Taylor Swift

Remove this Banner Ad

Just begun playing Red.

State of Grace is a killer track!

It is a really good opening song. Big drums and soulful tunes. I reckon it brings you up and up and up and then when you think it's reached its apex, if drops you gently down as the next verse starts.

Red, my fave song of the album, so a perfect chill song. Complements SoG well.

1. SoG is like an opening batsman who's in control. No one in the current Aussie XI
2. Red is the one who is disciplined, cool. Geoff Marsh
3. Treacherous - Mark Waugh. Smooth.
4. I knew you were trouble - bombastic and angry. Andrew Symonds
5. All to well - If Symonds goes cheaply, Mike Hussey comes in. Assesses the situation, calming influence. At 5:29 this is the longest song of the album. Hussey can play the long innings too
6. 22 - Fast, edgy. Quicker scoring Adam Gilchrist
7. I almost do - Ill say Steve Waugh. Dont know hy
8. We are never ever getting back together - looks nice and innocent but has a sharp undertone. Brett Lee
9. Stay Stay Stay - fun, boppy, upbeat and positive. Greg Matthews
10. The last time - Slow, methodical. Melancholy. Glenn McGrath
11. Holy ground - A nice way to finish the XI. Gentle. Nice. Could listen to it all day. Peter Siddle

What are people's favourite tracks, and what do people think is/are the best track(s) on the album?

I think Archer is stellar. When it was released I was a bit err about it, but it may be the best track on the album.

I Know A Man I really like.

Soon You'll Get Better is a beautiful song. It's raw, stripped back and very well written.

Think You Need To Calm Down is my favourite.

Did you mean The Man or I Think He Knows?

The three song stretch of Miss Americana and the Heartbreak Prince, Paper Rings and Cornelia Street is so good, cannot pick my favourite out of that. Death by a Thousand Cuts and False God I wasn't as enthused about initially, sort of grown on me and I appreciate what she was going for but not my cup of tea.

Soon You'll Get Better is a song I often skip because it's too real for me.

Daylight is the perfect song to close out the album.

Did you mean The Man or I Think He Knows?

The three song stretch of Miss Americana and the Heartbreak Prince, Paper Rings and Cornelia Street is so good, cannot pick my favourite out of that. Death by a Thousand Cuts and False God I wasn't as enthused about initially, sort of grown on me and I appreciate what she was going for but not my cup of tea.

Soon You'll Get Better is a song I often skip because it's too real for me.

Daylight is the perfect song to close out the album.
Oops, I Think He Knows.

Cornelia Street would be near the bottom in terms of tracks I like on the album, but I don't think it's crap or anything. Just like others more.

False God is all about the subtle sax, love it.

I just finished Red, what an album.

So Red is a fantastic album. I've never listened to it before until this morning, and it's brilliant.

State of Grace is brilliant. Red is one of her best.

Gary Lightfoot's appearance on The Last Time was a very nice surprise.

Hard to fault it.

Not as sonically cohesive in my opinion, didn't really deserve to be nominated for Best Album that year (was won by Daft Punk) but many would say (and I agree) that it has the best song Taylor Swift ever wrote.

Not as sonically cohesive in my opinion, didn't really deserve to be nominated for Best Album that year (was won by Daft Punk) but many would say (and I agree) that it has the best song Taylor Swift ever wrote.
It is a completely different sound.

It's a soft rock/country feel with elements of country weaved in between, all fuses well together I reckon. Lover has lots of drum machine use, it will be interesting how that translates live.

For someone semi late on the Taylor Train (got on at 1989), I think it's great. I will need to listen to Fearless, Taylor Swift and State of Grace to see what else I dig.

Which song?

I still think Welcome To New York is my favourite (that clip I posted the other day is ******* ace). The song has so much attitude about, it's awesome. Having said that though, State of Grace and Red are definitely up there now too.

It is a completely different sound.

It's a soft rock/country feel with elements of country weaved in between, all fuses well together I reckon. Lover has lots of drum machine use, it will be interesting how that translates live.

For someone semi late on the Taylor Train (got on at 1989), I think it's great. I will need to listen to Fearless, Taylor Swift and State of Grace to see what else I dig.

Which song?

I still think Welcome To New York is my favourite (that clip I posted the other day is ******* ace). The song has so much attitude about, it's awesome. Having said that though, State of Grace and Red are definitely up there now too.

The other album you're talking about is Speak Now - one of my favourites and even more impressive in that she wrote the whole thing singlehandedly - no co-writers. Fearless has aged a bit and her self-titled was when she was like 17 so no surprises about the immaturity in it.

The song is All Too Well.

I was pretty disappointed by the singles for the new album, even though I always expect her lead single to be the worst track on the album. It just felt like a wild throw at previous incarnations – like she was lost and just wanted the generic, compilation-Taylor sound. There were rumours it was going to be a disco record or in the style of New Year's Day and so I was pretty disappointed. The album title, the imagery were all so bland and uninspired. Like, just lazy. But her fans always just jump on stupid theories and make their own rumours up and latch onto them, so I probably shouldn't go too hard on that in the future.

Buuuuut... I'm pleasantly surprised. It's actually got a really good cohesion to it. Nice to have her back and singing about observations and using some good wordplay. It's what she does best.

There was a comment from her or some suggestion that this thing was actually just about done prior to the Kanye run-in. She quickly made Reputation and left this on the back-burner. Definitely makes sense. Put this out straight after 1989 and it's an elongated era for that feel and look. Rep is a bit of an outlier; step the left. Or right.

Even the singles fit in well and as Shake It Off did, it gives some lightness to the rest of the album.

Still would have preferred she did something bolder though. For all its faults, Reputation was a risk. She did something different. Didn't really pan out, but I paid it.

Looking forward to giving this another spin and unearthing a bit more. I'm sure it'll be a decent reward listen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone also posted this on Reddit:

lNUSlCi.jpg

Slightly surprised that 1989 is rated that low, but good to see the critics are generally favourable about Lover. On track to become her highest rated album ever according to Metacritic.

the performance of Lover was better than YNTCD
Lover seemed mimed for the past from what I thought.
Someone also posted this on Reddit:

lNUSlCi.jpg

Slightly surprised that 1989 is rated that low, but good to see the critics are generally favourable about Lover. On track to become her highest rated album ever according to Metacritic.
I would have Red second I reckon, maybe even first.

I didnt think that at the time, but i better watch it again! What do you think cruyffy?
I think it is.

If you compare the volume of her vocal between that and YNTCD, you can hear a significant difference IMO.

It also sounds remarkably similar to the recorded version. I could be wrong though.

I think it is.

If you compare the volume of her vocal between that and YNTCD, you can hear a significant difference IMO.

It also sounds remarkably similar to the recorded version. I could be wrong though.

If you have the deluxe edition she includes a voice memo of when she was recording the song - it's not that far off her 'natural' voice. There's backing vocals in the VMA performance but I don't think it's mimed.

If you have the deluxe edition she includes a voice memo of when she was recording the song - it's not that far off her 'natural' voice. There's backing vocals in the VMA performance but I don't think it's mimed.

I dunno, you might be right.

Just her main vocal doesn't sound like an authentic real time vocal. I guess we'll never know. No big deal either way.

Listened again. I dont think shes miming.

Agree, no biggie.

Tay could mime everything and i and we wouldnt mind

Remove this Banner Ad

Back