Coach Teague in or out?

Teague in or out?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This just about sums it up.
I feel for the guy, but then again, it's a brutal industry.
View attachment 1186243

I agree its a tough gig consider most of the public will scrutinise every aspect of your failures and forget any of your successes. But at some point there needs to be the self awareness to acknowledge things are not working and try something different.

Pick any industry and level of management, the new guy/ girl will try something new and what happens if the staff don't resonate with the new style? Do you just continue without making adjustments? No, you find out where the faults are and work on them. I'm not saying the playing group has lost faith in Teague but at some point he needs to realize something is clearly not working. The game plan is haphazard and not suitable in 2021 and there is s clear lack of preparation and tactical smarts amongst the coaching group.

What do all wooden spoon teams over the past 20years have in common? They will ALWAYS look for the corridor option and take the game on. Most often they are young teams who will look for the most attacking option. Anyone who has followed footy this season can see that's the Kangaroos method this season. But the coaching team didn't pay any time or respect into coaching against this. I genuinely wonder what the coaching teams does as preparation during the week..

Sorry for the essay, just really disappointed with yesterdays loss.

Stay safe Baggers'

Who are his assistants … who is his right hand man? That is exactly my point. John Barker spent 5 years too longer at the club than he should have. The other assistants are not up to it. Again not setup for success! Sack the coach, it will def fix the problem.

Don’t get me wrong Teague probably has to go now, we have destroyed him!

And Teague wanted to keep them. He has to accept at least part of the blame for the assistants.

I've been on losing faith in Teague for the last 2 months. I was a fan and was happy for him to finish the season, but he's lost me.

Was fantastic to see Dow, SPS, and Kennedy played in the middle - about 2 months too late, TBH.

But the fundamentals of our game plan haven't changed and don't work - at least not for our list.

We are still standing off of the ball carrier and letting them take their time to access their options or simply take the easy option and go backwards. We need to be attacking and putting pressure on the ball carrier, forcing them to make a mistake or spam it onto the boot.. similar to what happens to us.

Our midfielders need to push back into defence to help out our defence. This also allows them to push back up the ground once we have the ball to provide run from behind.

Our forward structure relies on kick it to H, even when he's out numbered. No issue with kicking it long to him as a bail out when so play or isolating the ball from our opposition, but forwards need to be on the move and create space - not jogging leads where the defender knows there's no possibility it will get honoured.

Selection and opponent matchups is pathetic. All year we are constantly pondering how X and Y get a game, only to see them join the handful of players being played out of position. This weekend we needed a key forward, why not play Jones up forward all game and bring in Parks or Kemp? Would have been handy to move another defender into Larkey on the weekend, wouldn't of it?

Teague is obviously sticking to his guns but it simply isn't working. Good coaches will adapt their strategies to suit the meta of football and other dynamics such as injuries, form, rules etc. Teague is either stubborn or just not capable.

Either way, he is quickly - or has already - run out of time.

I lack the skills to judge a senior coach properly.

Though having been around David Teague as both a player and coach, he is a thoroughly decent human being. This doesn't mean he keeps his job - but when he goes I hope it is done with compassion and respect.

The bloke has carried a lot personally the last 12 months. He is mentally very strong to still be going.

We should remember him as someone who gave 100% for the CFC

I lack the skills to judge a senior coach properly.

Though having been around David Teague as both a player and coach, he is a thoroughly decent human being. This doesn't mean he keeps his job - but when he goes I hope it is done with compassion and respect.

The bloke has carried a lot personally the last 12 months. He is mentally very strong to still be going.

We should remember him as someone who gave 100% for the CFC

He has to go just doesn't have the set up/plan of a great coach.
Seems he can't get them to lift when needed not ruthless enough either appears too nice.
I think it'll do him good to get away from footy and refresh have some time with his family and be an assistant/line coach somewhere else in the future.
Courageous player,B&F winner hopefully they treat him good on his departure but must be shown door at end of the year. Unfortunately nice guys do finish last (13th).

100% agree the industry has changed. But 6 coaches in 20 years. It’s the new Carlton way when things get too hard.

We need to become the best organisation, we need to become the best footy department. We need to set people up for success.

Yet we will continue to sack coaches and throw big dollars at average players. Guess who is pulling those strings. The new Carlton way! Quick fixes are taking us no where other than 20 years of more misery!
Better to revert to norm if the current coach has no idea. Sticking fat for another 5 years isn't going to make Teague improve drastically with us

Looking forward to an end of the over the top responses to a bad loss chaps. Teaguey isn't the biggest problem at Carlton - and no three stooges stating the bleeding obvious are going to fix anything anyway.

Cheer up everyone - we aren't as bad as most think and were never as good as most wanted - stuick in middling status until we get some decent players back and some continuity in the game. Middling is middling - one or two positions up or down means nothing.

I reckon CEO will be told to pull his head in.
I reckon Llyod will be lucky to survive and probably will - unless there is a change in coach - meaning Lyon.
and Lyon wont get the gig - unless they can demomnstrate that he will bring in a whole coaching team with him and unless his is guaranteed that Liddle just pizzes orf and stays away and that he gets the call on list management as well.
Some change up in assistants probably well overdue and IF there was a decent Neil Craig type avaiulable to sit next to Teaguey and get him to balance out his game plan that would be nice as well.

Stop whining like a bunch of babies and harden up - show some mongrel positivity - all of youz doomsday merchants. :thumbsu:

Coaching changes by all teams over the past 20 years (I've excluded the most recent expansion teams as they haven't completed 20 years).

Adelaide -6
Brisbane -4
Carlton - 6
Collingwood -2
Essendon - 7
Fremantle - 6
Geelong - 2
Hawthorn - 2
Melbourne - 6
North - 5
Port - 3
Richmond - 3
St. Kilda - 6
Sydney - 3
West Coast - 3
Western Bulldogs - 5

Coaching changes by teams who have won premierships in that time:

Brisbane - `4
Collingwood - 2
Geelong - 2
Hawthorn - 2
Port - 3
Richmond - 3
Sydney - 3
West Coast - 3
Bulldogs - 5

I guess you can take out of this whatever you like but what it says to me is with the exception of the Bulldogs who pinched a premiership the most successful clubs are those who have stability in their head coaching position.

The most disappointing thing to me is that we don't have the strength to back a coach in the face of external noise. We won't be a serious football club until we're capable of that.

Don't be surprised if you don't see an instant improvement next year regardless of who is coaching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teague seems a good bloke and I know some feel sorry for him but I don't think he is the coach to get us to be a consistently competitive footy team and play finals. His game plan has huge holes in it and we have enough evidence of that this season to make a call. I vote to move him on
I think that’s a little unfair. Teague does have a game plan, just has no idea of plan b or c when plan A isn’t working and appears to have nfi. But hey, seems like he has lost the players anyways so…

Coaching changes by all teams over the past 20 years (I've excluded the most recent expansion teams as they haven't completed 20 years).

Adelaide -6
Brisbane -4
Carlton - 6
Collingwood -2
Essendon - 7
Fremantle - 6
Geelong - 2
Hawthorn - 2
Melbourne - 6
North - 5
Port - 3
Richmond - 3
St. Kilda - 6
Sydney - 3
West Coast - 3
Western Bulldogs - 5

Coaching changes by teams who have won premierships in that time:

Brisbane - `4
Collingwood - 2
Geelong - 2
Hawthorn - 2
Port - 3
Richmond - 3
Sydney - 3
West Coast - 3
Bulldogs - 5

I guess you can take out of this whatever you like but what it says to me is with the exception of the Bulldogs who pinched a premiership the most successful clubs are those who have stability in their head coaching position.

The most disappointing thing to me is that we don't have the strength to back a coach in the face of external noise. We won't be a serious football club until we're capable of that.

Don't be surprised if you don't see an instant improvement next year regardless of who is coaching.
Numbers can be very deceiving

Numbers can be very deceiving

where's the deceit in any of that? I mean, I'm seeing what I see, what do you see?
Are you seeing anything that says continually changing coaches brings great success?

where's the deceit in any of that? I mean, I'm seeing what I see, what do you see?
Are you seeing anything that says continually changing coaches brings great success?
I’m saying numbe, like stats with players can made look good and bad, yet it’s not the true story.

I’m saying numbe, like stats with players can made look good and bad, yet it’s not the true story.

Of course, they can be manipulated but they are very raw figures that just say to me what we all should know, you need stability. Of course, you also need the right people but jettisoning them every two years means you never know whether it's the right person or not.

Sometimes sackings have to occur, stop the player/s tail wagging dog. Cut dead eoof
Trade etcetera, start. Let players know who’s boss

as it is in business. If you employ people that understand your business much better than you do in a time of crisis, more often than not, you will be disappointed. I'm not, and don't want to bash sticks, a great servant of the club, but when you tell an inexperienced coach, "what ever you need, i'll get" it empowers a person with little oversight to make irreparable, unchecked errors, same happened with malthouse, and pagan (to a lesser extent). This is a club that is discontent with following a process, as it is impatient, under pressure, and unsure. It is why the likes of lurking benefactors become a necessity. Almost like outsourcing a cognitively challenged son to an expensive school, but fails to deliver. The failures in the end, are yours, not the child.

If we dont understand the process of finding a coach that is the best fit for our goals with our assets, own it and get in professionals that are, including a psychological assessment. This should be a process for the CEO, Coach and also football manager.

clarko and lyon are both available and i think they'd both prefer carlton for various reasons over collingwood. Its a BIG decision you need to get right, as both these guys will want and demand control, It needs to be in capable hands, as there will be big calls on the list and support. it needs to be right the first time.
Clarko is available?
Next year?
You must have new mail …

Says to me the most successful clubs have a good coaching group so there is no need to turn them over. If it’s not broken why fix it.

He's wasted 2 bloody years! Brought in zero system, zero method in that time! Bolton was too system extreme, so caretaker Teague got wins by releasing the shackles and allowing them to play freely and continued with this MO as full time coach it seems. Now we have some wanting to stick with training wheels Teague as he finally will need to consider to implementing a system of his own design and train the team to accept it. No thanks! Too late for me compadre. You are the weakest link! Goodbye

Dunno what he's doing these days but I think Scott Camporeale would be a great asset returning to the club.
I think a nice mix of bringing some former club champions and others (M Williams, Pyke etc.) with records of experience and success will be great for the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back