Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

forever blue 1

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Since last years bye to now we have 2 games last year and 4 games this year and in those ins it includes the Gold Coast twice ,

him and his coaching dept out of their depth

clean slate ASAP you can’t trust him with this group going forward and he is mentally shot already
Here’s a thought (which may have already been mentioned - shoot me)
Maybe the core players love Teague is that they know they can get away with more mediocre results and thus it’s a good time.
I voted unsure for the record, but these are my thoughts.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Here’s a thought (which may have already been mentioned - shoot me)
Maybe the core players love Teague is that they know they can get away with more mediocre results and thus it’s a good time.
I voted unsure for the record, but these are my thoughts.

It’s bizarre that Teague would be so loyal to them, it’s not like their premiership legends or anything, or even been involved in a remotely successful period at the club.

Club hasn’t won more than 7 games in a season since 2013, no one should be given an easy ride or free pass.

I'm inclined to back Teague in. We can't just keep sacking coaches. We have to get strong voices around him though, and player development and selection integrity have to be a major focus.

forever blue 1

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
It’s bizarre that Teague would be so loyal to them, it’s not like their premiership legends or anything, or even been involved in a remotely successful period at the club.

Club hasn’t won more than 7 games in a season since 2013, no one should be given an easy ride or free pass.
I just read that 7 in a season and cried :/

Until proven otherwise, I'm of the opinion the review is just more Carlton smoke and mirrors for the members and media.
Carlton have become very good at it.

Proof of change, would be positive change to game structures and winning (not just against bottom 8 opposition)
Really am hopeful we see some sustained change..

Well here's to more continued years of dwelling at the bottom, underutilising the talent we have.
Without September finals, at least we can all look forward to October trade week.

It's sad, I find myself more excited around trade week than I do, for actually watching Carlton Play..

Hands On

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
If your car lets you down you may service it, change a part etc.and try to prolong its life span, Once the engine goes you have a big decision. Recondition it with various add on's or bite the bullet and buy a new car. Our club has let us down so many times its a joke. It is beyond the human element and personalities' We need to wipe the slate clean and not worry. just changing a spark plug or to and expect it to beat a Hyundai.

RedFury

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Geez...
This club, lost for words and a care factor anymore...

Updated previous post with this one

Talk about putting words into our mouth - comprehension clearly isn't the writers strong point.

Nowhere in those quotes is Teague's job guaranteed for 2022.

Sensationalist rubbish - and exactly the type of crap that the media bring back around as a "contradiction" or "going back on our word" if we do end up letting Teague go, when we never actually said what they are claiming in the first place.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
I'm inclined to stick with Teague, I think he needs the chance to get things right. Been plenty of coaches who have made mistakes and have had to turn things around to become very successful. Richmond have stuck with their coach while losing and Longmire has admitted he had tried things that didn't work and had to go back to what he knows.

Teague may have had an idea of an attacking and lose game style that has not worked and if he's any good will deal with the reality and go back to what he knows works in footy.

BUT... we need to see improvement by the end of the season. Carlton can not finish this season as a defensive basketcase. IMO if that happens then we probably should move on.

macky99

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm inclined to back Teague in. We can't just keep sacking coaches. We have to get strong voices around him though, and player development and selection integrity have to be a major focus.
Most coaches select their support staff they wish to have around them, so surely Teague must take a degree of responsibility for the current group.

l don't think because we have let other coaches go is a sound reason to stick with Teague going forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gunslingr

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
If your car lets you down you may service it, change a part etc.and try to prolong its life span, Once the engine goes you have a big decision. Recondition it with various add on's or bite the bullet and buy a new car. Our club has let us down so many times its a joke. It is beyond the human element and personalities' We need to wipe the slate clean and not worry. just changing a spark plug or to and expect it to beat a Hyundai.

This analogy seems to come very close to suggesting Carlton (the car, right?) is disposed of and replaced by a new team (a Tasmanian car?)

GoBlues!

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm inclined to stick with Teague, I think he needs the chance to get things right. Been plenty of coaches who have made mistakes and have had to turn things around to become very successful. Richmond have stuck with their coach while losing and Longmire has admitted he had tried things that didn't work and had to go back to what he knows.

Teague may have had an idea of an attacking and lose game style that has not worked and if he's any good will deal with the reality and go back to what he knows works in footy.

BUT... we need to see improvement by the end of the season. Carlton can not finish this season as a defensive basketcase. IMO if that happens then we probably should move on.
Also been plenty of coaches who have made mistakes and haven't turned things around, or only made marginal gains.

If there's a better coach out there with runs on the board, we should do whatever we can to secure them.

Saw on Fox tonight that Clarkson had ruled himself out for the Collingwood job but he just seemed to say he had a contract next year at Hawthorn. Seems a bit of a vague ruling out.

Have to think Ross Lyon would be in the box seat which begs the question who are the experienced proven coaches we could be looking at ?

Hands On

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
This analogy seems to come very close to suggesting Carlton (the car, right?) is disposed of and replaced by a new team (a Tasmanian car?)
Hahaha. Not at that stage yet. Tasmanian Cars are for Norf. We want to be a Hyundai reliable on the improve with a seven year Warranty,

Talk about putting words into our mouth - comprehension clearly isn't the writers strong point.

Nowhere in those quotes is Teague's job guaranteed for 2022.

Sensationalist rubbish - and exactly the type of crap that the media bring back around as a "contradiction" or "going back on our word" if we do end up letting Teague go, when we never actually said what they are claiming in the first place.

I'm amazed that people get sucked in by this kind of garbage and actually give it any credence.

no fate

Team Captain
Mar 26, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Why would club announce a full independent review of the football department if the outcomes are pre-determined? Don't forget, this auditing stuff is the business of PWC where Sayers is from. Surely he'll want to do this properly.

Here are some areas I think the review will be rating Teague on, in a business sense these would be his performance objectives:
1) Leadership of the players
2) Leadership of the coaching team
3) Building a strong culture
4) On field performance
5) Game plan/tactics
6) Team selection
7) Player development
8) Adaptability/willingness to change
9) Strategic/long term thinking
10) Media/public persona

At the moment it can be seen from the outside that 4, 5, 6, 7 are failing to meet the expected standard. Poor results, failing game plan, seemingly non-meritocratic team selection, young players stagnating. 8 and 10 also don't look like strengths for Teague. So to stay he'll have to score highly elsewhere (needs players and coaches to back him on 1 and 2), do a U turn on 8, and sell himself heavily on 3 and 9.

Personally unless the on field results turn and there's a strong showing of internal support, I reckon he's gone. Lloyd won't be able to save him, he'll be worried about his own job, and I reckon Liddle will probably be smart enough not to wade in either.

Anyway let's see what unfolds. Anything can happen, and usually does, it's Carlton. Whatever the end result, it needs to be the right step forward for the club. A new football department that can bring us 17!

MacReady

Senior List
Jul 20, 2007
Princes Park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New York Giants. Knicks.
I wish I could vote for Teague to stay in, but I voted to get rid of him. Whilst Ross Lyon is out in the wild I'd do almost anything to snap him up. He's tough and uncompromising which would straighten up a few players on our list.

Pentatonic Flat Fifth

All Australian
Apr 18, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton

I think Teague is a good coach and also would back him in. My issue with Teague is that he got an initial bum rush and it went to his head - he needed a severe reality check to realise that he doesn't know everything to take a more measured, broader approach.

My view is entirely conjecture - but my concerns have been borne out in my research.

I think if he can take on the criticisms and learn from them while continuing with his great acumen for the game then he will be a a regular finals coach and I think he has a flag or two in him.

Stick Phat - but with some reflection.

macky99

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Why would club announce a full independent review of the football department if the outcomes are pre-determined? Don't forget, this auditing stuff is the business of PWC where Sayers is from. Surely he'll want to do this properly.

Here are some areas I think the review will be rating Teague on, in a business sense these would be his performance objectives:
1) Leadership of the players
2) Leadership of the coaching team
3) Building a strong culture
4) On field performance
5) Game plan/tactics
6) Team selection
7) Player development
8) Adaptability/willingness to change
9) Strategic/long term thinking
10) Media/public persona

At the moment it can be seen from the outside that 4, 5, 6, 7 are failing to meet the expected standard. Poor results, failing game plan, seemingly non-meritocratic team selection, young players stagnating. 8 and 10 also don't look like strengths for Teague. So to stay he'll have to score highly elsewhere (needs players and coaches to back him on 1 and 2), do a U turn on 8, and sell himself heavily on 3 and 9.

Personally unless the on field results turn and there's a strong showing of internal support, I reckon he's gone. Lloyd won't be able to save him, he'll be worried about his own job, and I reckon Liddle will probably be smart enough not to wade in either.

Anyway let's see what unfolds. Anything can happen, and usually does, it's Carlton. Whatever the end result, it needs to be the right step forward for the club. A new football department that can bring us 17!
Good post and hope that the club apply some of this criteria in evaluating if Teague is the right person going forward and as l agree right now he is well below standard in some of the key criteria right now you have listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back