Cruyff14

TheBrownDog
Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Some of the new songs are good too. Mrs and I listened to them while we decorated our tree so we were not paying full attention, but some were definitely good.

Sweet Jesus

The Lord of the Dance
Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Isn't this a bit OTT?

It's depicted as though she had no power or agency in the relationship.

And the kitchen scene, like these folks do their own dishes.

Last edited:

ams4crows

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
Isn't this a bit OTT?

It's depicted as though she had no power or agency in the relationship.

And the kitchen scene, like these folks do their own dishes.

Did she have power though? Isn't that the point? She was 20 and he was 30 and from the looks of things he constantly gaslighted her she probably felt she had no power.

I thought the film was brilliant, it captures all the emotions of this relationship and then it's breakdown.

Nothing New was amazing, and my favourite of the vault tracks.

Sweet Jesus

The Lord of the Dance
Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Did she have power though? Isn't that the point? She was 20 and he was 30 and from the looks of things he constantly gaslighted her she probably felt she had no power.

I thought the film was brilliant, it captures all the emotions of this relationship and then it's breakdown.

Nothing New was amazing, and my favourite of the vault tracks.
She was 20 and he was 30. So yeah, she was an adult, and a world-famous multimillionaire. She had plenty of power. Was Jake Gyllenhaal such a big deal?

I just think it's crazy that 11 years later, she's still stitching him up. The original song wasn't enough. Nah, here's a 10-minute version and a film just to double underline everything. What did he do to deserve this? People break up all the time.

Can you imagine if this was a male artist still dissing an ex-girlfriend 11 years later? People would be telling him to get over it already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sweet Jesus

The Lord of the Dance
Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
I understand her explanation for re-recording her albums but promoting it like it's new material seems like a stretch.

It's like a greatest hits tour for an artist who's only 31.

Valentino Dmitri

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2008
69 Bosoms Lane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Rokeby GP Dancesquad
Was really looking forward to 10 Minute All Too Well. Only listened to it once but have to admit she got it right first time. I don't think the new verses add anything good and I'm not crazy on the modern production.

The Phoebe Bridgers and Chris Stapleton tracks were great, I thought.

phantom13

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
She was 20 and he was 30. So yeah, she was an adult, and a world-famous multimillionaire. She had plenty of power. Was Jake Gyllenhaal such a big deal?

I just think it's crazy that 11 years later, she's still stitching him up. The original song wasn't enough. Nah, here's a 10-minute version and a film just to double underline everything. What did he do to deserve this? People break up all the time.

Can you imagine if this was a male artist still dissing an ex-girlfriend 11 years later? People would be telling him to get over it already.
In a sense i agree, Jakes still copping a battering over it but you also have to acknowledge thats not her doing.

He chose to date a 20 year old song writer who (even at the time) had a rep for writing deeply personal songs about lovers etc. Shes never confirmed it was him and shes not really in a position to confirm its not him so the public speculation isnt her doing, thats on us (the collective us)

Sweet Jesus

The Lord of the Dance
Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
In a sense i agree, Jakes still copping a battering over it but you also have to acknowledge thats not her doing.
I don't acknowledge that at all.

The song is a prolonged smear and now she's rehashed it 11 years down the line.

He chose to date a 20 year old song writer who (even at the time) had a rep for writing deeply personal songs about lovers etc. Shes never confirmed it was him and shes not really in a position to confirm its not him so the public speculation isnt her doing, thats on us (the collective us)
They were both adults. She had agency.

phantom13

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't acknowledge that at all.

The song is a prolonged smear and now she's rehashed it 11 years down the line.

They were both adults. She had agency.
Shes a songwriter, he knew this. If the song had been a smash hit hed be in the same position. Cry for poor old Jake all you want but were the ones listening and speculating and wanting more, shes just cashing in on it.

Im not arguing the agency or validity of the relationship (i dont agree with you at all but its a pointless discussion really) just that if we didnt care about the song and the story it wouldnt have gotten a 10 minute video. We are prolonging the smear and we are rehashing it.

Sweet Jesus

The Lord of the Dance
Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Shes a songwriter, he knew this. If the song had been a smash hit hed be in the same position. Cry for poor old Jake all you want but were the ones listening and speculating and wanting more, shes just cashing in on it.

Im not arguing the agency or validity of the relationship (i dont agree with you at all but its a pointless discussion really) just that if we didnt care about the song and the story it wouldnt have gotten a 10 minute video. We are prolonging the smear and we are rehashing it.
That doesn't address the issue.

I'm not "crying for poor old Jake". I assume he's doing OK. I just question what he did to deserve having a private relationship dissected in song for 11 years and counting. It's a remarkable diss, and I doubt people would be as keen on it if a male songwriter did the same to a former girlfriend. It's OTT.

phantom13

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
That doesn't address the issue.

I'm not "crying for poor old Jake". I assume he's doing OK. I just question what he did to deserve having a private relationship dissected in song for 11 years and counting. It's a remarkable diss, and I doubt people would be as keen on it if a male songwriter did the same to a former girlfriend. It's OTT.
Whats the issue? That Jake is being dragged? Yeh he is, you seem to be intent on blaming her, im pointing out that she wrote a song (as a 20/21 year old) about a relationship and recorded it. Jake being dragged isnt her doing at this point.

Cruyff14

TheBrownDog
Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
She writes about relationships. JG just happens to be high profile. I'm sure he will be fine.

Doesn't help though that the majority of her fanbase are crazed girls who will flock to socials and flood things.

Sweet Jesus

The Lord of the Dance
Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Whats the issue? That Jake is being dragged? Yeh he is, you seem to be intent on blaming her, im pointing out that she wrote a song (as a 20/21 year old) about a relationship and recorded it. Jake being dragged isnt her doing at this point.
And then she re-released it 11 years later in extended form, along with a video clip dramatising the relationship. So yes, she bears responsibility for that. And I question whether he actually did anything so heinous to deserve such a prolonged smear. If it were a male artist, he'd have been urged to get over it already instead of dissing a former girlfriend for a decade and counting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad