Team for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Williams Keath Doc
Dale Gardner TOB
Hunter Bont Treloar
VDM English BSmith
Weightman Naughton JUH
Sweet Macrae Dunkley

Daniel Libba RSmith (West/Garcia/Richards)

Round 1, 2022

B T.O’Brien A.Keath T.Duryea
HB B.Williams R.Gardner C.Daniel
C J.Macrae J.Dunkley B.Smith
HF JUH A.Naughton L.Vandermeer
F M.Hannan T.English C.Weightman
FOLL: J.Sweet T.Libreatore M.Bontempelli
INTER: A.Treloar, L.Hunter, B.Williams, J.Johannisen

Emergencies
J.Schache, Z.Cordy, E.Richards, R.Smith,
T.McLean, R.West, S.Martin, H.Crozier,
L.McNeil, M.Wallis, R.Garcia, S.Darcy

Round 1, 2022

B T.O’Brien A.Keath T.Duryea
HB B.Williams R.Gardner C.Daniel
C J.Macrae J.Dunkley B.Smith
HF JUH A.Naughton L.Vandermeer
F M.Hannan T.English C.Weightman
FOLL: J.Sweet T.Libreatore M.Bontempelli
INTER: A.Treloar, L.Hunter, B.Williams, J.Johannisen

Emergencies
J.Schache, Z.Cordy, E.Richards, R.Smith,
T.McLean, R.West, S.Martin, H.Crozier,
L.McNeil, M.Wallis, R.Garcia, S.Darcy

Hate to whatabout, but no Dale? You've got Williams on there twice so one of them I assume was meant to be Dale

FB O’Brien, Keath, Williams
HB Dale, Gardner, Richards
C Daniel, Bontempelli, Hunter
HF Liberatore, Naughton, Macrae
FF Dunkley, English, Ugle-Hagan
FOL Sweet, Treloar, B Smith
INT Duryea, Weightman, Johannisen, Hannan
SUB Vandermeer

VFL
FB Bedendo, Cordy, Crozier
HB Parker, Khamis, Cleary
C Butler, Wallis, R Smith
HF Scott, Schache, Jones
FF West, Darcy, McNeil
FOL Martin, McComb, Garcia
INT Raak

+ Bruce, McLean

FB O’Brien, Keath, Williams
HB Dale, Gardner, Richards
C Daniel, Bontempelli, Hunter
HF Liberatore, Naughton, Macrae
FF Dunkley, English, Ugle-Hagan
FOL Sweet, Treloar, B Smith
INT Duryea, Weightman, Johannisen, Hannan
SUB Vandermeer

VFL
FB Bedendo, Cordy, Crozier
HB Parker, Khamis, Cleary
C Butler, Wallis, R Smith
HF Scott, Schache, Jones
FF West, Darcy, McNeil
FOL Martin, McComb, Garcia
INT Raak

+ Bruce, McLean
You can't have 3 mids as forwards 1 max

Is anyone else concerned about Keath's hamstrings? He did his hamstring against Melbourne in round 18, and missed the Prelim with a hamstring too. He wasn't 100% for the GF.
He had hamstring issues during his cricket days too.
Might be the kind of guy that is managed and has regular rest weeks later in his career.

We should be comfortable that we will be in the window for 5 years. So what would our team look like in 5 years?

Only five quality players we are likely to lose to age are Libba, Wallis, OBrien, JJ and Trelor and in five years would expect to get at least five good players through draft and trade so looking good.

We also have five years of development of our younger players with many of them at their peak.

Only KPD (I reckon if we commit to developing Schache here - he would make it) and perhaps small forward (I am a McNeil fan) are current holes (compared to others in the window) and the key ruck is still a bit unproven and so will rely on English continuing to improve (I think he will breakout this year) and Darcy providing a threat and tap option. Darcy could be anything - maybe even our version of Darcy Moore would be perfect because we already have star quality up front.

I only hope we don’t as a team think we have plenty of time - premierships are a combo of best players, consistency through time/injury and star quality in big games.

Weightman JUH Darcy
VDM Naughty Bedendo/Hannan

English Bont West
Hunter (32) Dunkley Smith

Khamis Schache Dale
Williams Gardner Richards

Daniel-Jones/McNeil - McLean/Garcia-Macrae (32)

Khamis is not proven but we have considerable options with Raak, Parker and Cleary - expect one of the four to make it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't say no to Wallis spending some time in the firsts. With Bruce out, our forward line is super young and I reckon they really need that leader and general, not sure if Naughton is ready to take that on quite yet. I'd have Wallis over Hannan.

Will spew up if Martin is our preferred ruckman at any point this year. Should not have been re-signed and at this point, should only ever be used as a backup. Sweet was re-signed for two years after West Coast made him an offer, hopefully that means he gets a solid chance.

Charlie Parker should be in the team for round 1. No point in recruiting an older guy like him unless you're going to play him right away. We haven't had a tall, power-running, big-kicking winger for a while and he could provide a new layer of quality to an already great midfield (a bit like Isaac Smith did for Hawthorn when they picked him up as a mature ager).
As for McComb, I'm not a Footscray watcher, but did we really need another small trier in the squad? We now have West, Scott, Garcia, McComb, McLean, McNeil and R.Smith competing for that fringe small midfielder spot.

Cordy shouldn't start anymore and should only be used as a backup. Keath will be the #1 tall defender, the #2 & #3 can be figured out throughout the year between Gardner, O'Brien, Khamis, maybe Raak. Naughton is still low-key better in defence, but he's not going to be taken out of the forward line yet.

Hoping West gets a fair crack this year. One solitary game last year was unfair considering the patience afforded to certain other players.

Naughton is still low-key better in defence, but he's not going to be taken out of the forward line yet.
How do you know? He hasn't played in defence since 2018. The suggestion of Naughton suddenly going back to defence has well and truly run its race. Two years ago it was a potential argument, but not now. He'd need an entire preseason and a solid two to three months of playing in defence to get used to that system, and even then we don't know how effective he'd be.

Those who are still suggesting Naughty play in defence aren't being realistic and quite frankly they're making an unsubstantiated assumption that he'd be more effective in that role that what he's offering in the forward line.

How do you know? He hasn't played in defence since 2018. The suggestion of Naughton suddenly going back to defence has well and truly run its race. Two years ago it was a potential argument, but not now. He'd need an entire preseason and a solid two to three months of playing in defence to get used to that system, and even then we don't know how effective he'd be.

Those who are still suggesting Naughty play in defence aren't being realistic and quite frankly they're making an unsubstantiated assumption that he'd be more effective in that role that what he's offering in the forward line.
I agree. Last year was the last chance to switch him back. He's too far gone now... has the taste of kicking leather between the sticks.

A few people are talking up Parker as a R1 inclusion. This seems highly improbable for mine.

The bloke is a 24 year old who has played 9 games of serious footy since high school, at SANFL level, and then got injured.

Seems to have some highly valued assets and excited to see what he can bring in due course but realistically he is starting from a loooong way back.

If he sees any AFL action in 2022 (let alone R1) he'll have done exceedingly well.

A few people are talking up Parker as a R1 inclusion. This seems highly improbable for mine.

The bloke is a 24 year old who has played 9 games of serious footy since high school, at SANFL level, and then got injured.

Seems to have some highly valued assets and excited to see what he can bring in due course but realistically he is starting from a loooong way back.

If he sees any AFL action in 2022 (let alone R1) he'll have done exceedingly well.
He doesn’t appear to have done much match sim either from what I can tell.

I get the sense that he’s on a steep improvement trajectory. If so, his limited senior experience might not matter. It might be more about where his ceiling is going to be rather than the fact that he’s a marginal senior selection right now.

I get the sense that he’s on a steep improvement trajectory. If so, his limited senior experience might not matter. It might be more about where his ceiling is going to be rather than the fact that he’s a marginal senior selection right now.
Yeah, no doubt the ceiling is high, but with no elite junior pathways and 9 SANFL games, I just find it hard to believe that he can get the tank and the development to be a serious seniors contender by Round 1.

Naughton will never play permanent back under a Beveridge led side. People have valid concerns about his goal kicking, well imagine his use out of defence with his ball drop. Our fan base will have nightmares. Bevs moved all our good users to the defence and moving naughton back completely contradicts that (dale, williams and daniel for starters). Bev's pretty much locked into coaching this side for the next 5 years at a minimum.

Naughton is a 10-15% improvement in goalkicking away from being a 60 goal a season forward. If he adds a little more ground ball goal scoring (which he usually sets up for team mates anyway) your looking at 65-70 goals a season.

Yeah, no doubt the ceiling is high, but with no elite junior pathways and 9 SANFL games, I just find it hard to believe that he can get the tank and the development to be a serious seniors contender by Round 1.
His tank is there, but there is a lot more to football than just running.
He'll get an opportunity this year but I think there are others ahead of him for round 1.

Michael Hurley spent the first 5 years of his career as a forward before moving to defence.
Chris Tarrant spent the first 11 years of his career as a forward before moving to defence.

Naughton still has some consistency issues as a forward. Went completely missing in the Grand Final when his opponent Steven May was on one leg. It's not a mind-blowing call to suggest he could be a better defender than a forward.
Hahahaha dude barely waits 5 minutes before creating another account

And another, got PMed a pic of some lovely beef casserole

Last edited:
Where has Schache been training? Defence or Attack? Him going back really gave him confidence playing defence and look more settled there and has incredible upside. He is the one I would be sending back not Naughty.

He then went forward later in the year and also looking stronger and more confident. Long terms though: Naughty, Marra and Darcy (replacing Juice in time) as three talls looks like a decade long competition leading group of talls.

But this would all change if Darcy was being developed as a KPD and could finally become the Darcy Moore like defender we have been after. This would be great.

But with Juice out and Darcy a couple of years off - Schache provides a good option forward and would have to take some rucks.

Alternative is to play Sweet:Martin and have English play a lot of forward - probably the best attack - so much more likely Schache goes back.

Long term we need to build a defence that’s top four like the other parts of our list. Statistically we already rate pretty well - with great flankers but talls remain a relative weakness. With TOB we could make a good leap. Keith is a top few in the league but is at the end of his career age wise.

Going back Schache is more a CFB but not really a FB. So would be Keith to FB, Schache to CHB and TOB as third tall. This means Gardner misses out.

Gards is still getting better and probably ahead of Schache ATM but they play different roles and I reckon Schache’s upside is so high that if he plays some consistent game time in defence he could be a better player and gives us some long term coverage for Keith who probably only has 1-2 years left.

Without recruiting our mid term talls could be Schache (replacing Keith) and Gardner as he continues to develop with TOB.

With TOB - also at the experienced end he will ultimately replaced by one of the many third tall kids we have now: Khamis, Raak, Parker, Cleary and I wouldn’t be surprised that Cordy could keep offering value.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back