Taylor Swift

Remove this Banner Ad

JB HiFi have the deluxe version(s) of reputation up now for pre-order
225687-L-LO.jpg

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/music/browse/pop/reputation-deluxe-edition-vol-1/319862/
225688-L-LO.jpg

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/music/browse/pop/reputation-deluxe-edition-vol-2/319866/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
thicc Taylor.

New songs mostly suck but Gorgeous has a nice synth sound and has a lot of tidy little melodies throughout it. The new one is also decent but it sounds like a bonus song from 1989 a little too much.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Aren't all singles just that now? A cue to radio stations of 'this is what you should play' which is in line with a video or something. I really don't like her tactic though as there's all sorts of overlap: in a week she brought out a third single, put up the video for the second single, and then released a fourth single.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/8023099/taylor-swift-reputation-presale-400000-units

Pre-orders for Taylor Swift’s “reputation” have reached more than 400,000 units and the album has become Target’s biggest music pre-sale of all-time.
Big Machine Records told The Associated Press on Friday that pre-orders for Reputation, to be released Nov. 10, are double the number of pre-orders for Swift’s 1989 album a week before its release in 2014.
------------------------
I guess the sales should be fine. Plus there's the 'normal version' of the CD, and 2 deluxe versions for the completists.

Sep 20, 2009
Pascoe Vale
AFL Club
Geelong
One thing i don't like about the new songs is how she's completely abandoned any trace of organic instrumentation. Virtually all the backing tracks are totally synthesised and programmed.

For an ex-country star who can actually play her own instruments, it's disappointing. She's becoming Just Another Pop Star, singing out front of a producer's music.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
One thing i don't like about the new songs is how she's completely abandoned any trace of organic instrumentation. Virtually all the backing tracks are totally synthesised and programmed.

For an ex-country star who can actually play her own instruments, it's disappointing. She's becoming Just Another Pop Star, singing out front of a producer's music.

Synths and loops I'd still classify as instruments.

Not as though she was ever a virtuoso either. Decent enough at a few things, but otherwise an entry-level instrumentalist.

"One thing I don't like about Picasso's Rose Period is how he's completely abandoned any trace of blue paint," said no one ever. I hope.

If acoustic guitar is what made Taylor Swift's earlier work great (or good), how come I never cared for Colbie Caillat? Personal preferences regarding stylistic choices do count, but the "colours" don't matter nearly as much as how they're used.

Her (character's) personality has always been the key instrument for me anyway, and it's still shining through. 3 of the 4 new songs hit the mark to my ear, which is about bang on the strikerate I've come to expect.

Besides, the piano at the end of LWYMMD sounds organic (as in genuine, not organ-ish like a church) enough, and it's the most dynamic 20 seconds of music on commercial radio in 2017. What more do you want.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back