Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davey33

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Alot of talk here and on other boards about Lyon, Clarkson and maybe M Williams.
Meanwhile there is a pretty successful former Adelaide coach reportedly doing a great job in Sydney right now in Don Pyke.
And while we're at it, maybe we can woo Neil Craig back- the guy has one of the most successful football resumes going around (and possibly the reason Bolton had limited success in 2016-17 and everything went downhill thereafter- Craig left Carlton August 2017).

The Flying Doormat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2008
Carrickalinga
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tranmere Rovers
Alot of talk here and on other boards about Lyon, Clarkson and maybe M Williams.
Meanwhile there is a pretty successful former Adelaide coach reportedly doing a great job in Sydney right now in Don Pyke.
And while we're at it, maybe we can woo Neil Craig back- the guy has one of the most successful football resumes going around (and possibly the reason Bolton had limited success in 2016-17 and everything went downhill thereafter- Craig left Carlton August 2017).
Craig went OK, and has a diverse football resume, but wouldn't call it one of the most successful (his stint with the England Rugby Union team where they finished runner up to Sth Africa in 2019 perhaps qualifies as football success)

azzablue16

Senior List
May 1, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
I've been a big advocate, for moving Teague on and think we may need to.
I've also voted as undecided.. It would have to be for progress, not just for the sake of change..

If we are to move him on it would have to be for an upgrade..
I'd be all for someone that has a proven past, of galvanising a lazy list and of winning games/ flags...
Clarkson, Scott, Hardwick, Longmire, Simpson or Lyon

Though how quickly people forget, are guy's like Leppitsch & Voss are great assistants, Yes...
But proven poor head coaches, we used to laugh at them Voss (Crazy Voss) and Leppitsch (Bottom of the table Brisbane), would rather keep Teague..

If it comes to it I would hope that we get outside guidance in deciding a coach..
As I truly do fear that the club would give Barker the job...
Since last years bye to now we have 2 games last year and 4 games this year and in those ins it includes the Gold Coast twice ,

him and his coaching dept out of their depth

clean slate ASAP you can’t trust him with this group going forward and he is mentally shot already

BlueTongue

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2009
The Void
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
TEAM 17 (Flags)
Out of all those names, Williams appeals to me the most. Something about Clarko at this point in time, more so the timing than his ability, makes me think his heart would not be in it as much as he needs time away to De-Hawk.

on the flip side, choco has that hard edge, no s**t, honest effort approach, yet great ability to bond with his players, and mould a group together.

I think he’s exactly what the club needs, but whether he’s up for the job is another thing.

Interesting time, now with Collingwood and Buckley...

Are we going to keep Teague, blink for a Clarkson or Lyon or stay the course and risk losing either target...

Surely Carlton coaching job would be the most desirable...
Finals (maybe more) calibre list, just have no idea how to defend...

Last edited:

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
Interesting time, now with Collingwood and Buckley...

Are we going to keep Teague, blink for a Clarkson or Lyon or stay the course and risk losing either target...

Surely Carlton coaching job would be the most desirable...
Finals (maybe more) calibre list, just have no idea how to defend...
Take the extra money it would cost to 1) sack teague (paying out his 18 months) and 2) hire a replacement in Clarkson or Lyon (top dollar contracts),

and instead spend it on poaching the best assistant coaching panel in the league to support teague (also need to ensure we have the right physio/high performance and football management teams).

If that strategy is not successful, the odds are one of the best assistants in the league would be the prime candidate to step into the Head Coach role after 18 months anyway, so its clearly a better plan than the "sack the coach" model.

Big Red is back

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2006
Visy park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Just fix the line coaches up. Great start with Barker change.
Teague should get another year with a complete rebuild beneath.
I don't like the Worsfold addition being remote but at the end of the day, Teague should know what he wants and requires.

Only if he agrees to a complete rebuild of his hideous game plan and if the players still support him.

Also with him under siege and with only 1 year left on his contract how would you attract a decent assistant coach when they typically get removed the moment a coach changes.

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Take the extra money it would cost to 1) sack teague (paying out his 18 months) and 2) hire a replacement in Clarkson or Lyon (top dollar contracts),

and instead spend it on poaching the best assistant coaching panel in the league to support teague (also need to ensure we have the right physio/high performance and football management teams).

If that strategy is not successful, the odds are one of the best assistants in the league would be the prime candidate to step into the Head Coach role after 18 months anyway, so its clearly a better plan than the "sack the coach" model.
Big thing this plan doesn't address is a potential player exodus. Highly unlikely but if the players are done with Teagues gameplan a whole suite of new assistants enforcing the same gameplan won't change anything in the eyes of Mckay, Cripps, Sps, Dow, Cuningham, stocker etc.

Mar 19, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Broncos

Agree with this, however, it totally depends on Teague, is he open to listening and fixing the broken gameplan and implementing something that suits our players? Surely the current coaching group can see what is happening on the field and it is not working? So either they are all "yes" men or Teague is not listening to his assistants?

Feb 16, 2013
Where the sun don't shine
AFL Club
Carlton
Craig went OK, and has a diverse football resume, but wouldn't call it one of the most successful (his stint with the England Rugby Union team where they finished runner up to Sth Africa in 2019 perhaps qualifies as football success)
Didnt realise Craig went to GC to hep out Dew until the other day.

Gavstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Lakers, Longhorns
Agree with this, however, it totally depends on Teague, is he open to listening and fixing the broken gameplan and implementing something that suits our players? Surely the current coaching group can see what is happening on the field and it is not working? So either they are all "yes" men or Teague is not listening to his assistants?

What if due to the long term uncertainties about Teague's place as senior coach we struggle to attract good quality assistants?

May 1, 2002
AFL Club
Carlton
Only if he agrees to a complete rebuild of his hideous game plan and if the players still support him.

Also with him under siege and with only 1 year left on his contract how would you attract a decent assistant coach when they typically get removed the moment a coach changes.

IMO - Our game plan can be tweaked and fixed quickly. The 'new' line coaches need to fix our setups and structures.
Teague needs to get the defensive mindset and mental contested application right. Mentally we are weak at the contest and this is highlighted when the opposition goes up a notch.

You would think, the opportunity to increase your value internally and externally, would have assistant coaches jumping at the opportunity, especially assistance aspiring to become senior coaches.

ps. I'll just add - I also feel Teague needs to fix or start showing after the bye that our players mental strength and application towards the contest has changed, else he might not make it to next year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TwiggleyFanClub

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Big thing this plan doesn't address is a potential player exodus. Highly unlikely but if the players are done with Teagues gameplan a whole suite of new assistants enforcing the same gameplan won't change anything in the eyes of Mckay, Cripps, Sps, Dow, Cuningham, stocker etc.

Agree. Stoppages and forward/defensive craft are with the line coaches, but the overall strategy guides those and that's where it goes to hell. Those are on Teague.
It also won't fix team selection and playing players in their natural positions.

Mar 19, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Broncos
What if due to the long term uncertainties about Teague's place as senior coach we struggle to attract good quality assistants?

Hopefully the review will shed some light on this. Either way it can't go on like this, something is broken, there is no connection between the gameplan and the players. We do the same thing every week and it's not working. I don't think we are playing bad, but we are not playing good either, there's a break down somewhere and that is hopefully what this review will show up.

A bit of a shake up, a new day, a new path, I think you will always find good assistants, there are many clever coaches out there and not just AFL, we need to find them.

Gavstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
IMO - Our game plan can be tweaked and fixed quickly. The 'new' line coaches need to fix our setups and structures.
Teague needs to get the defensive mindset and mental contested application right. Mentally we are weak at the contest and this is highlighted when the opposition goes up a notch.

You would think, the opportunity to increase your value internally and externally, would have assistant coaches jumping at the opportunity, especially assistance aspiring to become senior coaches.

ps. I'll just add - I also feel Teague needs to fix or start showing our players mental strength and application towards the contest has changed, else he might not make the next 12 months.

If we stick with Teague and have a poor second half of the season the Board may not survive.

That is a really good question. Hopefully the review would address this but I am not sure it necessarily will.

And unless it's in a contract of some sort (and possibly even then), the second MLG goes and Sayers steps in, he can do what he likes to Teague.

As long as a majority of the board agrees ,yes.

The Return of the Paf

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
It's funny how the 'retains' and the 'undecided' options have made a small surge since the outgoing president implied that Teague was safe. I thought this was supposed to be an 'opinion' poll.

TwiggleyFanClub

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
It's funny how the 'retains' and the 'undecided' options have made a small surge since the outgoing president implied that Teague was safe. I thought this was supposed to be an 'opinion' poll.

"The coach is safe" is to take a bit of pressure off, that's all.
If Harry and others decide that it's either Teague or them, then Teague will be gone.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
Counter to that could be that if you are a good quality assistant, surely you have ambitions to be a head coach one day? Wouldn't any uncertainty around Teague be a potential foot in the door for your own ambitions? Not necessarily that they are looking to undermine him and take over, but it gives you a potential opening.

Feb 5, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
cranky crikeys
The next coach that brings us a flag (in 2033 at this rate) will be the biggest messiah that's ever walked the earth.
That aside. the players just have to lift. The players did it for hardwick at the tigers. What's the difference?. I'd like to know.
And Everyone scoffing at the idea of lyons or M. williams etc would switch so fast if things looked up. And god forbid if we do change tact in the coaching stakes and the same problems arise. The list is solid. But watching Doc continually fluff marks and defenders crashing into each other tells me everything I need to know. It's between the ears. We have a player on every line that we can build a ripper side around. Starting with Harry, Walsh and weeto. and the tier below that is close in quality. Now didn't the players want Teague?, warm to him?,ready to crash and burn for him?. Well? And When Teague was getting ready to sign on most media boffins were gushing over our list. "We're cherry ripe, loaded up etc etc". ready to rock blah blah blah

PLayers need to reassess, reset and come back with a new attitude after the bye otherwise it's gonna so ugly.

Gavstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back