Oppo Camp Taylor Adams (Traded to Swans 2023)

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Watching his maturity these past few years has been very satisfying.

I’m looking forward to him being a premiership player for us, this year will do nicely for starters.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Has worked hard on his kicking 7 it's improved a hell of a lot.
No it hasn't. It drives me nuts when people say this. All the major kick stats - efficiency, clangers - say he has gotten worse.

Adams may be a heart and soul guy. And is a good ball winner. He has a few good attributes that helps the team.

But he just can't kick for s**t.

No it hasn't. It drives me nuts when people say this. All the major kick stats - efficiency, clangers - say he has gotten worse.

Adams may be a heart and soul guy. And is a good ball winner. He has a few good attributes that helps the team.

I'll be driving you nuts a lot then. We get it. You aren't keen on him. I disagree.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
I like Adams but his kicking is awful sometimes. He tries too much and can't back it up with skills. I like the intent to try to open things up but you've got play within your limits sometimes. As captain I reckon his personality comes across as a bit too Buckley in the early years and might be divisive. I could be off the mark there but that's my read on it. Still love him as a player. Raw determination.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not on the same level as captain material IMO due to in game decision maiking and discipline. Adams is probably our best ball winner and full of G&D. There's a lot more to being a captain.

Maxwell had so many weaknesses in his game before being appointed Captain that there was a significant number of people questioning whether he was capable of being best 22 in the short and medium term.

I'm not sure Adams is our next captain, as I said hes on the short list, but alleged weaknesses in his game will not be the reason hes not chosen.

I like Adams but his kicking is awful sometimes. He tries too much and can't back it up with skills. I like the intent to try to open things up but you've got play within your limits sometimes. As captain I reckon his personality comes across as a bit too Buckley in the early years and might be divisive. I could be off the mark there but that's my read on it. Still love him as a player. Raw determination.

When he first came to the club, he couldn't even get the ball to spin properly & his ball drop on any kick was horrendous.
Sure I don't want him attempting to kick across goal in the backline still, but looking at him kicking now he has obviously worked bloody hard at it.
It's speculative how much he has improved, but I can see he isn't giving up & is trying to improve.
I also love his toughness & tenacity.

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
Can you give us some examples of decisions and discipline that you think make him not “Captain material?”
The odd petulant free kick in the middle but the glaring one was the kick across half back and crucial goal tunover in the GF. That could well have cost us the flag. That kick was a repeat of numerous similar errors of judgement and abvility through the last few years, particularly when he spent time at half back the prior year. Tony Shaw played to his limitations. Adams doesn't.

Last edited:

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
Maxwell had so many weaknesses in his game before being appointed Captain that there was a significant number of people questioning whether he was capable of being best 22 in the short and medium term.

I'm not sure Adams is our next captain, as I said hes on the short list, but alleged weaknesses in his game will not be the reason hes not chosen.
I agree they won't be. I think they should be.

Maxwell was one of the very few options in terms of leadership capability we had at the time but it turned out to be a good choice. His perceived limiations were about his overall ability. I have never been an advocate for the best player being captain. It isn't about ability although you do need to be best 22. It's about relationships, decision making and leadership. Maxwell had the right mindset on and off the field. Let's not kid ourselves that Maxwell was a great Collingwood captain though. He did a good job and will go down as a C ollingwood premiership catain. There arent many of them alive.

The odd petulant free kick in the middle but the glaring one was the kick across half back and crucial goal tunover in the GF. That could well have cost us the flag. That kick was a repeat of numerous similar errors of judgement and abvility through the last few years, particularly when he spent time at half back the prior year. Tony Shaw played to his limitations. Adams doesn't.
We would have been pumped in the GF without Adams. He stood up when others didn’t, and very nearly dragged us over the line.

Sep 29, 2004
Merimbula
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bengals
That turnover was poor, as were a shitload of others earlier in the game, but other than brief spurts of Magpie footy we ground that game out to our best and Adams was right at the coal face.
The one moment I would like to have taken back is the non rushed behind by Langdon that gave the Eagles their first, flaky, goal.
Oh what might have been.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Im a huge Taytay fan Saintly but Maxy was underated as a player for us. Gun leader as well and I’m also on the Adams for the C boat.

To use a Dyerism, Maxy was a good ordinary footballer. A role player. His leadership elevated him.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Maxwell has an All-Australian honor, something that Adams will probably never achieve.

Relevance? Maxy won his as a 3rd tall/floating defender. A lot less competition for those spots than there is in the midfield.

I'm not sure why Adams gets so much negativity. Until Beams arrival this off-season, Adams was clearly our best inside mid.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Yet his clanger and DE% numbers stack up well against other similar types like Dangerfield and Martin... Stats, stats and bloody lies....

If Pendlebury steps aside and Sidebottom is still playing he's the obvious choice for a Scott Burns type short term role. we don;t have another Maxwell after that unfortunately.

We will probably make Adams captain but it would be a poor choice IMO. He lacks discipline and has a very costly kicking deficiency. Turning the ball over at half back and giving up goals far too regularly going for something he can't consistently make is NOT what a captain does. I love how he wins the ball but hate how he burns it. Tony Shaw played within his limitations because he was a much smarter footballer if not necessarily more intelligent.

The next long term leader is yet to emerge IMO but thre's time yet. It might be Grundy but I wonder whether his personality is suited or whether he wants it. The jury is out at this stage but if he wants the leadership then I'd be happy. If not I wouldn't burden him with leadership at this stage. Just let it play out.

You could be talking about Tony Shaw back in the Day and he is 1 of our Best Captains we had in the last 30 or so Seasons

I agree his Biggest Problem he thinks he is a Better Kick then he is as when he Tries a Hard Kick he Normally Buggers it up and ends up as a Huge Turnover BUT when he is kicking to his Ability it normally turns out well

We would have been pumped in the GF without Adams. He stood up when others didn’t, and very nearly dragged us over the line.

and His Missed Target late in the Game could be said cost us the Flag

and His Missed Target late in the Game could be said cost us the Flag
I don’t think it’s fair to look at isolated incidents when discussing the game as a whole.
Adams was one of our best on grand final day and he should be proud of that.
I’m confident he will be doing everything possible to improve his own game in 2019, and to motivate his team mates.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
As much as I love Adams.. I'm not sure I see him as our next captain.. more of a general. Far too emotional a guy. Much prefer someone with a cooler head out on the pitch and in the media. Whether he is or isn't.. the impression I do get is that he is not 100% approachable.

My vote still goes to Sidebottom at this stage.

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
As much as I love Adams.. I'm not sure I see him as our next captain.. more of a general. Far too emotional a guy. Much prefer someone with a cooler head out on the pitch and in the media. Whether he is or isn't.. the impression I do get is that he is not 100% approachable.

My vote still goes to Sidebottom at this stage.
He doesn't like people showing up to training when it isn't a designated open training session. I know that much.

But then again, Pendles also doesn't, or Wells, or Varcoe, or the Brown brothers. All because they're quite reserved.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
He doesn't like people showing up to training when it isn't a designated open training session. I know that much.

But then again, Pendles also doesn't, or Wells, or Varcoe, or the Brown brothers. All because they're quite reserved.

Love it that the bloke displays raw emotion on the pitch and in the media.. eg.. after the gf.. don't necessarily want to see my captain get flustered though. Must remain composed at all times. It's gotta come naturally.. can't be forced.

I would like to walk into a room and be able to talk to my captain about anything and everything.. wearing g bangers or whatever re.. not sure I'd get that from Adams.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Back