Taylor Walker... how's he going?

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately, I think you are right.

He was good last night, which just goes to show he is one of those players who shouldn't 'try to get through the game' when he is injured. Tex and Sloane are ones we need 100% fit and their 90% isn't as good as the next bloke.

He's contracted for next year as well, but he is a team first person, so if it's time to retire, it's time. Might be good for both parties to get some fresh air.

Despite all the media BS that goes onto him, wait for all the clubs to line him up for a coaching role.

If we're trying to nudge him into retirement, a 1 year coaching role to make up for the 1 year left on his playing contract might be part of the deal to get him to hang up the boots. Just push out Hart / Reilly / Wright (or all of the above) to make room. Wouldn't be any worse.

If we're trying to nudge him into retirement, a 1 year coaching role to make up for the 1 year left on his playing contract might be part of the deal to get him to hang up the boots. Just push out Hart / Reilly / Wright (or all of the above) to make room. Wouldn't be any worse.
Another job for the boys?

The most frustrating aspect of Tex was summed up last night in one minute of play. He is still absolutely capable of impacting the game but mentally has checked out entirely.

He attacked a contest one handed instead of jumping and going with a pair and putting his body on the line - and actually manages to fluke what should have been paid as a mark but isn't. Shocking decision, play on.

Becomes so pissed off about this that the next ball in he charges at, sticks up two hands and crashes thru his opponents to clunk a good solid FF style grab - PROVING he is 100% capable of attacking the footy this way. First time this has been spotted in the wild in god knows how long.

I don't care that he missed the goal, even if he would have nailed it 3 years ago - he literally showed us he can still be a target when he wants to, but I fully expect that to be the last time we see it for the year because it took an absolute howler in the second half by the umpire to fire him up to the point most players cross the white line with at the start of the game.

The rest of his game was pretty standard to be honest - a lot of one-handed attempts, a couple of free kick shots at goal and a few handballs. On any other night he could have had 4, or 0.

The most frustrating aspect of Tex was summed up last night in one minute of play. He is still absolutely capable of impacting the game but mentally has checked out entirely.

He attacked a contest one handed instead of jumping and going with a pair and putting his body on the line - and actually manages to fluke what should have been paid as a mark but isn't. Shocking decision, play on.

Becomes so pissed off about this that the next ball in he charges at, sticks up two hands and crashes thru his opponents to clunk a good solid FF style grab - PROVING he is 100% capable of attacking the footy this way. First time this has been spotted in the wild in god knows how long.

I don't care that he missed the goal, even if he would have nailed it 3 years ago - he literally showed us he can still be a target when he wants to, but I fully expect that to be the last time we see it for the year because it took an absolute howler in the second half by the umpire to fire him up to the point most players cross the white line with at the start of the game.

The rest of his game was pretty standard to be honest - a lot of one-handed attempts, a couple of free kick shots at goal and a few handballs. On any other night he could have had 4, or 0.
How realistic was it to expect him to get that with two hands? Heaps complained about this but it's just that "I've decided this player is done and therefore I'll be an impossible critic" imo.

Honestly, how do you expect him to somehow get this with two hands? He leads one way, Mackay doesn't kick it there, he still runs back at the flight and reaches out with one arm, you're not getting that with two.

How people can have a crack at him for this contest is mind boggling.

Watching Tex.last night his main issue is his timing is off. His body is shot.

Yes he leads. This was one of his best traits. He was also good in transition. These two aspects of his game have diminished.

A lot of times when we won the ball at HB he was too slow to get up forward, and our backing will hold the ball up and/or go sideways. Or we just bomb it into our smalls.

He ran under the ball a few times, the doubled back in time to attempt a crumb.

He should be the guy hitting the ball in the air, and he is trying to.

But his timing is bad. Time to retire.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

How realistic was it to expect him to get that with two hands? Heaps complained about this but it's just that "I've decided this player is done and therefore I'll be an impossible critic" imo.

Honestly, how do you expect him to somehow get this with two hands? He leads one way, Mackay doesn't kick it there, he still runs back at the flight and reaches out with one arm, you're not getting that with two.

How people can have a crack at him for this contest is mind boggling.

It's easy - play the clip of McAsey taking his mark down the other end of the ground and then play the clip you have above.

Aside from the mark he took immediately after that clip above (because he was pissed off at not getting the call) Walker hasn't attacked the ball like that for a long time. That's why people criticise him for constantly going one handed at the contest - because we can all tell he doesn't need to.

don't think that's the right word there. he's never been a crash the pack forward, but we try and make him one

if he gets good delivery, he's deadly. but we've got matt crouch..

I stand by it.

He doesn’t make anywhere near enough leads, and frequently doesn’t compete when he should.

I stand by it.

He doesn’t make anywhere near enough leads, and frequently doesn’t compete when he should.
It's just you don't realise he is leading because the passing is so bad it doesn't even look like they are kicking it to him.

Who was DMac kicking that one to?

It's easy - play the clip of McAsey taking his mark down the other end of the ground and then play the clip you have above.

Aside from the mark he took immediately after that clip above (because he was pissed off at not getting the call) Walker hasn't attacked the ball like that for a long time. That's why people criticise him for constantly going one handed at the contest - because we can all tell he doesn't need to.
So you're pretty much wanting something he's never shown in his career if you're wanting to take one running into traffic?

And the second one shows what happens when it's kicked in front of him. He's a leading forward, not a pack marking forward. I would love to people to show me some clips where he's actually given something in front of him like that and he doesn't go at it.

He frequently doesn't lead though - just stands there and waits for it to drop on his head, or points 5 metres in front of him.

I'm not one of the crew here who slam Tex, I think he's been terribly treated by the AFC, but he isn't competing enough at present, simple as that.

When he competes with intensity, he's still capable.

Walker has kicked 434 club goals by being a skillful, lead up forward - who has/d a booming kick. He's never been a crash the pack forward and not sure why you think he would do that now.

The way we deliver the ball to him at times is pathetic and thats genuinely being kind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carried us to two prelim finals with good years in them, 2012 and 2017.

His 2012 Finals form was something special. Robbed by #freekickhawthorn otherwise we play Sydney in a GF at a neutral ground. They were our bitches at the time too.

Launched a bomb in Victoria in 2012, at a time when the Hawks were almost an unbeatable team. I thought it was happening at HT in that game...:'(

His game in the final vs Freo was amazing.

He frequently doesn't lead though - just stands there and waits for it to drop on his head, or points 5 metres in front of him.

I'm not one of the crew here who slam Tex, I think he's been terribly treated by the AFC, but he isn't competing enough at present, simple as that.

I get where you're coming from Kingy

Walker, Gunston, Tippett, Dangerfield, Davis, Vince, Sloane . You retain talent like that you win premiership(s).

So you're pretty much wanting something he's never shown in his career if you're wanting to take one running into traffic?

And the second one shows what happens when it's kicked in front of him. He's a leading forward, not a pack marking forward. I would love to people to show me some clips where he's actually given something in front of him like that and he doesn't go at it.
He spent most of 2017 running back with the flight of the ball, he's got no problems going in that direction.

The second clip shows what happens when he ATTACKS the ball. He makes too many 5 metre leads and then doubles back waving his arm over his head and then is totally out of position waiting for a 70m kick to land on his head instead of being swallowed up by the spare man in defence, which he is called out for frequently.

I agree that he is a lead up forward - he just doesn't lead at the ball carrier like he used to, whether you think it's timing, delivery or motivation - Fogarty and the rest of our forwards don't seem to have an issue with it, even when they can't take the mark - at least the ball comes to ground.

Walker has kicked 434 club goals by being a skillful, lead up forward - who has/d a booming kick. He's never been a crash the pack forward and not sure why you think he would do that now.

The way we deliver the ball to him at times is pathetic and thats genuinely being kind.
He spent most of 2017 leading away from the ball carrier which was our game plan. The last time he was a strong, lead up forward who changed the game by taking multiple marks running at the ball carrier was under Walsh. Last year he had a good game against the Bulldogs early in the season when we dropped Jenkins and he had some free space, but that was the last occasion I remember him actually appearing to try and play this role.

Why would I expect him to do it now? I don't, I'd rather he left that for the bigger players and made some strong ATTACKING leads that the midfield could kick at - but he makes too many 5m leads, doubles back with his arms pointing over his head and gets outmarked.

Look at Fogarty - he demands the ball when he leads because he back himself to mark it or at least crash the bloke in front and spill the ball. Every time. He doesn't take 15 marks per game but he sure as s**t gets the ball kicked to him, because that's the kind of lead other players want to aim at. Even McAsey against Fremantle managed to do that, so it can't be that hard for Tex and his 434 goals of experience to implement.

100% agree. I wish more than anything whatever it is that is stopping him from wanting to compete like this could just disappear, because he's shown in glimpses that he's still physically capable and would contribute for at least another 2 years. On current form, he would be lucky to make the starting 18 next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back