Taylor Walker... how's he going?

Remove this Banner Ad

In his last 8 games in 2018 he kicked more than one goal, just once.

In 2019, he has scored one goal against the Hawks, Cats and Eagles.

I mean FFS when is enough is enough.

He has been a great player for our Club, but we need to move on and he needs to do whats best for our Club that he says he loves so much.

I remember being at the game in round 5 2013 against Carlton when Tex did his acl. Was one of the worst feelings I've ever had at the footy. He'd been phenomenal in the 2012 finals series and you had to worry that he might not be the same player again after that injury. Sadly he never was the same and probably never reached his full potential due to this. He's been good, but never became the absolute superstar he looked like becoming in 2012.

Then we had last year where he was bad and we were all convinced that he was just injured or lacking preparation and that a decent preseason would see him back in form. Now it's become clear that this is just his normal level. Occasionally he'll hit a brilliant left foot pass from 50m (there was one in the game v North which was stunning) and it's a reminder of what he's capable of at his best, but generally he offers very little. Sadly he's done.

I started a thread like this a while ago and got abused to no end.

Maybe I was right. He’s done.
In my eyes he was done during the 2017 grand final. I would sit him down and have an adult conversation with him. Has become a little too big for his boots down there and has a pretty high opinion of himself. No one is bigger than the club. Would play him in the sanfl and retire him end of year. Thanks for your services Taylor but your well and truly done.

Last edited:
Got to see the classic 'Tex gets smothered while trying to kick it 50' move again tonight.
Wasn't even a genuine smother. He kicked it into Gov's guts ffs. Absolute shocker.

I remember being at the game in round 5 2013 against Carlton when Tex did his acl. Was one of the worst feelings I've ever had at the footy. He'd been phenomenal in the 2012 finals series and you had to worry that he might not be the same player again after that injury. Sadly he never was the same and probably never reached his full potential due to this. He's been good, but never became the absolute superstar he looked like becoming in 2012.

Then we had last year where he was bad and we were all convinced that he was just injured or lacking preparation and that a decent preseason would see him back in form. Now it's become clear that this is just his normal level. Occasionally he'll hit a brilliant left foot pass from 50m (there was one in the game v North which was stunning) and it's a reminder of what he's capable of at his best, but generally he offers very little. Sadly he's done.

Unfortunately I think you are correct. He teases at times, but is struggling to put in consistent performances. Was solid against Brisbane, but made some simple errors, was woeful this evening, completely invisible.

Am not against dropping him at all after that effort, I don't want to write him off just yet, but go back to the SANFL and remember how to play football.

I think there's a lack of honest conversations with Taylor and others at the club. Reasonable considering how much of a figure he is at the club, his instalment as captain by Walsh, and the complete s**t-storm the Adelaide media will enter if Taylor was to be dropped or managed.

However and ultimately, this is doing no one any favours. Taylor's game is suffering, he's not having a greatly positive impact on games, he's taking games away from youth, and he's consistently being questioned by fans, viewers and media.

As has been mentioned, this now seems to be his baseline performance and a positive transition to his pre-ACL game is not feasible. Too soft at contests, focus on his player as opposed to marking, would rather attempt to tap on behind him then mark, holds onto the ball far too long, sllly frees, and for some reason cannot put two hands up to grab the ball (my hypothesis is that he is too concerned about relying on landing on one leg due to the traumatic nature of his landing against Carlton - gone is the early jump/hans out in front mark [see 1:52 of ]). It is frightening to see the extent to which Taylor's game has declined.

In my eyes, the most positive and genuine course of action is for Taylor to be talked to about this by coaching staff and players, but I doubt it will ever happen.

He's a totally different character to the lovable larrikin he was 3ish years ago. It's fairly obvious why that is (mental scarring from incessant media/public pile ons/other issues) and it's extremely detrimental to the footy club.

"Bring the enjoyment back" is a cliche, but clearly he needs to do just that and hand the reins over. It seems the club is stubborn in not wanting to cave into media pressure, but honestly if Tex is open and honest as to why, and there's minimal fuss about it, it will be a net positive for the club and team.

Calls for him to retire/be traded are way over the top too. There's not much difference between his current level of fitness and that in 2017.

Stunningly he's top 20 for total goals, assists and contested marks (?) despite 3-4 Auskick standard games.

Captain or not, if you bomb the ball on his head with 3 defenders surrounded him no one will mark its.

Give him time, space and players blocking for him to move and lead in with quick ball movement, his form and dare I say his captaincy is fine as well.

What's the point in sending him back to the sanfl. When you're finished, you're finished. No amount of time in the sanfl is going make him younger. Delist at the end of the year.

Has been the shadow of the player he once was for nearly 2 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with comments about delivery coming in but frustrating to watch is his over concern for oppo's defenders or his direct opponent, when first and foremost it should be the football. Seemingly obvious and fixed with simple tweaking, yet we see it time and time again. Sloane is example of opposite, his only intention and focus is always the ball.

Captain or not, if you bomb the ball on his head with 3 defenders surrounded him no one will mark its.

Give him time, space and players blocking for him to move and lead in with quick ball movement, his form and dare I say his captaincy is fine as well.
Before we all pile crap on Walker take a look at the hack kicks B Crouch, Greenwood and Ellis-Yolmen provide . B crouch and Greenwood hardly ever lace him out and their kicks are shite so don’t put all the blame on Walker .
I agree though in a pack situation he needs to go up with two hands not one . Same thing Jenkins was doing in his games this year .

Our structure is terrible. Tex should be playing deep, that’s his strength. Our ball movement is too slow, meaning our forward 50 is crowded and our delivery is rubbish. Kennedy would struggle playing for the Crows.

Before we all pile crap on Walker take a look at the hack kicks B Crouch, Greenwood and Ellis-Yolmen provide . B crouch and Greenwood hardly ever lace him out and their kicks are shite so don’t put all the blame on Walker .
I agree though in a pack situation he needs to go up with two hands not one . Same thing Jenkins was doing in his games this year .

Horses for courses. I would say, in many examples going up one handed isn’t even a issue. As long as he is making that contest and can bring the ball to ground. Bring the rovers and half forwards into the game to crumb the ball.

IMO, Tex is the least of our worries.

He's been thrashed physically, mentally and emotionally.

This.

Anyone can see he’s not playing good football. Some might even say he needs a spell. But after what he’s done for the club over the years, if you’re expressing those opinions laced with disrespect, you’re a grub. Plain and simple.

I think there's a lack of honest conversations with Taylor and others at the club. Reasonable considering how much of a figure he is at the club, his instalment as captain by Walsh, and the complete ****-storm the Adelaide media will enter if Taylor was to be dropped or managed.

However and ultimately, this is doing no one any favours. Taylor's game is suffering, he's not having a greatly positive impact on games, he's taking games away from youth, and he's consistently being questioned by fans, viewers and media.

As has been mentioned, this now seems to be his baseline performance and a positive transition to his pre-ACL game is not feasible. Too soft at contests, focus on his player as opposed to marking, would rather attempt to tap on behind him then mark, holds onto the ball far too long, sllly frees, and for some reason cannot put two hands up to grab the ball (my hypothesis is that he is too concerned about relying on landing on one leg due to the traumatic nature of his landing against Carlton - gone is the early jump/hans out in front mark [see 1:52 of ]). It is frightening to see the extent to which Taylor's game has declined.

In my eyes, the most positive and genuine course of action is for Taylor to be talked to about this by coaching staff and players, but I doubt it will ever happen.

He doesn’t move like that anymore unfortunately.

The Club has set Precedent this Season in if you are out of FORM go back to the 2's and FIX it
Some Names Jenkins,Gibbs,Gallucci,Knights, although Due to Injuries in the A's Gibbs,Knights Gallucci
have become YO YO's up and down Tex has to go back to work on his Form.
Hawthorn weren't afraid to drop Roughhead, a player who was Captain last year TEX is in the same Boat(His Form)

This.

Anyone can see he’s not playing good football. Some might even say he needs a spell. But after what he’s done for the club over the years, if you’re expressing those opinions laced with disrespect, you’re a grub. Plain and simple.
Thankyou for your post
I can’t believe some of the comments in this thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back