Taylor Swift

Remove this Banner Ad

That was a really beautiful performance.

Also this just made it even better - according to one of the writers on the show:

The story about his mom squeezing his hand 3 times to say "I love you" when he was a kid, and then him squeezing her hand in the hospital - he hadn't told any of us that story... More on that in a second.

First, a quick word about Taylor Swift. She was not scheduled to do our show today. But we wanted something special for this first show back, so we asked her on a complete whim, since she had been in town doing SNL. She said yes with zero hesitation.

She sang "New Year's Day." No one had heard it. Suddenly she sings the line, "Squeeze my hand 3 times in the back of the taxi." I nearly gasped. Tears. I think everyone in the audience started sobbing.

I could see Jimmy silhouetted at his desk dabbing his eyes with a tissue. We all lost it. It was a beautiful coincidence in a beautiful performance. "Hold on to your memories, they will hold on to you," Taylor sang.

That hug between Jimmy and Taylor after the song was 100% real emotion. Whatever you think of Taylor, she did something beautiful for Jimmy and our show today, and we're forever grateful.

Billboard reports the album, Reputation, sold 1.05 million copies in the first four days after its November 10 release.

Before Swift released her album, Ed Sheeran’s Divide was the year’s best-selling album, with 919,000 units sold. Kendrick Lamar’s Damn has sold 842,000 units.

Since Billboard changed how it views albums sales — incorporating single track sales (10 song sales equals one album sale and streaming 1,500 streams equals one album sale) — Sheeran’s album has sold 2.3 million units overall. Lamar’s has moved 2.5 million units.
---------------------------------
what the hell is this singles track sales and streaming incorporated into the album sales stats??? :thumbsdown:

medium.8UMTjGgw2CTURPYtvHsiIK8__M_Cb0OriplTZAOziGs.jpg

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
And Charli XCX is touring.

I got tickets really late on for the 1989 tour at AAMI and it was incredible. She really does make you feel connected and important and like her friend despite there being 35,000 people there about 35,000 times less rich than her. Pop shows are pretty good and she does them best.

I'll definitely be going, I'm sure you can score seated tickets for $140 or so.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I got tickets really late on for the 1989 tour at AAMI and it was incredible. She really does make you feel connected and important and like her friend despite there being 35,000 people there about 35,000 times less rich than her. Pop shows are pretty good and she does them best.

I still have some of that confetti from the end of the night and the light up wristband, which probably still works.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
And Charli XCX is touring.

From memory last time seated tickets (upper tier) but close-ish to the stage were around $130.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couple of thoughts about End Game, in the spirit of its sports-talk theme:

Swift with the rebound, she soars effortlessly through the air like an eagle. Nobody contests her because Referees Martin and Shellback have ejected all the opponents from the stadium.

She dishes off to Future, he does some fancy dribbling between his legs while running around in circles. That was weird, and it didn't achieve much, but those flourishes are definitely in his wheelhouse and might land him a benchspot in an all-star game one day. Plus the captain is too lanky to pull off that stuff, so at least she gave the ball to somebody who could provide something different on offence.

Future bounce-passes back to Swift. She holds it, holds it. Holds it... Oh, she's waiting for the unfit Sheeran to make his way up the court. This guy has been dogging it for years now, yet fans and commentators alike don't seem to care and hall-of-famers still want to play with him! Swift teases us with a head fake, she could drive to the hole and throw down a huge slam dunk. Instead, she hands it off to Sheeran standing nervously at the top of the key.

Open lay-up opportunity. He fumbles, re-gathers, trips on his untied shoelaces and fumbles again. Looked like a travel there too but the refs did a good job of not calling attention to the error. He finally shoots it, although it's more like a chuck. And it hits the edge of the rim and deflects straight back into his own nerdy face, smashing his glasses a la Bob Hawke. Ouch, that was ugly.

The buzzer sounds and that's the end of the period. Hopefully Swift subs in somebody that can keep up with the tempo for the second half. Better yet, maybe she'll switch to tennis and keep the limelight to herself.

--

Harsh and exaggerated, perhaps. But I don't know what Ed Sheeran adds to the song that Taylor Swift couldn't herself do better. It's rare to hear such an accent-muddled reading-lyrics-off-a-sheet vocal performance even in bad pop music, I always thought that space was reserved for when Madonna wants to deliver a line in French.

Last edited:
Bit harsh, I liked Sheeran's bit more than Future's, but I also think she should have only gone with one of them. Either Future does both verses, or Ed does, not one each.

Song is a bit of a mess but I still like it, and her bit (the bridge) is better than both imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back