Taylor Swift

Remove this Banner Ad

Day off work today, which means I got to listen to Midnights!!

Midnights (2022)

The ten album listen through project comes to a close and as I mentioned earlier this was the first time I’d heard a lot of Taylor Swifts albums outside of Fearless and I think Midnights. On Midnights I seem to recall listening to it earlier in 2023 but can’t remember much of it apart from the obvious in Anti-Hero, Lavender Haze and Karma. All of which were good (Lavender Haze) to great (Anti-Hero and Karama). So how would the rest of the album fair? For the Record I’m listening to the 3am Edition plus Hits Different.

After a brief hiatus with Folklore and Evermore Taylor is back with a pop album. I found this album to be a rather pleasant listen. Along with the aforementioned songs Question…? And Midnight Rain really stood out for me as great pop Taylor songs, Maroon and You’re On Your Own Kid also really stood out for me. In fact almost all of the standard edition of the album was really quite strong, except for maybe Sweet Nothing.

I found the 3am Edition tracks to be quite hit and miss. The Great War, Bigger Than The Whole Sky and Would’ve Could’ve, Should’ve were all quite good whilst remaining songs Paris, High Infidelity, Glitch and Dear Reader didn’t really do much for me. Til Dawn bonus track Hit’s Different was also quite nice. All in all though I feel like a 15-16 track album could be made the good to great songs on here whilst omitting the remaining songs.

Overall I have really enjoyed the experience of listening to the majority of Taylors back catalogue of hits for the very first time. She is such an incredible song writing and that was evident from very early on in her albums. Thank you to everyone that commented, liked and shared their thought and feedback along the journey. I really appreciated not just your participation but your welcoming acceptance as well!

Tracks I liked: Anti-Herzo, Karma, Lavender Haze, Question…?, Midnight Rain

Would be interested for your thoughts on cowboy like me and ivy - they are two of my favourites from the album (blasphemy over tolerate it and champagne problems, I know) - just think they are well written and tell a great story from imaginary protagonists with an unexpected and forbidden love respectively.

The guy on vocals in coney island is from The National - Matt Berninger. They played in Perth recently. Also co-written and produced by the Dessner brothers from that same band, so effectively a National song lol.
Will make sure to check these two out again and provide some thoughts. :)

So Taylor Nation has curated 5 playlists, each titled after a different TTPD song and themed by one of the 5 stages of grief. On Apple Music they also have a voicenote from Taylor explaining each playlist theme. I think I'm gonna have to stock up on boxes of tissues before April 19 wahhhhhh

Taylor Swift on "I Love You, It's Ruining My Life" type of songs:
"This is a list of songs about getting so caught up in the idea of something that you have a hard time seeing the red flags possibly resulting in moments of denial and maybe a little bit of delusion"

Taylor Swift for “Old Habits Die Screaming” playlist:
“Where we're going to be exploring the feelings of depression. That often lace their way through my songs. In times like these, I'll write a song because I feel lonely or hopeless. And writing a song feels like the only way to process that intensity of an emotion. And while these things are really, really hard to go through. I often feel like when I'm either listening to songs. Or writing songs that deal with this intensity of loss and hopelessness. Usually that's in the phase where I'm close to getting passed that feeling.”

Taylor Swift for ‘You Don't Get to Tell Me About Sad’ playlist:
“These songs all have one thing in common
I wrote them while feeling anger. Over the years, I've learned that anger can manifest itself in a lot of different ways but the healthiest way that it manifests itself in my life is when I can write a song about it and then oftentimes that helps me get past it”

Taylor Swift for ‘I Can Do It With A Broken Heart" playlist’
“Where we finally find acceptance and can start moving forward from loss or heartbreak
These songs represent making room for more good in your life making that choice because a lot of time when we lose things we gain things too”

Taylor Swift for ‘Am I Allowed to Cry’ playlist
“This playlist takes you through the songs that I've written when I was in the bargaining stage. Times when, you know, you're trying to make deals with yourself or someone that you care about
You're trying to make things better. You're often times feeling really desperate because often times, we have a sort of gut intuition that tells us things are not gonna to go the way that we hope which makes us more desperate, which makes us bargain more.”

Although not mentioned the swifties in the usa many buying tickets for the first time and ticketmaster to crash for days were the cause of this investigation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Long London had me crying lol, typical track 5
I am at work so listening at my desk so not totally focused on lyrics, will study better again at home.

oooof Who's Afraid of Little Old Me? is brilliant
I am on this one too.

I really like it musically.

I like this line a lot

So I leap from the gallows, and I levitate down your street
Crash the party like a record scratch as I scream

Halfway through a listen in the background and liking it. My boy only breaks his favourite toys and guilty as sin the standouts for me so far

Remove this Banner Ad

Back