Taylor Walker tackle on Josh Kelly

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Definitely a suspension is warranted ... the motion of the plant , turn and swing the player is exactly what the AFL do not want to see .
The shittiest thing with that tackle is that it featured the best footwork i have seen from Tex in years . 2 weeks is about right .
See you in 2019 Tex , and hopefully 3 to 4 kegs lighter , fit and fresh for the preseason .

Spot on. Been saying for years they need to fine him down a bit and increase his flexibility. Would be a far better player for it.

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hawkins did pretty much the exact same tackle on Ricky Henderson the Saturday. I think I've worked out the equation.

Concussion = free kick, 1-2 week suspension

No concussion = holding the ball

Sep 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Yep.....but it’s an outcomes based system......goneski
I keep reading comments like this but didn't matter for Doedee who had his face smeared across the gabba a few weeks ago. The argument is that he ducked (which i reckon he was only bracing for impact, not feining for a free) but either way him being concussed and having no part to play in the rest of the game should have meant suspension if it really was an outcome based system.
FWIW, i'm sure tex will end up with a week or two, just reckon there is no consistency with these mugs in terms of everyday footy incidents resulting in concussion.

bumsonseats

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2009
Back in Stinktown (Adelaide)
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hawkins did pretty much the exact same tackle on Ricky Henderson the Saturday. I think I've worked out the equation.

Should have been a free kick for a dangerous tackle imo, but wasn’t nearly as heavy a tackle as the walker tackle.

Fine at most,

Combathorse

All Australian
Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I was thinking what might save him is he releases before they hit the ground. Still JK was knocked out so he will probably get 2. Doesn't matter anyway, probably needs saving from himself at this point.

Tex9798

Team Captain
Sep 25, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

When did that happen? I watched the game but nothing sticks out.

Edit:
Found it on Twitter for anyone who was wondering.

Last edited:

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

You forgot the 3rd equation:

[No concussion] + [dazed, but can still stand up without assistance] = free kick, no suspension

Aug 27, 2007
Block 108 as loud as any
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Everton_East Freo_Atalanta_Tranmere
Looked a worse action & worse outcome than Nyhuis IMO

On that note it will probably only be 1-2 weeks thanks to the inconsistency of the AFL and the MRO

Mind you the Port medicos said Gray was likely to miss their next game so that may have affected the outcome (even though he didn't miss the next game) so will wait and see about GWS' medical report

Tex9798

Team Captain
Sep 25, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tex offered 2 weeks

About right.

Funny though, tackle = 2 weeks, bump = 3??, throw a punch at someone because you are angry that they bumped your head = fine, jump late and hit a guy in head with your elbow/bicep area= fine.

2 poorly executed football actions get maybe 5 weeks (brown undetermined), 2 non footballing actions = fines because there was no injury.

Kelly gets up and no one even talks about the tackle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tex9798

Team Captain
Sep 25, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Looked a worse action & worse outcome than Nyhuis IMO

On that note it will probably only be 1-2 weeks thanks to the inconsistency of the AFL and the MRO

Mind you the Port medicos said Gray was likely to miss their next game so that may have affected the outcome (even though he didn't miss the next game) so will wait and see about GWS' medical report

Kelly eventually ran off the ground, Gray was stretchered off completely lights out. Im GUESSING thats where the difference is from the MRO point of view.

About right.

Funny though, tackle = 2 weeks, bump = 3??, throw a punch at someone because you are angry that they bumped your head = fine, jump late and hit a guy in head with your elbow/bicep area= fine.

2 poorly executed football actions get maybe 5 weeks (brown undetermined), 2 non footballing actions = fines because there was no injury.

Kelly gets up and no one even talks about the tackle.
Howe got 2 weeks for a punch due to the potential to cause injury, Gaff got 8 weeks due to actually causing injury, other get fines or insufficient force, its a bit of a crap shoot sometimes, the only control players have over the situation most of the time is whether they put themselves at risk of the MRP/Media crap shoot or not

True, Gaff will miss a couple next year too. Close though.
Difference of 6 games in the penalty says no, it's just that there are only two rounds left, considering the Crows can't make the 8 from here and the Gaff suspension will impact finals I'd say not even close to comparable results

ShadeyP

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Spot on. Been saying for years they need to fine him down a bit and increase his flexibility. Would be a far better player for it.
100% . Few KG's , do some pilates and all of the stress injuries should be way more manageable .
Jenkins , Lynch , Talia and Hartigan could all follow a similar path and drop even just 2 kegs and the much needed agility would get a boost .

MattyB_76

Club Legend
Apr 21, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redlegs, Yankees, Fulham FC
Difference of 6 games in the penalty says no, it's just that there are only two rounds left, considering the Crows can't make the 8 from here and the Gaff suspension will impact finals I'd say not even close to comparable results

upload_2018-8-13_15-22-48.jpeg

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I think two weeks is fair. It means he starts next year clear. The smart move would be to take it and move on in my view. I would have been ok with a week as well. Not a horrible thing to do, and Tex isn't a dirty player, but it cant be allowed to happen either.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
One reason these types of tackles are in the game is because the AFL has refused to pay holding the ball consistently. This causes the players to have to tackle for longer and throw the player to the ground in many cases. Then some of them go wrong and players are thrown head first into the ground. The lack of free kicks has also caused a change in the tackling technique. This game is not rugby league. Pay the free kicks. The AFL won't because there will be about 80 free kicks a game like in the 70's. The rules of ARF are such that there should be about 60 plus free kicks a game, but the AFL continues to refuse to umpire to the rules.

Walker will get between a fine and 4 weeks.

I 100% agree.

I was watching bits and pieces of the 3 games today, there were so many instances of the umpires giving players an eternity to dispose of the ball so as to keep the game flowing. It it does is allow more players to come pouring into the contest and cause stoppages.

If you watched the old games where lots of frees were paid, the umpires would blow the whistle quickly and then ball it up quickly. They didn't was valuable time calling for ruckmen to nominate or advise players of where they were going to exit the contest once they'd executed the ball up.

Pay quick free kicks that are there and I think it will fatigue players and end up opening the game up.

bumsonseats

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2009
Back in Stinktown (Adelaide)
AFL Club
Hawthorn
2 weeks......it’s an outcome based system.

Rough conduct
Careless, high impact to the head which is 3 weeks....2 with early plea.

He will get 2 weeks me thinks

Careless
Medium - i’m basing this on the fact he didn’t totally swing tackle him all the way round to force his head to make contact onto the ground. The rotation and gravity of the tackle caused the contact, therefore it was medium, not high.
High

1 week.

I guess we will see come Monday

Gee I love being right.....
And I am bloody good at it ;-)

Was always going to be 2......and possibly 3. Anyone calling for 1, or that he might get off was simply delusional.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back