TEAL appreciation thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A very small minuscule portion if the membership want the prison bars back. Live in the past. Move on.

Even the club survey which was worded heavily in favour of keeping the BiB saw 40% of the fan base want the bars.

To suggest that there is minuscule support is laughable.

[i posted this in the Let's Talk Ports thread but felt it had some value here]

If under 30s don’t see value in history and heritage, why do we use it so much in our marketing?

If history and heritage weren’t relevant, we wouldn’t be in the AFL.
It was our records in the SANFL that got us here.

Our club is where it’s always been and our AFL logo includes a component that references the wharf pylon guernsey design.
It's been there from the start of this journey.

We have a Fiacchi and a now a Cahill on the board, we have an Ebert on the playing list and a Wanganeen and a Mead as potential father son selections coming up. Alfie still does the boots and Barry still cracks the awful jokes.

Even our haters are all too familiar in name and face, save for some notable exceptions.

This issue runs so much deeper than how often we wear the PBs, or if people like teal or not, it’s about our right to use an iconic symbol of our club’s incredible achievements in a manner that WE choose, not as dictated by others with vested interests.

I’m taking this fight very seriously, because it is fundamental to our being. It’s no longer about "brand", it's about our rights to express our identity. This is about our club, and us as supporters, fighting for this right.

Given the identity crisis that has plagued the club since entering the AFL, this is our chance to say, “enough”.

This is our time to fight.

This IS the hill to die on.

“Should we after striving to our utmost and giving our everything, still not be successful, our efforts will become a further part of this Club's enviable tradition.

We concede that there can be honour in defeat, but to each of us, honourable defeat of our Club and guernsey can come only after human endeavour on the playing field is completely exhausted."

Fos Williams.

Last edited:

Kids sometimes have the best ideas ie unfiltered, basic and to the point.

“It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child.”

It feels super wanky to drop Picasso quotes but there’s definitely something in it.

Still love the bars.
Just a thought though, if some how we were allowed to wear our famous jumper, our nick name Power won't fit. Never really liked it any way.
Why? How does it fit the chevrons better?

We’ve had Power above the Pylons on our badge for a very long time.

“We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.” - TS Elliot

People seem to think that wearing a certain jumper is going to be like Arthur pulling out Excalibur from the stone - that if we start wearing it then suddenly the heavens will open and the spirit of Port Players Past will descend on the club and they will turn into the warriors of yore.

It doesn’t happen that way. It takes time and effort.

I’m all for wearing our iconic jumper for once off commerative tributes, which is why I support the campaign, but that jumper is sacred and should only be worn full time when the club has demonstrated that it has returned to the place where our SANFL journey ended - dominant, feared and respected both on and off field. Anything else is just the echoes of nostalgia. And Port isn’t and never was about nostalgia - it always looked to the next premiership, not the ones that it had won in the past.

We’ve made a courageous first step in weeding out players who don’t share the Port Adelaide ideal. It remains to be seen if the players and coaches who are left are willing to sacrifice enough.

Do that, and then you can start talking about wearing a jumper that symbolises the traditional mentality of Port Adelaide full time. Not before.

Lol at the 'if we don't wear PBs we're being dictated too'

Seriously FFS. We chose not to wear them. It was the cost of AFL entry. We all knew that. It was a price that was worth paying.

I'm well over 30 now, and love that PB Guernsey. I first saw the 88 Premiership, and have since seen many more. But what was more important than all those SANFL years and that PBs Guernsey was the privilege of knowing we wouldn't be left behind as a club like Norwood have been, and leaving that jumper behind for that privilege was worth it and I'd do it every day of the week.

People need to move on.

The PBs are an amazing part of our history and so be respected and remembered as such, and worn on special occassions as they are now.

“We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.” - TS Elliot

People seem to think that wearing a certain jumper is going to be like Arthur pulling out Excalibur from the stone - that if we start wearing it then suddenly the heavens will open and the spirit of Port Players Past will descend on the club and they will turn into the warriors of yore.

I’m all for wearing our iconic jumper for once off commerative tributes, which is why I support the campaign, but that jumper is sacred and should only be worn full time when the club has demonstrated that it has returned to the place where our SANFL journey ended - dominant, feared and respected both on and off field. Anything else is just the echoes of nostalgia. And Port isn’t and never was about nostalgia - it always looked to the next premiership, not the ones that it had won in the past.

We’ve made a courageous first step in weeding out players who don’t share the Port Adelaide ideal. It remains to be seen if the players and coaches who are left are willing to sacrifice enough.

Do that, and then you can start talking about wearing a jumper that symbolises the traditional mentality of Port Adelaide full time. Not before.
Nonsense.

Seriously FFS. We chose not to wear them. It was the cost of AFL entry. We all knew that. It was a price that was worth paying.

I'm well over 30 now, and love that PB Guernsey. I first saw the 88 Premiership, and have since seen many more. But what was more important than all those SANFL years and that PBs Guernsey was the privilege of knowing we wouldn't be left behind as a club like Norwood have been, and leaving that jumper behind for that privilege was worth it and I'd do it every day of the week.

People need to move on.

If you don't see it, that's fine.
Don't ridicule people who do think it's a bigger issue though.
Given your attitude, it will affect you not one iota.

My hunch is you just like to be contrarian. (which is also fine, I tend that way myself at times)

The PBs are an amazing part of our history and so be respected and remembered as such, and worn on special occassions as they are now.

You haven't been paying attention. We cannot wear them for special occasions as and when we choose.

So far we've worn them three times in twenty years.One of those times was a fluke, where we took advantage of the circumstances thrust upon us, rather tellingly because we were told at the last minute that we could not wear our own home guernsey in a home final.

Do you see the bigger picture yet?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People need to move on.

We won’t get kicked out of the AFL if we try to get our jumper back. Only having massive debts will do that.

I never got to see us win a flag in the Prison Bars. The closest I’ve seen was us losing by under a kick in 2 SANFL grand finals in ‘14 and ‘17 as well as the elim final win at AFL level in 2014 which was one of the best days of my life as a Port fan.

I saw the 2004 flag but I was like 9 years old, and couldn’t fully appreciate it. I had no idea of what the club went through to get to that spot until years after.

As an adult that’s read up on our history, I reckon 2 very significant dates are yet to come. Getting the Prison Bars back full time and then one day winning an AFL flag in that jumper.

The former would fill a hole inside many Port fans, the latter for me would just about be the ultimate experience that could never be topped.

This is nonsense, we don't have to qualify to wear our own guernsey. In any case, dress for the job you want, not the job you have. What a person wears can have a huge impact on their confidence and psychological state.

People need to move on.

I agree with everything you've posted here until "people need to move on".

It was a sacrifice every one of us would make again without blinking, but 20 years have passed and we're now negotiating from a much stronger position. We sacrificed them because we were negotiating from a weak position, now we're a strong, stable medium to large AFL club who can turn this around if we push hard enough.

We're pretty lucky, we've got 2 terrific jumpers.
For me the bottom line is this...........

When you see the prison bars, in any colour, everyone thinks they copied the Port Adelaide jumper.

When you see the V jumper in any other colour you don't.

Every single time I see a PAFC side with the PB's it just makes me feel proud, I absolutely love it.

I firmly believe it will eventually happen so why not now when the majority of the supporter base needs it the most.

I believe it is important to know where we have been to know where we are going. I do not know the answers to us getting broader appeal so that we can do things like attracting sponsors willing to pay large amounts to be associated with us. I just think that we need to be careful not to hold onto the past to the detriment of our future. If the PBs are our future, fine. But us fxxxxking around with our guernsey expecting that to be some magical representation of why we exist while the ship is sinking just does not make sense to me. Just smacks to me of us being lost souls, being indecisive, lacking direction, not knowing why we exist, being divided and lacking influence.

When you see the prison bars, in any colour, everyone thinks they copied the Port Adelaide jumper.

Every single time I see a PAFC side with the PB's it just makes me feel proud, I absolutely love it.

I firmly believe it will eventually happen so why not now when the majority of the supporter base needs it the most.
I’ve got the message.

I’ve got the message.

Fake news. False. Wrong. Only 40 percent indicated they wanted it in the survey. That is not most.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back