashmore or Sarah Hosking at every club who makes more money than what their on-field performance might suggest. Somehow the world continues to turn, everybody is able to get on with their day.

Lets be quite frank. Tayla Harris isn't known for her AFL sporting ability. She is known for a photo that was taken of her kicking a ball that generated discussions (wrongfully ill add) of sexuality.

IMO this is pretty clear cut........If Carlton want to keep her based on her sporting ability then they clearly don't pay her requested contract, if she is willing to leave the game because she can get a better pay day in boxing well then that's her prerogative. No real difference to any other sport.

If the AFL see a revenue benefit and want to cover the difference in her Carlton contract as a "marketing Bonus" that's fine too, but the AFL would need to be prepared what precedence that sets when the other WAFL players come knocking at the door.

As a person who doesn't find much interest in the women's game, the names of the likes of Erin Phillips lure me to watch more so than Tayla Harris would.

Not making a comment on Harris, but plenty of workplaces see people get big bonuses based on revenue generation, not actual work performance.

If a player is bringing fans through the gates, and their merchandise is the biggest seller then they inherently have more value than a player with equivalent performance on field that doesn't do those things.

Absolutely, but I don't think Harris' impact on the gate is anything close to the numbers being thrown around. On media minutes it's probably close to the mark, but personally I think that detracts from the league instead of promoting it. It turns the league into a sideshow.

Could do with a key forward at north...
Would we be willing to trade our first rounder?
AFLW's dynamic means it's not worth it tbh, Harris is an exceptional mark and kick when she's on, but she phases out of games and doesn't come back in when the tides against her. The key forwards potentially available in the first round will be at her level pretty quickly, and potentially better later on

Lets be quite frank. Tayla Harris isn't known for her AFL sporting ability. She is known for a photo that was taken of her kicking a ball that generated discussions (wrongfully ill add) of sexuality.

IMO this is pretty clear cut........If Carlton want to keep her based on her sporting ability then they clearly don't pay her requested contract, if she is willing to leave the game because she can get a better pay day in boxing well then that's her prerogative. No real difference to any other sport.

If the AFL see a revenue benefit and want to cover the difference in her Carlton contract as a "marketing Bonus" that's fine too, but the AFL would need to be prepared what precedence that sets when the other WAFL players come knocking at the door.

As a person who doesn't find much interest in the women's game, the names of the likes of Erin Phillips lure me to watch more so than Tayla Harris would.
The notion that Harris wasn't already a highly marketable and well-regarded player before the photo thing is truly absurd.

And I assure you Carlton would sign Erin Phillips next month if they could, but it isn't an option so I'm not sure why she's being brought up yet again.

The notion that Harris wasn't already a highly marketable and well-regarded player before the photo thing is truly absurd.

And I assure you Carlton would sign Erin Phillips next month if they could, but it isn't an option so I'm not sure why she's being brought up yet again.

No one made that notion. So I’m not sure what you find absurd. I didn’t say she wasn’t a good AFLW footballer, I simply said he is known for the photo more than she is known for her AFLW career. This is just fact.

is Erin Phillips getting paid 150k? If she isn’t than why would Harris?
she is far more marketable and a far better player. Just IMO of course.

Well no, most of it would be outside the cap, so she's not trying to argue that at all.

Such a scenario doesn't even apply here. Harris' total output at Carlton has been well above average, there has been 1 better performed player at the club during her 4 years and she's being taken care of pretty well too.

And besides that, you're very naive if you don't think there's a Kaitlyn Ashmore or Sarah Hosking at every club who makes more money than what their on-field performance might suggest. Somehow the world continues to turn, everybody is able to get on with their day.

How would you honestly know?

I'm assuming that the HS vastly overstated both what Harris earned this year and what she's seeking for next year. '... she's worth over six figures to the game, absolutely' implies that the writer asked Saundry about the six-figure thing. Saying she's worth that kind of money to 'the game' also implies that they're not seeking that kind of remuneration from Carlton.

I think the HS knows that Harris is a lightning rod for strong opinions and made a nothingburger article to attract clicks and engagement. I think this thread has a bunch of non-AFLW refugees, sudden statue enthusiasts and fantasy accountants who have come to share their very important opinions on a player they've barely watched.

I simply said he is known for the photo more than she is known for her AFLW career.
Actually, you said "Tayla Harris isn't known for her AFL sporting ability. She is known for a photo..." And I said that's absurd because she was "already a highly marketable and well-regarded player before the photo thing".

is Erin Phillips getting paid 150k?
Am I going to get stupid "how do you know?" follow-up questions when I answer that? Probably, so I'll just tell you some stuff that has already been reported in the media. Phillips knocked back offers from Collingwood in 2018. The Pies then decided to focus on the much less celebrated Brianna Davey (who had done her ACL a month earlier) by tabling a $120k/year deal to her...

So put 2 and 2 together and you might be able to figure out your concern for Erin's welfare is probably not required (but quite touching nevertheless).

How would you honestly know?
Obviously I know something that the unwashed masses don't, otherwise I'd surely be joining in on this ceremonial tall poppy cutdown.

She’s just not that good - she didn’t even make the AA team - but marketability counts

which leaves the AFL to stump up the rest.

which they may not do.

leaves other AFLW players in a bind, too

good on her for going the $$$ grab but she *may* have overreached

we’ll know for sure next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back