Taylor up forward... Why?

Remove this Banner Ad

If what Black showed last night is indicative of what his form will be like for the year ahead, and with Menzel still to come back, maybe we'll be able to play Taylor back after all.
Exactly my thoughts!

2nd ruck/Danger/Selwood - Hawkins - McCarthy
Menzel - Black - Motlop/Cockatoo

I like this sort of combination and variations of pending rotations and resting players, as long as Black can make a key defender accountable then this structure can be very productive.
Not having Taylor down back made me very nervous at times, I'm not against the idea of him up forward at times but if other players form i.e.: Black mean Taylor stays back then yes please!

Knights post game interview sounded like we are going to persist with taylor forward. We can so long as we get henderson to be smarter-he is crazy brave when its not needed.

I understand why they want to persist with taylor forward, as good as black was last night he looked like a third tall to me and we already have that in menzel we need a CHF. Unless house jumps up out of the box its really down to taylor or stanley.

kicked 2 goals from free kicks and took 1 mark didn't he?

Think so. I just felt he looked better on the ground than in the air, might be more a menzel type role than a KPF role for him.

Think so. I just felt he looked better on the ground than in the air, might be more a menzel type role than a KPF role for him.
Black has never been a KPF, but he can be very Gunston like. A decent mark, a great kick, and mobile.
He easily replaces Kersten, that is all we can ask for- somebody of equivalent talent who actually wants to play for us.
Taylor has shown great aptitude in both KF/KD areas and as he is slowing, could be his best way to stay productive in our team.
I just have issues with who will replace Lonergan, eventually, if not soon.

Im not sold on this.

HT just looked awkward up there. In D 50 he's more natural. F 50 he's thinking too much - which I guess is to be expected - but im still not sold on it.

Black may benefit from being the true #2 - not that I sa him mark a thing - but if its just him and Hawkins and Black seems to have the tank to run, let him lead away.

Just not HT in F50 fan yet....

Go Catters

Black has never been a KPF, but he can be very Gunston like. A decent mark, a great kick, and mobile.
He easily replaces Kersten, that is all we can ask for- somebody of equivalent talent who actually wants to play for us.
Taylor has shown great aptitude in both KF/KD areas and as he is slowing, could be his best way to stay productive in our team.
I just have issues with who will replace Lonergan, eventually, if not soon.

I'm not convinced on HT in the F50 at all......I think it will be shortlived, and I suspect Lonners may not see the year out.

Im not sold on this.

HT just looked awkward up there. In D 50 he's more natural. F 50 he's thinking too much - which I guess is to be expected - but im still not sold on it.

Black may benefit from being the true #2 - not that I sa him mark a thing - but if its just him and Hawkins and Black seems to have the tank to run, let him lead away.

Just not HT in F50 fan yet....

Go Catters

Nor me.

Worth a try I suppose, but I suspect the experiment won't last long, and if Lonners fades as the year goes on HT will likely be returned to the backline in the resultant shuffling of positions anyhow.

I don't see what the problem was.
How many times did Harry get totally outmarked or didn't make a contest?
How many times did the ball go to him and it was effortlessly ran out of 50?
Would of Black kicked 4 goals if it wasn't for Taylor?
We've never been needing a star to help Hawkins.
We've just needed someone who'll always demand a defender, make a contest every time and apply pressure.

Exactly my thoughts!

2nd ruck/Danger/Selwood - Hawkins - McCarthy
Menzel - Black - Motlop/Cockatoo

I like this sort of combination and variations of pending rotations and resting players, as long as Black can make a key defender accountable then this structure can be very productive.
Not having Taylor down back made me very nervous at times, I'm not against the idea of him up forward at times but if other players form i.e.: Black mean Taylor stays back then yes please!
Black has never been a KPF though his best role is as the third forward where he can work up and back and beat his man back towards goal. This is what he was doing to great effect in his first few years at North but then was asked to play as a second forward to Petrie and that is when his game started to suffer

I thought Harry did alright. The quality of his defensive pressure was noticeable and he was involved in 3-4 goals, we are yet to see quality movement inside the 50 from the pair of Hawkins and Taylor but the other stuff was alright.
What I also look forward to seeing is Harry's ability to impact opposition kick ins. Having his pack marking ability full time in the kick in zone instead of having to hang back as a defensive stopper should create more scoring chances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see what the problem was.
How many times did Harry get totally outmarked or didn't make a contest?
How many times did the ball go to him and it was effortlessly ran out of 50?
Would of Black kicked 4 goals if it wasn't for Taylor?
We've never been needing a star to help Hawkins.
We've just needed someone who'll always demand a defender, make a contest every time and apply pressure.
I'll tell you what the problem was... People have their own pre conceived ideas that will never change no matter what happens between now and the end of Taylor's career... It's as simple as that!

If it were trade week, no-one here would swap Harry Taylor for a 28yo unproven / below average forward. Which is essentially what we do every time we send him forward.

I could elaborate this point further but I can't be bothered.
He's not a below average forward. What game are you watching?

Black has never been a KPF though his best role is as the third forward where he can work up and back and beat his man back towards goal. This is what he was doing to great effect in his first few years at North but then was asked to play as a second forward to Petrie and that is when his game started to suffer
So do you think Blacks role might work better when there is Hawkins and Taylor/Stanley as the focal points? What if Menzel was full forward closer to goal playing next to Black and Hawkins at CHF?

IMO Black ( who I thought could be 2nd) might be better as a 3rd....

His movement on the ground was better than I thought and if he plays the lead up better - let him do that. Put Hawk and Stanley up there if the perpetual long bomb must continue. :mad:

BLack and Menzel as 3rd KPF would both work together well but also are different in IMO. Could be a good change up. Add a Bews, Mots, Parfitt, at the feet.... Could have some varied dynamic in that group.

GO Catters

So do you think Blacks role might work better when there is Hawkins and Taylor/Stanley as the focal points? What if Menzel was full forward closer to goal playing next to Black and Hawkins at CHF?
You'd think Taylor and Hawkins would take 3 defenders between them, if Menzel or Black could lead away from them and we can lower our eyes a bit we would always have a marking player who's one on one.
I dunno about Black being a proper CHF. Not sure it's his go.

As long as there are 2 good marking KF' there- Hawkins, HT/RS, then Black as the 3rd tall will thrive - With Menzel, McCarthy but not every week depending on conditions.

There's a reason too why Stanley isn't our CHF. He can't stay in the game. Defenders will just drop off him and we'll have the same problem we've had for years.
Like at Stkilda he'll have a good day every now and then but more often than not he'll go missing. He needs a role where he follows the ball.
We need someone who'll always demand a defender. It's kinda the point.

No matter what people's original thoughts were on moving Taylor forward, to remove him from the experiment after the FIRST preseason game in cold, windy and slippery conditions on a smallish ground in Tassy is quite obsurd.
Yep. Even I as a #halfforwardharry sceptic can admit that.

#hangbackharry

Remove this Banner Ad

Back