Taylor Walker tackle on Josh Kelly

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn’t that what I said? He was knocked out which was the give away but none of them reacted straight away, because it looked ok in real time which why the umpire originally paid htb. One gws player walked right past Kelly and then kept going.
I’m assuming ‘kernners’ was the idiot wearing number 40?
Why is he an idiot?

I'm ok with him being suspended, I guess it would be consistent but I wouldn't call that a sling tackle.

It is one action.

Normally the tackler would plant their feet and slam them into the ground, Parfitt is the most recent example.

Walker does not do that, both players running forward, tackles and turns him in the tackle.

I'd saying turning him was the right option, without that Kelly gets a kick off.

Also don't believe he "slams" him into the ground.

He will probably get 2 but I can't imagine anyone was sitting at home and thought anything other than it was a great tackle on first viewing.

Anyway here is the Parfitt video for reference.

On second, third and fourth viewing, I don't know if I would call that a sling. The tackle itself isn't that bad. I don't know If I would suspend that at all.
Spot on. The umpire with a box seat view of the tackle originally paid a free to Walker until they noticed Kelly wasn't getting up.

If it was an illegal tackle, how does he get a free kick in the first place?

The process is rubbish.

Spot on. The umpire with a box seat view of the tackle originally paid a free to Walker until they noticed Kelly wasn't getting up.

If it was an illegal tackle, how does he get a free kick in the first place?

The process is rubbish.
He paid the free when the ball came loose

Another umpire blew the whistle to overrule.

The sling occurred after the initial free.

The ball coming loose is completely irrelevant IMO.

It's not like it was going to be called holding the man.

But yes, two different umps saw the same thing different.

One reason these types of tackles are in the game is because the AFL has refused to pay holding the ball consistently. This causes the players to have to tackle for longer and throw the player to the ground in many cases. Then some of them go wrong and players are thrown head first into the ground. The lack of free kicks has also caused a change in the tackling technique. This game is not rugby league. Pay the free kicks. The AFL won't because there will be about 80 free kicks a game like in the 70's. The rules of ARF are such that there should be about 60 plus free kicks a game, but the AFL continues to refuse to umpire to the rules.

Walker will get between a fine and 4 weeks.

The ball coming loose is completely irrelevant IMO.

It's not like it was going to be called holding the man.

But yes, two different umps saw the same thing different.
The ball coming out was relevant because that’s when HTB was paid.

It was pretty clearly a sling tackle. And that will always overturn the existing free.

This is correct.

1st movement: dislodged the ball (free kick)
2nd movement: sling tackle (free kick overturned)

This is correct.

1st movement: dislodged the ball (free kick)
2nd movement: sling tackle (free kick overturned)

You guys are just seeing things that didn't happen.

The tackle didn't dislodge the ball.

Kelly has very clearly tried to kick the ball and Walker turning him has prevented that from happening, his foot only just missed it.

Also the umpire does not put his whistle to his mouth to signal a free kick until Kelly is already on the ground.

So stop trying to recreate the vision to fit your idea that this was some heinous act, it barely fits the criteria of a sling tackle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kelly has very clearly tried to kick the ball and Walker turning him has prevented that from happening, his foot only just missed it.

Also the umpire does not put his whistle to his mouth to signal a free kick until Kelly is already on the ground.

So stop trying to recreate the vision to fit your idea that this was some heinous act, it barely fits the criteria of a sling tackle.

You are experiencing cognative dissonance.

We have all been experienced it.

Take your Crows blinkers off mate.

I'm ok with him being suspended, I guess it would be consistent but I wouldn't call that a sling tackle.

It is one action.

Normally the tackler would plant their feet and slam them into the ground, Parfitt is the most recent example.

Walker does not do that, both players running forward, tackles and turns him in the tackle.

I'd saying turning him was the right option, without that Kelly gets a kick off.

Also don't believe he "slams" him into the ground.

He will probably get 2 but I can't imagine anyone was sitting at home and thought anything other than it was a great tackle on first viewing.

Anyway here is the Parfitt video for reference.

Very similar action in the tackle... difference being that in the tex/kelly tackle both players were running in the same direction when the tackle was layed so there was plenty of momentum in that direction already whereas the parfitt one the players were moving towards each other, the tackle was laid and then parfitt slung him onto the ground.

Furthermore it looks like parfitt holds him all the way onto the ground whereas tex lets go before kelly makes contact with the ground.

Has Parfitt been reported?..

Ultimately as a crow supporter I hope tex gets off but if he doesnt it wont be a bad thing to see him rest up early and get himself ready for a injury free preseason.

Time to have a look at Himmelburg!..

It is an outcome based system sometimes. Depends what side of the bed Christian wakes up on, or whether Gil decides to intervene.
Or how much of a frenzy the media gets in

Very similar action in the tackle... difference being that in the tex/kelly tackle both players were running in the same direction when the tackle was layed so there was plenty of momentum in that direction already whereas the parfitt one the players were moving towards each other, the tackle was laid and then parfitt slung him onto the ground.

Furthermore it looks like parfitt holds him all the way onto the ground whereas tex lets go before kelly makes contact with the ground.

Has Parfitt been reported?..

Ultimately as a crow supporter I hope tex gets off but if he doesnt it wont be a bad thing to see him rest up early and get himself ready for a injury free preseason.

Time to have a look at Himmelburg!..
Well Harry's an impressive player so I see your point about focusing on the positives.

It looks like Walker releases Kelly towards the end and certainly doesn't 'follow through' and slam him into the turf

In terms of repercussions for the season, this incident is irrelevant as frankly Walker needs a spell anyway - he is clearly not fit so not sure why he has been out there

Take your Crows blinkers off mate.
Impartial blinkers here.

The AFL seems to have now conditioned everyone to their way of thinking that it is all about the resultant injury.

Kudos AFL, I though the general populous were smarter and better than that.

Impartial blinkers here.

The AFL seems to have now conditioned everyone to their way of thinking that it is all about the resultant injury.

Kudos AFL, I though the general populous were smarter and better than that.

C'mon Fadge, there was a high propensity for a head injury with the way Taylor executed that tackle.

He made a conscious choice to smash a bloke a lot smaller than him in to the ground.

I'm all for bringing back the old ways, but under the current stance, a suspension must come out of that event.

C'mon Fadge, there was a high propensity for a head injury with the way Taylor executed that tackle.

He made a conscious choice to smash a bloke a lot smaller than him in to the ground.

I'm all for bringing back the old ways, but under the current stance, a suspension must come out of that event.
There's are a dozen tackles like that per game. That fact they rarely end up in concussion means they aren't highlighted.

The fact the officiating umpire awards the free after Kelly is on the ground says it all. The decision was only overturned when it was apparent Kelly wasn't getting up.

Seems the tackle is dead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back