Coach Teague and Shaw - Under pressure 2021?

Remove this Banner Ad

Stecklp

Rookie
Sep 7, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
It's easy to say it's too early to sack them so soon, but that excuse wasn't given to Neeld, Watters and Primus.

Primus is the particularly applicable example here; he got hired on the back of some good form as the caretaker coach. This was followed by two poor years before he got sacked.

How many credits do Teague and Shaw have in the bank?

I would’ve thought Carlton’s season would be viewed favourably so Teague has got some credits.

Shaw I think would be shaky by half way through 2021 if they don’t have at least 4 wins in 11 games.

Agree Cameron is under serious pressure unless they pull something out of the bag if they make finals, and it won’t take long for Nicks or Goodwin to be under pressure with a slow start in 2021.

What a bizarre thread.

Shaw would definitely be under a bit of pressure after a poor year.

Teague - has Carlton arguably exactly where most HOPED they would be. As awful as today's game was, the team started the day a chance to play finals, and this match was at the end of both a tough season, and a tough sequence of games. Ultimately the team has a bunch of flaws that are getting more exposed as the year goes on. That's what a middle of the road team looks like, though - and Teague took over a bunch of cellar dwellars.

You would HOPE now that Carlton can go away and work on the flaws in the off-season - through recruitment, more time on the game plan and ball movement, and skills coaching. IF we go backwards and slide into the bottom 2 again next year, then sure, Teague will be in trouble. But I reckon you could say the same about 12 other coaches, and Teague might have MORE chance of surviving a bottom 2 finish than some of the others?

Aren't they both contracted until 2022. With finances tight around the league, I don't think many coaches will get the boot if they have more than 12-18 months on their contract unless they completely s**t the bed as clubs would want to avoid a payout.

Shaw is safe for a couple of years, he inherited a list that has a heap of problems. He might have a group ofpromising kids, but he has veterans that are slowing down and that have no trade value and I can't see many free agents all that keen to go to the Roos until they show some signs of life.

Teague might struggle next year if the Blues don't perform and at least threaten for finals. They've been drafting high end picks for years and some of their young talent needs to step up but so long as they continue to progress as they have I don't think he is in too much danger at the moment.

I would’ve thought Carlton’s season would be viewed favourably so Teague has got some credits.
Indeed. He's been without Kreuzer their number 1 ruck, and Curnow their best forward, for the year. Newman, a solid defender, has also missed the year.
Shaw I think would be shaky by half way through 2021 if they don’t have at least 4 wins in 11 games.
If we aren't challenging for finals, he should go. Frankly, I wasn't convinced he was the right choice to begin with. I would have preferred Teague because he comes across as a coach who has some idea what he's doing. At half time today when they were getting spanked, he was calm and articulated what they needed to address, which they did after half time. Shaw's presser yesterday was "we're lost for answers". GTFO!
We started the season well, and Shaw said we should play finals. But it's been a spectacular nose dive since, winning 1 of 14 games.
Agree Cameron is under serious pressure unless they pull something out of the bag if they make finals, and it won’t take long for Nicks or Goodwin to be under pressure with a slow start in 2021.
Nicks will be given time. They were widely expected to bottom out this year and that's what happened.
They've just won 3 on the trot and derailed the finals plans of Carlton and GWS. They've given their fans hope, finished the year strong when other teams are limping to the line.
Whereas North have had 2 x 10 goal losses in our last 3 games, been bent over by Freo and GC, helped keep them in the finals race.
We deserve to finish bottom, and I put a lot of that on our coaches, and those who appointed them.

Teague needs another 2 and a half seasons before you can really judge him I feel. I think they’ve comfortably improved. They’ve won 7 games. In comparison under Fagan, we won 5 games in 2017 and then again in 2018 under him before our rise began.

They are tracking similar to us I feel. Plenty of talent but they need to bring in a couple of good trade targets. No more GWS rejects. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them upset us in the last round.

Teague needs to stop these uncompetitive starts to games, quarters and halves. Overall we were better than last year but apart from bulldogs game out in one 4 qtr game. Our gap between our best and worst is too big, especially in game.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Teague will be if they don’t play finals or go very very close. The spectre of somebody like Ross Lyon will loom large for Carlton, who love a big name and have never fully embraced new coaches like Ratten or Bolton.

Shaw clearly doesn’t rate his list and I expect he’ll do what he can to gut and rebuild it, which will take more time, and he’ll get that.

I'm sorry but have you seen your list? That is like telling a race driver who has been given a Ford Focus that if he isn't challenging for the Formula 1 world title then he is going to be sacked.
Our list is probably the worst in the comp.
Shaw was appointed because he convinced the board that the list was in good shape and that a rebuild wasn't needed (Scott said the opposite and was given the boot). The second half of last year and first 2 games this year showed the Shaw may have been right. But ultimately it was misplaced hope, and he's been proved horribly wrong losing 13 of 14 since and only beating 18th.
So he over estimated the list, and I have little confidence that he's the coach to oversee the rebuild of it, based on decisions he's made during this horror run.

I find it very hard to make any judgement on coaching from watching on tv. Not sure about some of the match selection decisions though

Shaw clearly doesn’t rate his list and I expect he’ll do what he can to gut and rebuild it, which will take more time, and he’ll get that.
He said the opposite last year. So I'm not convinced he'll be given more time if we're bottom 4 again next year. I hope he's not.

We should throw everything at Simmo next year, bring him home with Rawlings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our list is probably the worst in the comp.
Shaw was appointed because he convinced the board that the list was in good shape and that a rebuild wasn't needed (Scott said the opposite and was given the boot). The second half of last year and first 2 games this year showed the Shaw may have been right. But ultimately it was misplaced hope, and he's been proved horribly wrong losing 13 of 14 since and only beating 18th.
So he over estimated the list, and I have little confidence that he's the coach to oversee the rebuild of it, based on decisions he's made during this horror run.

Blame the board for ignoring any potential coach who gave an unfavourable view of North's list then. Shaw did what he needed to do to get the job. Privately he probably thought your list was shite as well.

I think neither of them should be senior coaches to begin with. Both clubs needed to look further than under their noses before choosing both appointments.

Hard to compare the two when North's problems are more than just their Senior Coach. Unlike Teague, who has been coaching for over a decade and has been within four different AFL systems - Shaw is completely out of his depth and inexperienced for the position.

So, what's Teague's excuse for someone who has a strong list that's straight up just underperforming? What's the reason for only being able to extract two quarters out of his side every week on average - especially in a season which's circumstances should favour them. What about some of the selections they've done this season, including the one that cost them a potential finals spot today? How about constantly choosing to play people out of position regularly?

Teague will get next year to show some growth as a coach, but he’s slightly underperformed this year IMO.

Nice guy, but hasn’t developed our gameplan, isn’t tactically astute and there’s been little growth in most of the squad.

Are Carlton young? Or peaking?

Coaches need to be judged on what they are achieving based on the players they have. I think Carlton is a 9-15 type team, and that’s where they will finish.

Coaching is all about expectation management with the Board and supporters. Melbourne had a putrid list, worst in the league, when Roos arrived so 4-18 was acceptable. My view is Goodwin has a top 5-8 list at least at his disposal so every non-finals year is a disaappontment.

Teague will get next year to show some growth as a coach, but he’s slightly underperformed this year IMO.

Nice guy, but hasn’t developed our gameplan, isn’t tactically astute and there’s been little growth in most of the squad.
I suppose to be fair, no coach as had the chance to develop any strategy this year.

The teams up top, funnily enough, are the ones with an engrained strategy and a mature list.

I suppose to be fair, no coach as had the chance to develop any strategy this year.

The teams up top, funnily enough, are the ones with an engrained strategy and a mature list.

We have seen growth in Port Adelaide and Brisbane.

Teague will get one more year to show his wares, but the squad should be further ahead IMO. So many players are either underperforming or not performing/developing at all.

Has John Longmire got such a reputation that Sydney are not contemplating that perhaps his time with this group might be up.

I do believe though that he signed a new contract last year around the time North were looking for a new coach.

Leon Cameron gets them up there each year. Should he be saddled with the theory that the talent there should have won a premiership by now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back