Team for 2022

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Based on Bevos interview yesterday I think our short term plan is going to be Cordy forward, Bont and Dunks needing to spend some minutes there too to compete in the air. Josh Bruce also mentioned Cordy in his interview on SEN. He’s done it before and he can do it again I reckon. His physicality is almost perfect for what we need. Just needs to get back to the basics and where to lead etc.

My round one team estimation:

B: Richards Keath Williams
HB: Daniel Schache Dale
C: Smith Bontempelli Hunter
HF: Hannan Cordy Treloar
F: Weightman Naughton VDM
R: English Dunkley Macrae
Int: RSmith Libba Martin JJ

If he doesn’t go two rucks then swap Martin for Duryea but then I feel our structure is almost shot to pieces.

Emg: Duryea McComb Gardner

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2003
Kennel
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The game and Defensive make up of teams have changed markedly since a young athletic Z Cordy played as a 2nd KF in 2016. Intercept marking defenders have come to the for and Zaine is now a liability up forward. His defender will just zone off him and double team naughts. Zaine is no threat forward, is a below average mark with a turning circle and mobility of big Steph. God only knows how he has lost so much athletism. I would prefer and give Gardner a run up forward. At least he is athletic and it may teach him how to mark.

I want to see Schache succeed as a defender and think he has a tonne more upside than the others but Bevo for god sake play someone up forward who won’t make Naughts life a living hell. If Schache needs to go fwd put him there if you unwilling to give Sweet and JUH a decent run.

Bevo’s faith in Hannan is also a worry. The guy has the attributes but he delivers once every 10 games. Hannan has played 2 shockers. How many does he have to play before Bevo realises he is just an elite VFL player.

If Cordy and Hannan are our 2nd and third tall options we will lose by 20 points with 25 more inside 50’s.

ScottyDogg

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Can't get around Cordy as a forward. I don't think he's anywhere near best 22 in any position tbh.

Just get Gardner in and play Schache forward.
Can someone please explain to me why Wallis is not in the discussion if the cupboard is really this bare? I know he’s not a “tall” but he’s proven a very capable undersized key forward.

I don’t mind Cordy as a third defensive tall forward to disrupt but the fact that we are about to play him ahead of JUH, Schache, Wallis, English, etc is a bit mind blowing. Naughts is going to get triple teamed and injured and then we will be really farked.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah completely agree, the 2nd forwards job is to create space for Naughty, yes Cordy can play a defensive role but like mentioned above, that means his defender is going straight to Naughty & Cordy follows him to clog up his space even more.

Schache playing that role meant he could get free if unattended as he has an extremely high forwards IQ, and makes the oppo pay on the scoreboard. The 2nd tall just has to have some sort of scoring threat in them otherwise what’s the point?

Surely this is just preseason talk.

Also agree on Hannan, not AFL standard for mine - I know he has good moments in games but he’s 28 years old. It’s not like he’s 23 flashing in and out. And his bad is genuinely shocking. Handy depth please leave it at that

hatescaptcha

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
Truganina
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dare say it, our defence feels more solid when Gardner is down there.

Can see him forming a good partnership with Keath and O’Brien / Schache.

I also believe despite the pre-season training we need Schache up forward once O’Brien gets into the side.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dare say it, our defence feels more solid when Gardner is down there.

Can see him forming a good partnership with Keath and O’Brien / Schache.

I also believe despite the pre-season training we need Schache up forward once O’Brien gets into the side.

Same. Keath, Garder, and Cordy/O'Brien down back, and Naughton, Schache, and Cordy/Wallis up forward sounds like a pretty good mix.

Oct 4, 2004
Essendon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MAN U/BROOKLYN NETS
IMO Cordy must play and i would play him forward.

He has the ability to make things happen, has some mongrel in him (campaigner attitude type and we don't have many players with that quality)
and can cause collateral damage and this trait in not manufactured in his case and its rare.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Assuming right or wrong that Schache will play CHB, would a left field selection of Sweet mostly as a tall deep forward be a useful idea?
The reason I suggest this is it offers us a tall marking target to take a bit of pressure off Naughton. Also, during a VFL game last year when the team was way behind on the scoreboard, he was shifted to FF where he marked very well and kicked a couple. He's also a reliable kick on goal.
He could contribute most of the ruckwork at stoppages in the forward half, leaving English to be positioned further up the ground.
Would Martin play in such a scenario? Probably not, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing anyway.
The surprise factor alone might be worth watching.
Please ignore this post if Sweet's pre-season form has been very ordinary, on this, I have no idea.

Bringing this over from the round 1 thread. I like it, could see him parked in the centre square as a full forward type and swapping out ruck/fwd with Tim.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bringing this over from the round 1 thread. I like it, could see him parked in the centre square as a full forward type and swapping out ruck/fwd with Tim.
I like the idea but we have no info on how Sweet is traveling. If the club thinks he can do it I reckon they would ahead of Martin. I expect Martin will be in for the Gawn factor.

hazza21

Team Captain
Feb 7, 2008
Germany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
FB: Crozier, Keath, Williams
HB: Dale, Gardner, Richards

R: English, Bont, Macrae
C: Hunter, Libba, Daniel

HF: Treloar, Hannan, B.Smith
FF: Johannisen, Naughton, Weightman

IC: Schache, Dunkley, Vandermeer, R.Smith

Martin looked cooked and Zaine won't cut it up front. Gardner/ Schache to share second ruck/ KPD duties.

Crozier and Richards seem to be ahead of Duryea in selection atm.

Oct 4, 2004
Essendon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MAN U/BROOKLYN NETS
I think the Cordy of yesteryear could sometimes make good things happen, but I have supreme doubts on whether our current iteration will be able to do anything but get in Naughton's way. Poor in the air, undersized, and the turning circle of the QE2 are not desirable attributes for a 2nd key forward, especially against the best defence in the league.

Cannot disagree with anything you have said but I still think Cordy can play a role up forward.

he wont be a 2nd key forward but he has the attributes that can make our forward line function better. He can easily take a good defender of an opposition club and make him accountable (Lever types), he plays with aggression and provides a contest most times and does impact the area he is in.

hatescaptcha

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
Truganina
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Cordy just needs to compete and bring his aggression up forward which is one Of his stronger attributes. If he can get in a dangerous position and kick some goals that’ll be a bonus.

Can’t help but think Jamarra would be much more effective at this stage in his career as a third tall. Feel as tho he can definitely do some damage with two other talls as support.

Last edited:
From what I've heard Cordy will start forward and Schache back.

I think if he goes poorly we will just swap them around or chuck Cordy in ruck and English forward.

I'd be giving Wallis a crack up forward though, leading goalkicker in 2020 than lost his way when we went three talls in 2021.

Cannot disagree with anything you have said but I still think Cordy can play a role up forward.

he wont be a 2nd key forward but he has the attributes that can make our forward line function better. He can easily take a good defender of an opposition club and make him accountable (Lever types), he plays with aggression and provides a contest most times and does impact the area he is in.
Just not sure how Cordy would make any decent defender accountable. Lever would just zone off and double team Naughton as has been sttaed by other posters. Cordy is not a forward and we would lose a potential natural forward, much prefer Wallis.

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think a set up of Naughton, Schache with Hannan/JUH is sufficient to eek out enough goals. Especially if Schache brings last year's finals form into this year. I especially liked his defensive forward role.

Oct 4, 2004
Essendon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MAN U/BROOKLYN NETS
Just not sure how Cordy would make any decent defender accountable. Lever would just zone off and double team Naughton as has been sttaed by other posters. Cordy is not a forward and we would lose a potential natural forward, much prefer Wallis.

Cordy did that role in 2016 really well.

You make the Lever types accountable by having Cordy run to the right spots and hitting him up especially early in the game, then it becomes the opposition sides problem how they deal with him.

He has natural aggression and intent to hurt and be competitive and I think those attributes will assist our forwards.

Just an idea whilst Bruce is out etc but I certainly see everyone else's point about his limitations in that role.

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For me personally at the moment

FB Duryea Gardner Williams
HB Dale Keath Richards
C Hunter Dunkley B.Smith
HF Treloar Sweet Hannan
FF Weightman Naughton Vandermeer
R English Bont Macrae
INT Daniel Libba Schache JJ Roarke either of the last 2 as sub

English has gone past Stef who is useless as a forward, Sweet albeit 1 game showed he was competent against Port as a forward with Schache as a cover for defence or forward. Gardner just has to play for mine he is just so reliable at getting a fist in and not getting beaten I just can't see why bevo prefers Cordy.

doggiesin08

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bushrangers
Cordy did that role in 2016 really well.

You make the Lever types accountable by having Cordy run to the right spots and hitting him up especially early in the game, then it becomes the opposition sides problem how they deal with him.

He has natural aggression and intent to hurt and be competitive and I think those attributes will assist our forwards.

Just an idea whilst Bruce is out etc but I certainly see everyone else's point about his limitations in that role.
I think our team success in 2016 has lead people to more favourably remember Cordy's impact as a tall forward in that finals series than was reality.

Cordy took a single mark in each of the PF and GF. He kicked 3 goals across those games comprising 2 close snaps in the PF and the set-shot in the GF after a good tackle on Mills. All were hugely important goals but more "right place, right time" rather than "getting to the right spots" as a key forward. Meanwhile Nick Haynes took 11 marks in the PF (appreciate they weren't always directly opposed) and Grundy took 9 marks in the GF and was one of Sydney's bests.

Lever and the Dees defensive structure is not going to care about us hitting up Cordy unless its 20-30m out right in front (in which case Naughton, Lever and May are probably standing there anyway).

Oct 4, 2004
Essendon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MAN U/BROOKLYN NETS
I think our team success in 2016 has lead people to more favourably remember Cordy's impact as a tall forward in that finals series than was reality.

Cordy took a single mark in each of the PF and GF. He kicked 3 goals across those games comprising 2 close snaps in the PF and the set-shot in the GF after a good tackle on Mills. All were hugely important goals but more "right place, right time" rather than "getting to the right spots" as a key forward. Meanwhile Nick Haynes took 11 marks in the PF (appreciate they weren't always directly opposed) and Grundy took 9 marks in the GF and was one of Sydney's bests.

Lever and the Dees defensive structure is not going to care about us hitting up Cordy unless its 20-30m out right in front (in which case Naughton, Lever and May are probably standing there anyway).

I can see what you are saying but in 2016 he was an 11 game player. Did really well in 2016 given he had played only 11 games including the GF.

Understand all your points and don't disagree with them but I would not be playing him as a key forward but giving him specific tasks to do that will assist our key forwards and forward line function better. With that in mind you get the additional natural attributes he has of aggression and been competitive.

He has struggled last two season but I think he is set for a good year in an important year for him.

Last edited:
Based on Bevos interview yesterday I think our short term plan is going to be Cordy forward, Bont and Dunks needing to spend some minutes there too to compete in the air. Josh Bruce also mentioned Cordy in his interview on SEN. He’s done it before and he can do it again I reckon. His physicality is almost perfect for what we need. Just needs to get back to the basics and where to lead etc.

My round one team estimation:

B: Richards Keath Williams
HB: Daniel Schache Dale
C: Smith Bontempelli Hunter
HF: Hannan Cordy Treloar
F: Weightman Naughton VDM
R: English Dunkley Macrae
Int: RSmith Libba Martin JJ

If he doesn’t go two rucks then swap Martin for Duryea but then I feel our structure is almost shot to pieces.

Emg: Duryea McComb Gardner
Cordy did cover a lot of ground in his brief forays forward, up to 17kms one game. If that's an indication that he'll split the defenders and get the hell out of Naughton's way, he'll be playing his role. He is taller than both Lever or May and that 3rd quarter against Essendon where we experimented with only Hannan as a marking option in the F50 (English and Naughton off the ground, Martin in the ruck) was a horror show that we just can't repeat.

I suspect the team you have there is fairly close to the mark, with Duryea in for Roarke. VDM the most likely to make way for someone, and I don;t think we'll keep that structure as O'Brien is automatically in and we play 3 talls in defence as soon as he's fit.

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Cordy did cover a lot of ground in his brief forays forward, up to 17kms one game. If that's an indication that he'll split the defenders and get the hell out of Naughton's way, he'll be playing his role. He is taller than both Lever or May and that 3rd quarter against Essendon where we experimented with only Hannan as a marking option in the F50 (English and Naughton off the ground, Martin in the ruck) was a horror show that we just can't repeat.

I suspect the team you have there is fairly close to the mark, with Duryea in for Roarke. VDM the most likely to make way for someone, and I don;t think we'll keep that structure as O'Brien is automatically in and we play 3 talls in defence as soon as he's fit.

If we play Tim solely / mainly ruck and Naughton doesn’t get a tall buddy, we will get smoked.

Back