Team captains and the post-match Press Conference

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bit of a small thing, but something I've thought for a while... Is it time for the team captain to step up and face the media alongside his coach in the post-match press conference?

I've always thought it was a bit weird that only the coach has to do the press conference. I'd love to see the media picking the players brain, particularly after a loss.

I don't even think I've heard Jonas talk and he just captained his team to a one goal loss in a Preliminary Final for Port.

I know a lot of responses are very well orchestrated from the top down, and any media manager worth their weight will prepare them, but anyone who saw The Last Dance would know that the players are the ones we want to hear from.

Bit of a small thing, but something I've thought for a while... Is it time for the team captain to step up and face the media alongside his coach in the post-match press conference?

I've always thought it was a bit weird that only the coach has to do the press conference. I'd love to see the media picking the players brain, particularly after a loss.

I don't even think I've heard Jonas talk and he just captained his team to a one goal loss in a Preliminary Final for Port.

I know a lot of responses are very well orchestrated from the top down, and any media manager worth their weight will prepare them, but anyone who saw The Last Dance would know that the players are the ones we want to hear from.

You're joking right? The players interviews are the most boring s**t around.

As a big NBA and NFL fan, I'd love it but in Australia we seem to hate when our sports stars show personality or their true thoughts, so they would just give out the same tired old cliches they do every week when they speak to the media now.

On SM-G985F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maybe it’s because of the culture around sporting figures in Australia that do speak openly, but footy players are pretty bloody boring. I’ve got no interest in listening to them at press conferences.

The coaches on the other hand are generally very interesting and intelligent people to listen to. Not everyone loves them all, but most of the coaches’ pressers are pretty insightful.

Maybe it’s because of the culture around sporting figures in Australia that do speak openly, but footy players are pretty bloody boring. I’ve got no interest in listening to them at press conferences.

The coaches on the other hand are generally very interesting and intelligent people to listen to. Not everyone loves them all, but most of the coaches’ pressers are pretty insightful.

Why are Australians, athletes or otherwise, so afraid to admit that they're good? It's not arrogant to be proud of your successes and celebrate when you've done well, however it seems like as a culture we're almost ashamed of ourselves when we do well. It's bizarre.

This has already been happening for years, with either captains or other high-profile players (though I assume not for much of 2020, because of protocols and so on). Not every match, but not exactly rare either.

You probably don't know about it because it's never led to a single remotely interesting question or answer.

"we stuck to the structure"
"We knew we had the ability"
"we always had belief"
"we believe in the gameplan"
"You fcukin' beauty! Got away with that, though we were gone"

Pick the odd one out.

In a 2013 Final Buddy said:
"The boys played well and we got the 4 points" then ran back to the team.

They (mostly) dont want to do the interviews and whrn forced to do them talk in cliches.

Coaches are the same.

But if a coach speaks up on something, like the atrocious state of umpiring, they get slammed by the media and punished by the AFL.

Allow them to speak freely or dont bother with the farce.

The post grand final victor interview is the only one all year you get proper responses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back