Tayla Harris - Where will she end up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
More trouble than she is worth. I'd be passing her on for whatever I can get in return. Give her a top tier contract and you almost certainly lose someone better to an expansion team

Firstly I must admit that I don't AFLW so in regards to the football ability of Tayla Harris all that I can go on is the opinion of others. From what I'm led to believe she has made the All Australian side previously but is coming off a disappointing year at Carlton for whatever reason.

I do know that Tayla was the victim of some unsavoury/disgusting comments in relation to a photograph of her kicking for goal.
As a result Tayla has courageously spoken out about the comments made about her and has been a leader and a voice for change on misogynist abuse.

Perhaps pematurely a statue was created in Tayla's honour, a statue that highlights an iconic moment to hopefully inspire social change, not dissimilar to the statue of Nicky Winmar.

Tayla's very actions unless I'm mistaken have been highly commendable up until this point for which she presents as wanting to influence positive social change and be a leader for generations to follow.

With leadership though comes a level of responsibility.....I can't help but think Tayla hasn't fully considered how her actions influence her responsibility and what example she sends to the next generation.

I've seen the advertising for a toothpaste company which Tayla highlights the social issue she is endeavouring to change, I'd assume that Tayla received financial benefit from this advertisement, I could be wrong but at the very least it increases her professional profile and that of her social cause.

Given all that has occurred since the photograph I find it extremely uncomfortable that Tayla is considering walking away from football over wage demands as reported in the media. If true this action to me would at least raise the question as to what Tayla's main priority is:

Is it to seek financial benefit from an ugly situation that she was the victim of and if so then what example would that give to the generation Tayla is hoping to inspire and inflict change?

Is it really about social change and if it is then money shouldn't be the motivating factor for Tayla as she's already compensated in line with her ability within a structure that should provide equality for her peers?

If next year comes around and Tayla is boxing only for greater financial gain instead of playing football then I'd have to question her true motivations.

Perhaps pematurely a statue was created in Tayla's honour, a statue that highlights an iconic moment to hopefully inspire social change,
The statue was commissioned because somebody was willing to pay for it--a bank buying airtime for itself. Like AFLW in general, if some form of positive social change comes from it, great, but it's not the primary cause for its creation and it's irrelevant to the current discussion.

There's a decent chance Harris will make some good money as a professional athlete over the next ten years. If it's not in footy, then it'll be in boxing (I doubt she'll be doing both for much longer) and that's what her contract negotiations with the AFL and its clubs boils down to, no matter how hard you try to make it about something else.

The statue was commissioned because somebody was willing to pay for it--a bank buying airtime for itself. Like AFLW in general, if some form of positive social change comes from it, great, but it's not the primary cause for its creation and it's irrelevant to the current discussion.

There's a decent chance Harris will make some good money as a professional athlete over the next ten years. If it's not in footy, then it'll be in boxing (I doubt she'll be doing both for much longer) and that's what her contract negotiations with the AFL and its clubs boils down to, no matter how hard you try to make it about something else.

I'm going to be really careful given the age of Tayla Harris and because she was initially thrust into a situation not of her choosing by the vile comments made about that photograph.

As a result of that photograph and the commendable public stance she took against oiliness abuse, her profile as an athlete has grown considerably, that's fact. Due to the considerable growth in her profile, the public interest in her boxing career warrants greater public attention.

At its most simplest I'm going to say this, Tayla Harris wouldn't have the ability to negotiate substantial 'purses' from boxing this early in her career if her professional profile was based just off being an AFLW player and NOT also aligned to the photograph controversy. Tayla also wouldn't have the same negotiating power for a new contract within the AFLW either under the same circumstances.

Potentially she is poorly advised by her manager who has stated that "Taylor isn't money hungry" in relation to the contact dispute with AFLW and or Carlton.....that is the perception that people are discussing though both as fans and most likely with her team mates also.

The statue is relevant in my opinion because regardless who commissioned and or payed for it, it doesn't represent an on field action that was the centre of the online abuse.
Tayla herself would of had to approve a statue of herself being displayed in a public place therefore she would surely acknowledge the message that the statue is representing and her responsibilities moving forward in accepting such an honour.
I sincerely hope it doesn't because I wish no ill fortune upon anyone but I think this situation might play out to Tayla's detrement and divide opinions therefore potentially impacting negativity on her cause for social change.

As a result of that photograph and the commendable public stance she took against oiliness abuse, her profile as an athlete has grown considerably, that's fact.
If Emily Bates had been the subject of the photo which you're so consumed with, nothing would have come of it.

Something about Harris amplifies mundane occurrences into widespread media coverage. If businesses want to try to make a buck off that, she's entitled to ask for a %.

Doesn't contradict or undermine her public stance against idiots on social media at all.

What are the odds, that if Tayla isn't traded within this period, is de-listed by Carlton, and follows through with her Manager's suggestion that she may sit the year out... that within a short period of time (let's say a month), Hawthorn announce they've reached an agreement with her to be their first signing, should they be granted a licence to play in the 2022/23 season? (Similar to the original Port Adelaide - Erin Phillips announcement)

If Emily Bates had been the subject of the photo which you're so consumed with, nothing would have come of it.

Something about Harris amplifies mundane occurrences into widespread media coverage. If businesses want to try to make a buck off that, she's entitled to ask for a %.

Doesn't contradict or undermine her public stance against idiots on social media at all.

What mundane occurances are you referring to?

I'll respectfully ask again, what mundane occurrences are you referring to?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont see Tayla playing aflw again sadly. Shes just asking far too much sort of cashing in from off field issues.
Her next step she should under take some study and actually work.
Probably go home back to Brisbane is likely. She did say shes done with living in Melbourne.

The thing is, she should be the best key forward in the comp and maybe even the best player. Is 180cm, moves very well and can kick a ball much further than any other girl. No one should be able to take her on. Something is not clicking though. By all reports, has an attitude issue. I know Melbourne are linked to her but I think Melbourne would be making a mistake getting her as they are contending. However, Paxman is probably their only top tier contracted player so maybe there is a spot for her.

I think Richmond should chase. They are currently not overly great, just lost Frederick and have one of the biggest supporter bases. Tayla Harris could bring a lot of interest to their womens team. The only concern is that I imagine Brennan and Conti are already the 2 marquee players so you would have to convince Brennan to take a pay downgrade.

If all things could be equal in regards to career longevity, public exposure and financial reward do you think that Tayla Harris would rather excell at a Team Sport or an Individual Sport?

An example of this would be Nick Kyrios. Despite his tennis talent I'd think he'd trade it in tomorrow if he could have equal success in a team sport such as basketball.

The thing is, she should be the best key forward in the comp
There hasn't been a better, more consistent key forward in the competition.

By all reports, has an attitude issue.
By one report. By another report, one of the league's most respected players is saying she would love to have Harris at her club.

However, Paxman is probably their only top tier contracted player so maybe there is a spot for her.
Not a chance, and it "probably" has nothing to do with the tier payments anyway.

I'll respectfully ask again, what mundane occurrences are you referring to?
Heard ya the first time, just wasn't worth replying to as anything more than a footnote. You'd have to be dumb or (more likely) playing dumb to ask that, either way I'm not going to bother debating the colour of the sky.

If all things could be equal in regards to career longevity, public exposure and financial reward do you think that Tayla Harris would rather excell at a Team Sport or an Individual Sport?

An example of this would be Nick Kyrios. Despite his tennis talent I'd think he'd trade it in tomorrow if he could have equal success in a team sport such as basketball.

By one report. By another report, one of the league's most respected players is saying she would love to have Harris at her club.

Not a chance, and it "probably" has nothing to do with the tier payments anyway.

Heard ya the first time, just wasn't worth replying to as anything more than a footnote. You'd have to be dumb or (more likely) playing dumb to ask that, either way I'm not going to bother debating the colour of the sky.

All good if you cant provide an example

Okay so her leaving her teammates at training plus asking for way more money than she is worth. Those are 2 examples of poor attitude right there.

She kicks half a goal a game. I know goals are harder to come by in the womens game but that is the equivalent of a bloke who averages 1.0-1.5 goals a game asking for over a million. RIdiculous.

Also, Gemma Houghton has been more consistent and last season showed we have more promising up and coming forwards in Davidson, Huntington & Levi. Last year, she was more comparable to Sophie Alexander than Houghton

asking for way more money than she is worth.
You're only worth what somebody is willing to pay. Carlton might not be willing to pay what she's asking for, but other entities are.

If you have a problem with that, it's your attitude that stinks.

She kicks half a goal a game. I know goals are harder to come by in the womens game but that is the equivalent of a bloke who averages 1.0-1.5 goals a game asking for over a million. RIdiculous.
Your grasp of mathematics is ridiculous. Nevertheless, everybody knows those brilliant sharpshooters Hunt and Folau (both hugely positive influences on the Suns and Giants with their professional attitudes...) made millions off the AFL.

Also, Gemma Houghton has been more consistent and last season showed we have more promising up and coming forwards in Davidson, Huntington & Levi. Last year, she was more comparable to Sophie Alexander than Houghton
Houghton isn't a key forward. That's why, despite playing great footy, she averaged less contested marks than an out-of-form Harris this year.

And yes, Sophie Alexander at her best is roughly equivalent to Tayla Harris at her worst (but, once again, takes less contested marks).

Davidson, Huntington and Levi combined have had two good seasons as key forwards, half as many as Harris. Plus, the fact that you've had to quickly shift gears from "best" to "promising" is pretty telling.

You're only worth what somebody is willing to pay. Carlton might not be willing to pay what she's asking for, but other entities are.

If you have a problem with that, it's your attitude that stinks.

Your grasp of mathematics is ridiculous. Nevertheless, everybody knows those brilliant sharpshooters Hunt and Folau (both hugely positive influences on the Suns and Giants with their professional attitudes...) made millions off the AFL.

Houghton isn't a key forward. That's why, despite playing great footy, she averaged less contested marks than an out-of-form Harris this year.

And yes, Sophie Alexander at her best is roughly equivalent to Tayla Harris at her worst (but, once again, takes less contested marks).

Davidson, Huntington and Levi combined have had two good seasons as key forwards, half as many as Harris. Plus, the fact that you've had to quickly shift gears from "best" to "promising" is pretty telling.

Okay if the reports of 150k were true and the salary and the TPP is 700k that means she is asking for approximately 21% of a clubs entire cap space. The men's salary cap is 13,000,000 so if you factor in the fact that the men's average list size is around 40 while the women's is 30, that means she is asking for roughly 2.1 million. That is absurd. If you say the figure is around 80k. Then it is still 1.1-1.2million. Not as bad, but taking away marketability, far too much any team should pay for a player of her skill. So my maths is not incorrect.

also for some more information. Tayla Harris averaged 1 contested mark a game last season and you say it like she significantly beats Houghton, yet Houghton averages 0.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back