Oppo Camp Taylor Adams (Traded to Swans 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's all about the leadership group these days, the Captain is just a figurehead. All player-based decisions come from the leadership group
It's clear that Melbourne are itching for Jones to step aside and allow Viney to be sole captain. And I have a feeling that Carlton is wanting Cripps to be sole captain.

Yes, that’s correct re Brody.

He’d be perfect but ofcourse he’d want to want it.

Till then, I can see Treloar being bumped up as an example.
I’d think there’s one spot left for a leader.

You know if Jordan was given the responsibility........ Maybe that works?

I like having someone forward and back in the leadership group. Dunn clear leader of the defenders. Forward is an interesting debate, De Goey will be considered on talent, but i'd be tempted to go with Mihocek. As a forward he has the highest work ethic and a great temperament. Maybe we need to wait another year to see if he can replicate his form.

I like having someone forward and back in the leadership group. Dunn clear leader of the defenders. Forward is an interesting debate, De Goey will be considered on talent, but i'd be tempted to go with Mihocek. As a forward he has the highest work ethic and a great temperament. Maybe we need to wait another year to see if he can replicate his form.
I actually love the idea of Mihocek in a leadership role, mature and cool head, can see him being a lock for the next 5 years. Would be a great look.

If Pendlebury steps aside and Sidebottom is still playing he's the obvious choice for a Scott Burns type short term role. we don;t have another Maxwell after that unfortunately.

We will probably make Adams captain but it would be a poor choice IMO. He lacks discipline and has a very costly kicking deficiency. Turning the ball over at half back and giving up goals far too regularly going for something he can't consistently make is NOT what a captain does. I love how he wins the ball but hate how he burns it. Tony Shaw played within his limitations because he was a much smarter footballer if not necessarily more intelligent.

The next long term leader is yet to emerge IMO but thre's time yet. It might be Grundy but I wonder whether his personality is suited or whether he wants it. The jury is out at this stage but if he wants the leadership then I'd be happy. If not I wouldn't burden him with leadership at this stage. Just let it play out.

Taylor's much maligned and sure he burns us at times but he's still only young and maturing
Took tony a few years to get going if I remember
Different entry level , different expectations these days , more hubris
Think a back line featuring him Maynard and crisp is the go
Think we need to spread our talent
Good players win games
He's great 1 on 1

Yeah agree Darky, Adams is a lot better then some people give him credit for.

How can people slag his kicking as a reason to be captain then in the same breath mention Maxwell as the best ever while ignoring it as a flaw of his as well?
Adams is a much much much much better player than Maxwell ever was.

If Pendlebury steps aside and Sidebottom is still playing he's the obvious choice for a Scott Burns type short term role. we don;t have another Maxwell after that unfortunately.

We will probably make Adams captain but it would be a poor choice IMO. He lacks discipline and has a very costly kicking deficiency. Turning the ball over at half back and giving up goals far too regularly going for something he can't consistently make is NOT what a captain does. I love how he wins the ball but hate how he burns it. Tony Shaw played within his limitations because he was a much smarter footballer if not necessarily more intelligent.

The next long term leader is yet to emerge IMO but thre's time yet. It might be Grundy but I wonder whether his personality is suited or whether he wants it. The jury is out at this stage but if he wants the leadership then I'd be happy. If not I wouldn't burden him with leadership at this stage. Just let it play out.

Laughable comments to compare him unfavorably to Maxwell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maxwell has an All-Australian honor, something that Adams will probably never achieve.
So does that make Maxwell a better player?
Personally I couldn’t give a crap if Adams gets an AA spot. He bleeds for the team and would make a great captain.

Im a huge Taytay fan Saintly but Maxy was underated as a player for us. Gun leader as well and I’m also on the Adams for the C boat.
Might be under rated, that’s fair but not in Taylor level overall.
Maxwell has an All-Australian honor, something that Adams will probably never achieve.
thats nice.
Harder to get AA being a mid with so many elite and A grade types league wide.

Far far far easier to gain AA as a back player. Granted, it’s a terrific honour but even Lumumba had a cracking year and got the nod one time.

Folks, I’m not saying Maxwell wasn’t a good player but I am saying Adams is a far better player than him.
Just my take.

Last edited:
Might be under rated, that’s fair but not in Taylor level overall.

thats nice.
Harder to get AA being a mid with so many elite and A grade types league wide.

Far far far easier to gain AA as a back player. Granted, it’s a terrific honour but ev n a Lumumba had a cracking year and got a nod one time.

Folks, I’m not saying Maxwell wasn’t a good player but I am saying Adams is a far better player than him.
Just my take.

Far easier, I'm not so sure. It's still 6 spots for the backs and 6 for the mids. Could probably argue also that it is harder to be considered an elite player as a backman also when the role is defensive and opponent-following in nature.

At the end of the day, Maxwell and Adams both had/have different playing roles and their own strengths and weaknesses. Most importantly they both bleed black and white.

Comparing Maxy to Adams is comparing apples to oranges. Obviously very different players with different positions.
From memory the comparison arose from Adams for Captain being discussed.
It was countered by "he can't kick" and then Maxy was referenced as a Captain who was a poor kick.
They are similar in their quest for success and a desire to do the utmost for their team IMO.

From memory the comparison arose from Adams for Captain being discussed.
It was countered by "he can't kick" and then Maxy was referenced as a Captain who was a poor kick.
They are similar in their quest for success and a desire to do the utmost for their team IMO.
And then i chirped in with Adams being a far better player.

So I probably have caused this small melee.

:eek:

:greenalien:

Yeah agree Darky, Adams is a lot better then some people give him credit for.

How can people slag his kicking as a reason to be captain then in the same breath mention Maxwell as the best ever while ignoring it as a flaw of his as well?
Best ever? Maxwell was the best choice at the time but a long, long way from the best captian ever.

Maxwell's clangers were not in the same league as Adams'. Maxwell wasn't the tidiest but how often did Maxwell kick a daisy cutter to the opposition at half back and cost a goal - let alone an absolutely crucial one in a GF?

It isn't just Adams' kicking quality but his repeated poor decision making and refusal to kick within his limitations. Maxwell and Tony Shaw on the hand were smarter footballers and played accordingly.

Not on the same level as captain material IMO due to in game decision maiking and discipline. Adams is probably our best ball winner and full of G&D. There's a lot more to being a captain.
Can you give us some examples of decisions and discipline that you think make him not “Captain material?”

Has captain written all over him I reckon. Has worked hard on his kicking 7 it's improved a hell of a lot.
Will probably always butcher the odd pass still, but that should not keep him from leading us down the track.
Very important player for us on the inside too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back