Team analysis

Remove this Banner Ad

CHF

Senior List
Dec 21, 2000
Melbourne, VIC
After analysing the team list, I believe the fortunes of season 2001 will depend on 4 players.
We basically have 14 definite quality starters-

01. Carey
02. Stevens
03. King
04. Archer
05. Pickett
06. Harvey
07. Colbert
08. Blakey
09. McKernan
10. Martyn
11. McCartney
12. Grant
13. Simpson
14. Abraham (a bit shakey but in for now)

I believe these next 4 players need to secure a spot in the 18 for the roos to improve this year.

15. ROCCA
16. HARRIS
17. SMITH D.
18. LANGE

Rocca and Lange are desperately required to help out Wayne up forward. Rocca will need to kick 60+ to hold his place and Lange is the most likely "young gun" to improve and secure his spot.
When you analyse the draft, Smith and Harris are effectively the 2nd and 3rd "midfielders" selected. Recent history suggests midfielders selected early are pretty safe bets. Their records suggest they are of mature mind and body, so I'm prepared to say that Stibbard has done his job and we have 2 quality players ready to play seniors.

The newcomers in Olarenshaw, Sinclair and McLaren most likely won't be superstars but can perform significant rolls off the bench as "good ordinary players".

19. Olarenshaw
20. Sinclair
21. McLaren
22. Burton

As a result of Rocca, Lange, Harris and Smith securing spots in the 18, regular (but inadequate) players in Clayton, Makepeace and Motlop will be relegated to emergencies, fighting against young "potentials" for a hanfull of games.

23. Clayton
24. Makepeace
25. Motlop S.
26. Motlop D.
27. Smith L.
28. Jones
29. Rawlings
30. Watt

In summary, the better Rocca, Lange, Harris and Smith perform, the deeper our list will look and the better our team will play.

I'm sure alot of you will disagree, so where do you think our improvement will come from, if any?

Premiers 2001
Blakey, Martyn, Archer
Pickett, McCartney, Colbert
Harvey, Harris, Smith D.
King, Carey, Grant
Lange, Rocca, Abraham
McKernan, Simpson
Stevens
Burton, Sinclair, Olarenshaw, McLaren

P.S. I hate long posts, so apologies to all.

I agree with you, and our lack of depth really is scary, when we rely on two young recruits to be in our best 22. Let's hope we don't have too many injuries.

------------------
Trample the Weak,
Hurdle the Dead.

Cup-Half-Full

We seem to have gone through all this with your other half in "Senior Spots".
Are you two the same or just drink from the same cup?

Recently a "Shinboner" surfaced instead of a "Shinboners".
We are waiting to see a "The visible mullet" instead of an "The invisible mullet"

God only knows who will appear at Easter?

warrior
smile.gif

Cup-Half-Full

We seem to have gone through all this with your other half in "Senior Spots".
Are you two the same or just drink from the same cup?

Recently a "Shinboner" surfaced instead of a "Shinboners".
We are waiting to see a " visible mullet" instead of "The invisible mullet"

God only knows who will appear at Easter?

warrior
smile.gif

When a visible mullet appears we'll know that North is in real trouble. I'm waiting for CHE or Cup-Half-Empty to appear.

Just 2 thoughts re your analysis though which was fairly good - Carey, Rocca and Lange makes for a top heavy forward line and your analysis (like so many others) points to a real weakness in the backline (with no key backmen coming through). Might see the Duck continue to rotate between CHF and CHB.

I was optimistic about this season, but now I feel we have a better chance of winning the Wooden Spoon than the Premiership.

Thank You CHF

Sweetheart, wheres the rope, carving knife and sleeping pills.

DEVO
The depressed Roo

You left out Lasscock who apparently is a very promising type, and I wouldn't have thought it ws that depressing.

Shannon Motlop will play without a shadow of a doubt, and I think the list has a great deal of talent, experience and ability.

Not blind faith, but our bottom half dozen have been questionable every year really, only the passage of time proving it incorrect.

The top of our list is excellent and rest assured, I honestly believe a top four finish is on the cards at worst.

But I would muich rather bag them because it is much more fun.

Cup_Half_Full I hope that you have underestimated Sinclair, injury free I think he will be in 18 and not playing off the bench, of course we will just have to wait and see, just adds to the excitment as far as I am concerned.

[This message has been edited by Daphne (edited 15 January 2001).]

Daphne I note your last post was a minute before midnight.

I trust that you haven`t turned into a "sweet pee".

warrior
smile.gif

Originally posted by Cup_Half_Full:
After analysing the team list, I believe the fortunes of season 2001 will depend on 4 players.
/B]

The fortunes of season 2001 will no doubt depend on the performance of 38 players, not just 4...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back