Article Team of the 19th Century: "20 of the era’s greatest players"

Remove this Banner Ad

SpareTowel

Senior List
Jul 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Has anyone read the fifth and final volume of Mark Pennings' Origins of Australian Football? In it he has selected a "Team of the 19th Century", and I'm curious to know who made the cut if anyone can share (I can't find the book in any local libraries and unfortunately cannot afford a copy right now). Given the amount of research Pennings has done, it is sure to be as close as we can get to definitive

Last edited:
Has anyone read the fifth and final volume of Mark Pennings' Origins of Australian Football? In it he has selected a "Team of the 19th Century", and I'm curious to know who made the cut if anyone can share (I can't find the book in any local libraries and unfortunately cannot afford a copy right now). Given the amount of research Pennings has done, it is sure to be as close as we can get to definitive
Does it only look at Victoria?

Backs: J. Kerley (Geelong), H. Elms (vc -SM), J. Wilson (Geelong/Carlton)

HB's: T. Banks (Fitzroy), W. Strickland (Coll., Carlton), H. Guy (Carlton, R.Park, Melb.)

C: F. McGuiness (Melb.), D. Hickingbotham (Geelong), C. Pearson (Ess.)

HF: W. Hanneysee (Port Melb.), H. Mclean (Geelong), D. McKay (SM, Rich.)

F: D. Christy (Melb.), A. Thurgood (Ess.), J. Grace (Fitzroy)

Followers: HC Harrison (capt. -Melb.), G. Coulthard (Carlton), P. Burns (SM/Geelong), J. Baker (Carlton/Geelong)

Rover: J. Worrall (Fitzroy)

Dr Pennings: Honourable Mentions (and apologies) to:-

R. Condon (Coll.), J. Conway (Carlton), J. Donovan (Carlton), C. Forbes (Ess.), R. Houston (NM/St K/Geelong), G. McKenzie (Ball. Imp./SM), O. O'Brien (Carlton), G. O'Mullane (Sth Yarra), G. Vautin (Ess.), T. Wills (Melb.,Geelong)

Dr M. Pennings, in his massive & detailed 5 Volumes examining the period 1858 -1896, concentrated primarily on Victorian players.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back