List Mgmt. Team 2014 (out: BJ, DJ, AD, AK, JR, DT, HS, JP, CG; in: JW, Adams, PK, Armstr, 6, 10, 67, Dwyer, Ox)

Remove this Banner Ad

What does he bring?

Genuine intensity and fantastic 2nd efforts. Intensity is what won us the flag in 2010. With Daisy and Shaw gone and Maxwell and Ball on the decline, Goldsack, Blair and Marley set our intensity tone, despite their limitations and my disappointment in Blair and Goldy's lack of improvement, they're important.

That's the only part I would question as he has proven inconsistent with his kicking from the backline, which is why I thought he could be more productive for us as a forward.
Also, love the negating Corrie role comment - choice! :thumbsu:

Is his short kicking actually bad?

Honestly, some people say something and like herpes it spreads around like some tenacious disease. I've never found Goldsack's kicking to merit a tag of being shithouse, long or short.

Someone will undoubtedly pull out some selective footage to validate this claim but I think it's just unbridled nonsense. His kicking is not elite but it's certainly not s**t, I'd say it's middling.

where does this talk that GWS are greedy come from?

Talking to Hine he says GWS have been good to deal with and they have been really busy lately which is why this deal hasn't been done yet and the deal will be done soon
Blaze buddy don't be so serious and take posts out of context as i stated unless!
I just said they should do a swap for swap now so it is simple to understand unless you read things with a negative frame of mind cos i don't.
So fair call would be your not in the trade room, Hine or any afl recruiter wouldn't be stupid enough to bag anther club they are trying to trade with on radio for the whole world to hear. We wouldn't know if GWS are good to trade with cos there has not been a trade with them yet after 2 weeks.
PS, don't read my post the wrong way ok :)

Honestly, some people say something and like herpes it spreads around like some tenacious disease. I've never found Goldsack's kicking to merit a tag of being shithouse, long or short.

Someone will undoubtedly pull out some selective footage to validate this claim but I think it's just unbridled nonsense. His kicking is not elite but it's certainly not s**t, I'd say it's middling.

His decision making used to cause a lot of turnovers, but he's always been an ok kick.

Well, I try to avoid spreading diseases whenever I can, Spicy. :)
I didn't say his kicking is s**t at all - just inconsistent. He's far from on his own in our backline on that score, so I don't mean to single him out, but we will certainly need overall improvement in kicking quality out of the back half if we're to rise back up the ladder. So on that score, I'd rather see Goldy fighting for a lead-up forward position where I think he has shown his best potential to contribute.

I think you'd struggle to get pick 30 for goldsack, will be 27 soon and has never really cemented his position in the team outside of a good year in 2011? or around there for memory. Disappointing in 2013 and I don't see him going anywhere over the next few years, just lacks something. Is an okay 3rd defender, an okay 3rd forward but lacks skill and regularly fumbles at important times
Agree. I struggle to see him getting a regular game unless our talls are struck down by injury.

Did you see much of Broomhead this year, and if so, what did you think? [I didn't]
Went to Casey Field where we got smashed by Melbournes reserves and saw him live, just so happens Broomhead starred. He had a great patch for a month. Really nice mover in traffic and will be one of those guys you can tell will play well in finals when the pressure and ball movement is quicker. Rate him.
Hopefully he put on a few more kilos which will probably come naturally with age.

Prestia? Haven't checked stats, but he is pretty short and picked pretty early.

When was the last time a sub 175 kid got drafted top 10?

Technically the correct answer would be 2004 Eddie Betts, 173cm, taken pick 3
Prestia is listed as 175cm so getting picky is not sub 175 but was 9th in 2010
Devon Smith 174cm taken at 14 in 2011 the only other one close.
Only had a look at players currently on an AFL list.

Technically the correct answer would be 2004 Eddie Betts, 173cm, taken pick 3
Prestia is listed as 175cm so getting picky is not sub 175 but was 9th in 2010
Devon Smith 174cm taken at 14 in 2011 the only other one close.
Only had a look at players currently on an AFL list.
Betts at pick 3??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS should do a swap for swap with us now after this new deal, unless they are still greedy after this new player poach. After getting the ruck they wanted, shaw to choose them as the bp/hbf they wanted and now this first round pick small fwd-mid who is 21 http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...iants-as-pies-snare-white-20131021-2vx6p.html
ps, ill call it Adams joins pies today as my nephew just spewd baby milk on my new orange ktm so it's a sign ;-)
Why should GWS do us any favours?

Perhaps they think we are being 'greedy'

The recruitment of Adams see's us very well established at inside mid. Beams, Ball, Pendlebury and Adams. I think it will allow us to play Swan outside or forward more often.

Jesse White was also a clever recruitment, although I don't think he will be a world beater. I think we will retain Reid up forward and play White as a third tall forward who has license to roam up the ground and provide a link up option. And then pinch hit for Grundy in the ruck.

I think this will see Lynch playing the same role but in the two's. The onus will be on him working into good enough form to break into the seniors. That's a good position to be in.

Now we have some early picks to really provide a foundation for the years to come. I will be interested in where the club rates Broomhead, Ramsay, Oxley and Seedsman. I think it may effect the picks we make. Those guys are outside creative players but haven't established themselves yet. I think we need more outside ability and creativity but maybe the club thinks we already have that.

The big list need we have is a key position forward. Outside Cloke and Paine we don't have a lot on offer. Lynch and White could at a pinch but I don't think either are suited to being the main target. Considering the length of time they take to develop I would not be surprised if this is high on our agenda. Whether there are any key forwards we rate this year is another question, but if there is I expect we will pull the trigger.

The big list need we have is a key position forward. Outside Cloke and Paine we don't have a lot on offer. Lynch and White could at a pinch but I don't think either are suited to being the main target. Considering the length of time they take to develop I would not be surprised if this is high on our agenda. Whether there are any key forwards we rate this year is another question, but if there is I expect we will pull the trigger.

We could have a lot of rookie spots open, is there any key forwards you would be interested at making a rookie?

Seems the logical step to target that KPF in the 2014 draft where there is so much quality there, many take a punt this year and hope to get a Tom Lee type but taller

We could have a lot of rookie spots open, is there any key forwards you would be interested at making a rookie?

Seems the logical step to target that KPF in the 2014 draft where there is so much quality there, many take a punt this year and hope to get a Tom Lee type but taller

I don't like the odds picking up key forwards as rookies. History has shown it hasn't worked out well for us. It may be a strong year for forwards next year but at the end of the day we only need one that we rate from this years crop. Whether we do rate any I don't know but I would trust Hine and Rendell to make the correct call with a high pick.

how bout this for a lineup

FB: Keeffe Brown Williams
HB: Toovey Reid Seedsman
C: Sidebottom Ball Adams
HF: Beams White Fasolo
FF: Elliot Cloke Thomas
Followers: Grundy Swan Pendlebury

I: O'Brien Goldsack Young Broomhead Dwyer Blair Macaffer

Thats with an extended bench. Blokes missing: Sinclair, Ramsay (I like him), Oxley, Maxwell (cya mate), Martin, Kennedy (maybe by finals he could feature), Mooney, Witts (will be good c. 2016), Lynch

AND I think we would be very likely for at least one of our top 2 picks to be regulars next season, especially considering they will most likely not be KPPs.

Damn that's a good lineup - and the depth is very good. By my count we have 32+ players who can rely on to contribute and that's after we've just offloaded 6 veterans (not incl. Russell). With our picks and rookie draft we should have minimum another 2-3 blokes who can slot in when required. In a year or 2 expect that figure to jump comfortably over 35

GUNS:
Pendlebury, Swan, Reid, Cloke, Sidebottom, Ball, Beams

GOOD (given another year development):
Elliot, O'Brien, Grundy, Williams, Seedsman, Thomas, Adams (?)

AVERAGE:
Toovey, Fasolo (could be better), Young, Dwyer, Broomhead (?), Brown

BELOW AVERAGE:
Macaffer*, Goldsack*, White*, Blair

*role players

IMPROVERS:
Elliot - minimum good with potential for elite small forward in the next few years
Grundy - could be an elite ruckman, maybe one of the best
Williams - I expect to be somewhere between decent-very good
Thomas - could be a great player, I imagine he'll settle as a good-very good player
Seedsman - could be a fantastic player, between decent and elite (his attitude is hard to read)
Adams - could be elite, probably will be very good
Fasolo - I have big wraps on him, could be a really good future burst midfielder
Broomhead - I love both his attitude and what he was able to do this year, good-elite
Ramsay - I love his attitude, I hope he makes it, probably a decent lock down defender
Oxley - I like him, doubt he will make it but you never know
Witts - I think 60-40, if he does make it I imagine he would be pretty good, in the Hale, Hampson mould

I was comparing our two best small FWD'S and added some more players being mostly first year players.
Fasolo, Games 40 Goals 45
Elliott, Games 35 Goals 36
kennedy, Games 12 Goals 9 was a sub a few games
Witts, Games 7 Goals 5
Grundy, Games 7 Goals 1
Thomas, Games 19 Goals 11
Dwyer, Games 21 Goals 15
Martin, Games 4 Goals 6
Keeffe, Games 22 Goals 6
Seeds, Games 28 Goals 11
Blair, Games 81 Goals 64
Most players have a good strike rate

I don't like the odds picking up key forwards as rookies. History has shown it hasn't worked out well for us. It may be a strong year for forwards next year but at the end of the day we only need one that we rate from this years crop. Whether we do rate any I don't know but I would trust Hine and Rendell to make the correct call with a high pick.

A very interesting point Qnutzie.

It seemed listening to Hine today that you just always choose the best quality, short or tall, or no matter the positional needs. Whoever does best squeezes out the lesser gods. I take statement that with a grain of salt.

But overall I reckon Hine addresses list short-comings in trade week and deals for the best option in the draft.

We certainly need a tall but it's entirely plausible that if one isn't in the pipeline at our natural pick that we use trade week to move up the draft order or trade one in via some manouevres. I reckon our war chest is handsome at the minute which helps.

Dwyer, Hudson, Martin, Frost, Oxley, Yagmoor and Mooney*

Dwyer to be elevated with pick 67

Kelly to be picked up in the rookie draft under father son if no other club picks him in the national

* = International rookie (can add 2 more if we like)

Dwyer would be elevated with 85 or 103.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back