Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
How was there talk about him playing on a wing. Talk of him going to the back half are equally absurd. Needs to get fit, lose weight so he can regain a bit of mobility and he might be able to return and provide value. But right now, he's a liability.

I agree, with a younger player like McAsey for instance you might try to find a spot for him but Walker is at the end of his career. Any change of position would make us a poorer team with no long term benefits. The back up ruck role was a scenario that could of worked but failed. It's sad but the game passed him by 12 months ago.

I think he may have been a better player last year if Pyke had the courage to remove him as Captain and just had Sloane.

I also feel maybe with Tex there is too much baggage and history and the side perhaps can't move on with him in it.

MrBarry

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester City
Thing is though, he's literally just turned 30 - was 29 at the start of the season and played 189 games. Would his body really be past it already? Yes he had a serious knee injury, but that was in 2013 and he has had good seasons since then. I'm just shocked that he has fallen off so quickly to be honest, as I don't feel he is that 'old'.

Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thing is though, he's literally just turned 30 - was 29 at the start of the season and played 189 games. Would his body really be past it already? Yes he had a serious knee injury, but that was in 2013 and he has had good seasons since then. I'm just shocked that he has fallen off so quickly to be honest, as I don't feel he is that 'old'.
He's not dropped off nearly as much as it seems. I suspect he would still be a solid contributor in a cohesive system.

Since the Adelaide forward system of 2016/2017 was dissolved. Of those six players, only Cameron (who moved into another cohesive forward structure,) has been truly excellent. And of the other 5 players, only Jenkins (2018) and Walker(2019) had one good season each, both of which were significantly down on their best.

He's also been too heavy for a few years. That would put some extra stress on joints.

It might be the case of with a very rigorous lifestyle, you might be able to eek out 50 more games, but Tex certainly doesn't look like he's been living that rigorous lifestyle.

Mar 26, 2015
The Land of Apricot Slice
AFL Club
Adelaide
I can understand the explanations around forward delivery etc, but the one handed contests/looking for the man instead of the ball at every opportunity are inexcusable.
Would be dropped from an amateur side for that kind of stuff, let alone the AFL.

I can't understand how our forwad coach allows it to happ........ oh Ben Hart, right. Move along.....

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
It is sad to see a bloke who has been such a good footballer and a legend at our club continuing to play when it is obvious that he is past it, well and truly. How many even adequate games in the past 3 years? If he doesn't know it himself, then he is a master of self-deception. Nicks needs to have a serious man conversation with him and get him to retire before he loses whatever respect he still retains from the supporters.
I hope he remains with the club in some capacity when he does hang up the boots. He bleeds our colours.
For me the only club legends are Andrew McLeod and Darren Jarman. 2 players that stood up when it mattered most. Betts would be next closest to being a legend along with Edwards, Riccuito, Hart, Goodwin, Smart I would say. Tex has been a good servant of the club and before he did his knee was a very good forward but all players come to an end and if he is being honest with himself should have retired end of last year. Likely the only thing that stopped that was the contract he was mistakenly given and list management not wanting another player other than Gibbs not playing on undeserved money. Btw list management you have a lot to answer for.
We also have too many past players at the club and if he was to go into coaching he should do as Ben Rutten did and get experience at another club.

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Contrary to what 99% of this board say, he can still play.

He's not perfect but if you can accept him for what he brings (basically the same strengths and weaknesses he's had his entire career) then you'll see he still brings value to this team. He's going to go missing for big patches as will all of our forward line with how poor we are as a team. But if we can put it out in front of him on the lead he's still going to compete and he's got the brains to make the most of opportunities that others won't.

He's one of our best players to play over the last decade, has lead from the front and been one of the few to fly the flag for this club both on and off the field, the least he deserves is a bit of respect from the so called supporters of this club who look to trash him any any opportunity they get at the moment.

MrBarry

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester City
For me he's our best forward still by some length, if we didn't have him playing then I think we would struggle to score to be honest.

Deserves more respect, he's about to surpass Modra as our highest ever goal scorer this year ffs and will likely remain in that position for the next decade or so.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
On paper it is only two games but Reiwoldt with two premierships probably has a free pass for the rest of his career in the media so I don't think we can compare the two.

I feel sorry for Tex given how bad our delivery is but he just doesn't go hard enough, enough of the time. I love the guy but he is done and to be honest he probably has been for two years.

I think our standards have dropped a fair bit in terms of what we accept over the course of the season if we are happy with his output given he would be one of our highest paid players.

If it plays out like the Captaincy then the club won't make a hard call on him at seasons end and pay him out, they will leave it up to him to call it. I think there is a fair chance he retires.

I think the club needs him to retire to move on and have a fresh start in a new era.

Sack Chapman

All Australian
Mar 21, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty Bays
When he first came onto the scene I said we should win at least one premiership with him as one of our key forwards. Great servant of the club.

When he first came onto the scene I said we should win at least one premiership with him as one of our key forwards. Great servant of the club.

Carried us to two prelim finals with good years in them, 2012 and 2017.

His 2012 Finals form was something special. Robbed by #freekickhawthorn otherwise we play Sydney in a GF at a neutral ground. They were our bitches at the time too.

Launched a bomb in Victoria in 2012, at a time when the Hawks were almost an unbeatable team. I thought it was happening at HT in that game...:'(

When he chooses to compete aggressively, he’s still capable.

Problem is, he rarely chooses to compete.
don't think that's the right word there. he's never been a crash the pack forward, but we try and make him one

if he gets good delivery, he's deadly. but we've got matt crouch..

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
On paper it is only two games but Reiwoldt with two premierships probably has a free pass for the rest of his career in the media so I don't think we can compare the two.

I feel sorry for Tex given how bad our delivery is but he just doesn't go hard enough, enough of the time. I love the guy but he is done and to be honest he probably has been for two years.

I think our standards have dropped a fair bit in terms of what we accept over the course of the season if we are happy with his output given he would be one of our highest paid players.

If it plays out like the Captaincy then the club won't make a hard call on him at seasons end and pay him out, they will leave it up to him to call it. I think there is a fair chance he retires.

I think the club needs him to retire to move on and have a fresh start in a new era.
Unfortunately, I think you are right.

He was good last night, which just goes to show he is one of those players who shouldn't 'try to get through the game' when he is injured. Tex and Sloane are ones we need 100% fit and their 90% isn't as good as the next bloke.

He's contracted for next year as well, but he is a team first person, so if it's time to retire, it's time. Might be good for both parties to get some fresh air.

Despite all the media BS that goes onto him, wait for all the clubs to line him up for a coaching role.

Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
don't think that's the right word there. he's never been a crash the pack forward, but we try and make him one

if he gets good delivery, he's deadly. but we've got matt crouch..
Do you know how difficult it is to click on 'like' on your posts with that boofhead you have in your avatar?

Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think he’s checked out to an extent. I still think he cares, but has a family now and realises there’s more to life outside footy.

Can’t blame him really. He was huge through the Walsh tragedy and our tilt at the flag. Copped s**t from all angles since the GF.

He seems past it, yet is the only one who looks like scoring. Could see him pulling up stumps at years end.

Back