Teague on bench was a disgrace

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlos

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2001
Beneath the blue & white
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why the hell was Teague on the bench for the last quarter?!? If he wasnt injured (no mention) then he should have been on the ground. He was close to our best on ground to that point and was easily holding his spot. Marked terrifically and used it intelligently (pretty farking rare in our team these days!!)

Yet Pagan leaves friggin Colbert on the ground, who let us down so many times by being too slow and too dumb to get to the contests, and when he did get the ball let us down even more with garbage disposal. Why does he always take an eternity to dispose and almost never hits a target? Yeah i know he got something like 7 or 8 touches in the last quarter, but where did they go? The guy seems brainless sometimes!

And i know there are a heap of fans of his here, and i'm one of em, but Daniel Harris was an absolute passenger for most of that game today, particularly in the last quarter. Shirked the issue plenty of times, didnt want the hard ball, didnt support his mates who did want it and ran forward of the play way too much. Looked very short on class and work ethic. Long way to go Harro.

CARLO, WERE U WATCHING THE SAME GAME AS EVERYONE ELSE

in my opinion colbert was fantrastic today , one of the best games he has played for the club , while for harris , everytime he was in the centre he was able to get his hands on it

i know that things are abit emmotional after a loss like that.

i agree that teague was playing really well in the first half... until he made that mistake and got benched. after half time he didn't really have a match up in the back half as his size players seem to have moved more up the ground and he really is lacking in pace. tough but fair call by pagan i thought.

as for colbert, i have been in your camp about him. however, today i thought that he really did play well. i thought his disposal was pretty good today. i saw more misses by harding, stevens, harvey, king.

as for harro i really didn't see it. he looked like he has really good hands and dished the ball out from pack situations to team mates. a good game i thought.

just my opinion though.

Yeah i was at the friggin game.

If i have to read in the papers Denis say "gee i was really pleased with Leigh Colbert" i'll throw up. And i expect all of you to jump to his defence. Its predictable.

One of his best games? Wouldnt be too hard! He does nothing with his disposal, and loses his feet far too often. Yeah he took some ok grabs and got a bit of it, but he is so far short of being a class player it isnt funny. Has no influence and is slow in every way. Has no penetration and is a dumb footballer.

And i like Harro, dont get me wrong. But the number of times i saw him shirk the issue and not go in hard when the ball was in dispute was a big concern. He ran outside of the packs when he should have been getting inside and making an impact and didnt work hard enough, while the likes of Simmoa nd Stevo killed themselves getting the hard ball.

Originally posted by theox
CARLO, WERE U WATCHING THE SAME GAME AS EVERYONE ELSE

in my opinion colbert was fantrastic today , one of the best games he has played for the club , while for harris , everytime he was in the centre he was able to get his hands on it

we may lose a few games on this process but i thought colby was everywhere today, as for the youngsters they are getting the taste and experience of senior level football

i thought todays game was great if you take a good look at hardings behinds in the last quarter, at least he was under more preassure than some shots taken by senior players, have a look at d kings shots in recent weeks and today no preassure and he hasnt performed.

grant is still the one i worry about getting predictable when he tries to kick on his left foot even if he has to do a 360 turn to do it

Originally posted by magoo
i know that things are abit emmotional after a loss like that.
Very
Originally posted by magoo

i agree that teague was playing really well in the first half... until he made that mistake and got benched. after half time he didn't really have a match up in the back half as his size players seem to have moved more up the ground and he really is lacking in pace. tough but fair call by pagan i thought.

as for colbert, i have been in your camp about him. however, today i thought that he really did play well. i thought his disposal was pretty good today. i saw more misses by harding, stevens, harvey, king.
How do you justify Colbert on the ground if Teague is considered too slow? Teague was outstanding and made one bad blue. He makes a difference. He's depserate but isnt DUMB about it!!

And i'm not talking about shots for goal. That was atrocious in itself. I'm talking about ground skills and passing etc. For someone who seems to put as much thinking time into every friggin disposal, Colbert fluffs his kicks too often. They dolly up and give his teamates little chance, and their opponents every chance to make best position. If he could learn to move it quickly and accurately, he'd be servicable.

Mind you, he has a lot of mates in our team at the moment!!

Originally posted by magoo as for harro i really didn't see it. he looked like he has really good hands and dished the ball out from pack situations to team mates. a good game i thought.
I'm not doubting his skills. Yes his hands are terrific and he seems to think it out which is refreshing. His kicking is ok, lacking a little penetration. But i'm referring to his work ethic. I was sitting at the punt road end in the Southern Stand near the 50 arc, and i saw him shirk packs numerous times around that side in the last qtr. He could have really had an influence but didnt work hard enough.

Do u think it was a coincidence that the Roos best footy was played when Harris was on!
He had about 7 or 8 possies in the second quarter and was then benched. Although he rushed his possies on occassions, his kicking left guys like Stevo, Simpson and Grant for dead.
He should be a permanent fixture in the centre square.
If only Digby had left that ball to him with a minute remaining ...

Originally posted by Moti.com
Do u think it was a coincidence that the Roos best footy was played when Harris was on!
He had about 7 or 8 possies in the second quarter and was then benched. Although he rushed his possies on occassions, his kicking left guys like Stevo, Simpson and Grant for dead.
He should be a permanent fixture in the centre square.
If only Digby had left that ball to him with a minute remaining ...
Mate i'm repeating myself here, but i'm not disputing his skills. And it wouldnt be hard leaving Stevo and Simmo for dead regarding kicking skills!!

It was his work ethic and lack of commitment at times today that worried me. His body language at times was also a little but petulant.

He will be a player, no doubt. But he still has a long way to go before he can bridge that gap between dominating a VFL game and making a significant contribution at AFL level.

i cant believe this turns into a colbert thing....once again. he was brilliant today. where were stevo and harvs when the heat was on?

i raised this point last week but nothing came of it....our disposal is shocking, stevo and simmo are our worst offenders......

Comon If you want to bag Colbert you should be bagging David King first, missed 2 shots at goal in the first 1/4 as mighty mick pointed out and never seems to pick up his man and Colberts kicks were much more better than David King's kicks.

IMO Leigh Colbert has had a better year than David King. Back to the magoos for you Mr David King.

BTW I liked what you said mighty mick.

morph i agree 100% king has been very ordinary this year. he has been saved from nearly every bullet fired this year.

Originally posted by pastie37
i cant believe this turns into a colbert thing....once again. he was brilliant today. where were stevo and harvs when the heat was on?
You're kidding yourself. Brilliant? Brilliance would mean he had a major impact on the outcome of the game. Carey is Brilliant. Hird is Brilliant. Voss is brilliant. They win games. Colbert? If you think he was that today, you're over-rating him like he so often is.

Stevo was at the bottom of every pack and working his guts out. Boomer was running hard and presenting himself.

Out of Colbert's possessions and the contested situations he was involved in, tell me the percentages you think were effective or a victory for him and the influence it had on our performance today? On our structure? On our ability to win the game?

The reason i mentioned him was because Teague was very hardly done by getting dragged when IMO he was clearly more influential (certainly not "brilliant" though) and servicable than Colbert. They are similar types IMO.

i raised this point last week but nothing came of it....our disposal is shocking, stevo and simmo are our worst offenders......

simpson equal best on ground and capttain courageous playing his usual game what games have you been watching i believe this is another of those eras where we may not make the finals but we will weed out the players who wanna stand up and be part of a team/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i would never doubt the commitment of stevo or simmo. reading back what i have written i realise it all sounds negative, this is just emotion talking....i am gutted by today. i just wish our blokes had some composure to pick targets. watching us today i cant get over the amount of times we panic and just throw it on the boot...

Wasn't Stevo picking up 2 men (David Kings oppenents maybe :confused:) each time i saw Stevo he was either in and under the packs getting the hard ball or chasing someone else's opponent.

I'll admit Stevo & Simmo have poor disposal but to say they are worse offenders is ridiculous, I'll put David King a head of them anytime. And how many times are those 2 under pressure, just about all the time compare to some.

i agree morpheus, please dont think i'm baggin stevo or simmo, b ehind arch they are my 2 faves. i just wish they would look before they kick.

the most frustrating thing about today is that melbourne think they are better than us!

the most frustrating thing about today is that melbourne think they are better than us!
Agree! How much does that bite? As much as they looked skillful and well drilled, they are as soft as Nanna's fun bags and didnt deserve it! And their supporters are just the dorkiest bunch of drongos!! (although soem of their chicks are not bad!!) Gees that hurts!!

And i've never noticed it before, but hwo wrapped would you be singing a song about 2 colours? No mention whatsoever about Melbourne or the Demons. Just the red and blue! (alrite, now i'm getting petty.. but i'm cut!!)

Originally posted by Carlos
And i've never noticed it before, but how wrapped would you be singing a song about 2 colours? No mention whatsoever about Melbourne or the Demons. Just the red and blue! (alrite, now i'm getting petty.. but i'm cut!!)

Nah, I see it as a song about their devotion to their flag. Slap me if you want, but I think its a far better song than ours. We also sing Beneath the Blue & White we stand. (Who are we? Yoda?)

Originally posted by 35eye

Nah, I see it as a song about their devotion to their flag. Slap me if you want, but I think its a far better song than ours. We also sing Beneath the Blue & White we stand. (Who are we? Yoda?)
I think your reserve seats are just behind mine at Colonial so i might take you up on that offer!!

Only kidding. :D

Its a catchy tune but sounds dicky IMO as they dont mention their club.

Our song is the best and i wont have another word about it!

And Yoda we are not!!

i agree morpheus, please dont think i'm baggin stevo or simmo, b ehind arch they are my 2 faves. i just wish they would look before they kick.

I wish they looked before they kick too.

How about Boomers effort in the final 1/4 where he ran in on the boundry and had a pin at goal when if he looked up he would saw Clayton at the top of the goal square on his own with no near him (within 15 metres).

Melbourne are very soft.

I think your reserve seats are just behind mine at Colonial so i might take you up on that offer!!

Only kidding. :D

Its a catchy tune but sounds dicky IMO as they dont mention their club.

Our song is the best and i wont have another word about it!

And Yoda we are not!!

wasnt our club song tune not lyrics used by victoria when they won interstate games. and at least they never used our club song for the hammerheads

Originally posted by mighty mick

wasnt our club song tune not lyrics used by victoria when they won interstate games. and at least they never used our club song for the hammerheads
Dead right Mighty! It is the Vics song (was it our's first i wonder?)

And farking oath!

As much as they looked skillful and well drilled, they are as soft as Nanna's fun bags and didnt deserve it!

It was a dreadful game 'standard wise' at three quarter time only Adam 'kick it anywhere' Simpson was amongst the top 9 possesion getters.....can't believe King was the 10th !!

I thought Colby tried today.....but like you & I & many others, the effectiveness of his disposals is EXTREMELY POOR and I'd like to say that Trent Hotton of Carlton is on the same level.
We pay our guy far toooooooooo much for ssooooo littl' result.
Carlton probably give Hotton a few bob and he plays like two bob!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back