Taylor Walker... how's he going?

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Nicks too afraid to drop Walker do you think?
Lets face it, a purple patch last week kept Walker in this weeks side but sooner or later for Nicks' own credibility he has to drop the hammer on non performing players.
Inb4 you use MCrouch as a counter argument
How can a key forward really perform with what they're served up?

The Frampton kick was fantastic and he should have got that and there was another one which I thought was disappointing but I think you could be the best forward in the comp and you'd struggle to do much in our team right now.

If we decide to hold him accountable than we may as well give up on picking key position forwards as they're not going to be able to provide us anything.

How can a key forward really perform with what they're served up?

The Frampton kick was fantastic and he should have got that and there was another one which I thought was disappointing but I think you could be the best forward in the comp and you'd struggle to do much in our team right now.

If we decide to hold him accountable than we may as well give up on picking key position forwards as they're not going to be able to provide us anything.

That said, his inability to get reliably get separation and barely putting in the minimum amount of effort into marking contests do not help supply.

As a forward, you are reliant on supply, but you can make your life easier by working hard.

That said, his inability to get reliably get separation and barely putting in the minimum amount of effort into marking contests do not help supply.

As a forward, you are reliant on supply, but you can make your life easier by working hard.
Yeah won't find me arguing there although I feel like he's always been a bit like that. Never really known for his defensive efforts and he's as slow as anything but that's just what he is as a player. Unfortunately we don't get any of his strengths with where we're at but I'm not sure any KP forwards we have change that either.

Fog is the exception I would say as he does attack it hard both ways.

For team balance, we cannot play Walker & Fogarty in the same side.

Fog must play when fit.

Given Tex's form, we are better off trying McAsey or someone else up forward.
I agree they are too similar to play both.
Im a bit concerned for Tex. Heard him on the radio a few weeks ago and sounds like he is struggling. Been a champion of the club love to see him finish off the year with some good performances.

Look, Tex is obviously over the hill and this should be his last year. Has lost any pace that he did have after his knee and can't take a contested mark to save himself.

But, he could still be an okay forward. Imagine playing in a forward line for the past three years where your team mates will not or can not kick in your general direction when you've been able to make space and when they do, it is to the defender's advantage.

The base line for any Key Position forward, yes even one in our side with the delivery they get, is to compete and provide a contest. Tex doesn’t do this, hence he must go. Take the emotion out of it and it’s a no brainer. I can almost guarantee our forward line would operate much better without Tex there.

We are a worse side going forward with Tex playing. He was rightly called out by Dunstall 2-3 times today for poor effort at the contest, and he is constantly not only failing to make a contest but the majority of the time he actually gets outmarked and allows the opposition to slingshot back down the other end for a score. Defenders pay him no respect because they know he cannot jump or chase and he no longer attracts the strongest defender because a mid-size player with decent speed and agility will do the job on him every time, and other teams know this.

When he went off today in the third quarter, we immediately looked far more dangerous up forward, and we kicked two goals immediately because he wasn't sucking the ball to a bad spot and failing to make a contest because he can't jump. As a result Frampton was able to not only bring some ball to ground but also kick a goal himself and McAdam immediately came into the game. He also led straight at the spare man in defense today a lot and dropped at least 3 marks a first year player should have taken.

Playing Tex in our forward line not only makes us worse as a team, it makes other players like Fog, Frampton, McAdam and Himmelberg worse. He is either physically or mentally (or both) incapable of contesting at the highest level anymore and playing him is severely harming the development of our younger players. Since mid-2017 he has been on a slow decline but this year the drop-off has been steep, and it's going to be too far for him in a shortened season to make it back to consistent form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every players career comes to an end. Was a sad day watching Bungee hang them up. Feel Walker should have a chat this week with Nicks about giving opportunity to the new brigade. Seems a good clubman so a negotiated settlement shortly would be a win win for both parties.

It's time Tex. You've been much loved, a champion of the club and loyal to the last when others betrayed us.
Losing you will feel like putting down an old family dog - you hate to do it but deep down its best for everyone.

God I wish they could of worked on some blocks and got Tex some clean delivery because the rest of the team kicked for goal like Petrenko today

I miss the one good goal that he kicked. Gosh it really could have gone anywhere in hindsight.

I love Tex and defend him more than most but he needs to stop the 1 handed attempted marking. It may look nice the 1 time out of a hundred when it lands directly in the lap of a teammate but the other 99 times it just looks soft. It is like he is worried about the contact to the chest so tucks 1 arm in to protect himself and a token arm up to compete.

He might accidentally take a mark by putting both dukes up and keeping his eyes open but he doesn't give himself the chance...

With all the youngsters we got playing, it is setting a really poor example when he does this. Will Fog or others start doing this too after seeing his former captain and club legend continually so this?

It is sad to see a bloke who has been such a good footballer and a legend at our club continuing to play when it is obvious that he is past it, well and truly. How many even adequate games in the past 3 years? If he doesn't know it himself, then he is a master of self-deception. Nicks needs to have a serious man conversation with him and get him to retire before he loses whatever respect he still retains from the supporters.
I hope he remains with the club in some capacity when he does hang up the boots. He bleeds our colours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back