List Mgmt. Team 2014 (out: BJ, DJ, AD, AK, JR, DT, HS, JP, CG; in: JW, Adams, PK, Armstr, 6, 10, 67, Dwyer, Ox)

Remove this Banner Ad

According to The Age we've committed to Armstrong assuming the Swans de-list him.
Considering 7 have gone out, White & Adams have come in and assuming that we get Karnezis, Armstrong plus picks 6 & 10 and Dwyer is upgraded I'm guessing that we won't be upgrading a second rookie.

I realise they play different roles, but I really struggle to relate to the decision of cutting Didak and bringing in a spud of the highest order in Armstrong...

Armstrong looks for all the world a rookie option so if we're cutting Dids we should upgrade Martin and rookie list Armstrong. I know he's coming on the cheap, but it leaves a sour taste in my mouth to move on a club great and waste a list spot on that hack!

Round 1 next year.

B: Reid Keeffe Toovey
HB: Seedsman Brown Williams
CEN: Beams Ball O'Brien
HF: Adams White Sidebottom
FF: Elliott Cloke Fasolo

FOLL: Grundy Pendlebury Swan

BENCH: Thomas Kennedy Blair
SUB: Broomhead

Considering 7 have gone out, White & Adams have come in and assuming that we get Karnezis, Armstrong plus picks 6 & 10 and Dwyer is upgraded I'm guessing that we won't be upgrading a second rookie.
Yes, if we bring in Karnezis & Armstrong then only 1 rookie upgrade to reach our list of 38 senior players.
However we can still have 2 nominated rookies (same last year), which we do not have to decide who until March 2014 (out of Hudson, Frost, Martin, Oxley, Yagmoor or cat B rookie Mooney).
Meaning we can only bring in 1 more rookie this year (Kelly?) & 2 cat B rookies.

The recruitment of Armstrong will restrict us from upgrading 1 more rookie & recruiting 1 more rookie.

I realise they play different roles, but I really struggle to relate to the decision of cutting Didak and bringing in a spud of the highest order in Armstrong...

Armstrong looks for all the world a rookie option so if we're cutting Dids we should upgrade Martin and rookie list Armstrong. I know he's coming on the cheap, but it leaves a sour taste in my mouth to move on a club great and waste a list spot on that hack!

Agree with your logic - the bit about upgrading Martin (or other) rather than recruiting Armstrong. Doesn't make sense to me but with all the things they are doing right I will see how it plays out. (Maybe he will be rookied if eligible).

Maybe they are thinking 12 months ahead. Don't teams have to make at least 3 changes to the list each year? Currently I'd expect end of 2014 to include Maxwell & Lynch (both age & performance based). On the chopping block you've got Paine, Gault, Clarke but in a perfect world they all show something this year. We'd then be going into what's reportedly a strong draft (at least for talls) with a log jam for rookie upgrades (I believe they can only stay on rookie list for two years) with few spots on senior list available. Bringing in an Armstrong for 1 year to add depth may not be terrible.

Not sure why you lot are taking Armstrong off our hands. Would assume it's primarily for depth because he doesn't have much else apart from being a really decent kick. I reckon you would have to find a different role for him other than defense because he can't stick a tackle to save his life unfortunately. He was no where near our best 22 and the fact we were debuting kids like Biggs etc towards the end of last season says a lot. But i hope he turns it around at the Pies assuming the mail reported is correct.

Not sure why you lot are taking Armstrong off our hands. Would assume it's primarily for depth because he doesn't have much else apart from being a really decent kick. I reckon you would have to find a different role for him other than defense because he can't stick a tackle to save his life unfortunately. He was no where near our best 22 and the fact we were debuting kids like Biggs etc towards the end of last season says a lot. But i hope he turns it around at the Pies assuming the mail reported is correct.

Well we need decent kicks here at the pies so maybe we are planning to bring him into the depths of the Westpac Centre, saw his legs off and put them on Travis Cloke.

Agree with your logic - the bit about upgrading Martin (or other) rather than recruiting Armstrong. Doesn't make sense to me but with all the things they are doing right I will see how it plays out. (Maybe he will be rookied if eligible).

Maybe they are thinking 12 months ahead. Don't teams have to make at least 3 changes to the list each year? Currently I'd expect end of 2014 to include Maxwell & Lynch (both age & performance based). On the chopping block you've got Paine, Gault, Clarke but in a perfect world they all show something this year. We'd then be going into what's reportedly a strong draft (at least for talls) with a log jam for rookie upgrades (I believe they can only stay on rookie list for two years) with few spots on senior list available. Bringing in an Armstrong for 1 year to add depth may not be terrible.

We've lost two forward mid options in Krak and Dids. Upgrading Martin and Dwyer replaces the two of them which then allows us the option of taking Armstrong in the rookie draft.

It ultimately comes down to not wanting Armstrong to hold a list spot when we have a top 5 VFL player stuck on the rookie list.

D
Round 1 next year.

B: Reid Keeffe Toovey
HB: Seedsman Brown Williams
CEN: Beams Ball O'Brien
HF: Adams White Sidebottom
FF: Elliott Cloke Fasolo

FOLL: Grundy Pendlebury Swan

BENCH: Thomas Kennedy Blair
SUB: Broomhead

Don't see maybe whoever we may get with pick 6 getting a run straight up? maybe at Kennedy or Blair's expense?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive got the feeling tony armstrong will come to us and get a regular game because of heath shaw leaving who took 90 percent of our kick ins, everyone rates Armstrongs kicking.
Unless we draft Scharenberg and play him as a defender and take our kick ins which i would be fine with

Also good point raised on trade radio before, we have huge salary cap room to play with at the end of next year to target a free agent. The room we've created this year and Dane Swan's 850k contract coming to an end of next season. Exciting times for our list development.

Also good point raised on trade radio before, we have huge salary cap room to play with at the end of next year to target a free agent. The room we've created this year and Dane Swan's 850k contract coming to an end of next season. Exciting times for our list development.

i hope we're already putting out some feelers in the shannon hurn direction.

Is this true?

Swan is not on that much coin....Pendles is our highest paid player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back