B: Firrito Tarrant Wright
HB: Atley Thompson Macmillan
C: Wells Swallow Gibson
HF: Ziebell Petrie Higgins
F: Thomas Brown Waite
R: Goldstein Cunnington Harvey
Int: Dal Santo Hansen Jacobs Daw
Apologies to LMac, Dumont & Marley

The backline's a little shaky but that forward line....

B: Williams Tarrant Thompson
HB: Firrito Hansen Wright
C: Wells Swallow Higgins
HF: Harvey Petrie Waite
F: Thomas Brown Ziebell
R: Goldstein Dal Santo Cunnington
I: Adams Atley Greenwood Jacobs

If we could have go a midfield line up of Goldstein, Dal Santo, Cunnington, Wells, Swallow, Higgins with backup from Boomer, Jacobs & Levi, on to the park together on a regular basis then we would have won a couple of flags.

So, our website has a competition of sorts to name our team of the 2010s. The eligibility criteria are something like:
Must have played 50 games or won a Syd
Some players can be named in multiple positions, but not all.

Here’s my effort:

Firrito - Tarrant - Williams
Thompson - Grima - Wright
Wells - Cunnington - Adams
Harvey - Petrie - Higgins
Waite - Brown - Thomas
Goldstein - Jacobs - Swallow

Int: Rawlings - Ziebell - McMahon - whatever

Discuss.

B: Firrito - Thompson - Williams
HB: McDonald - Tarrant - Wright
C: Wells - Cunnington - Rawlings
HF: Harvey(c) - Petrie (vc) - Higgins
F: Waite - Brown - L.Thomas
Foll: Goldstein - Jacobs - Dal Santo

Int: Anderson - Ziebell - Simpkin - Zurharr
Emg: T.Thomas - Swallow - K.Turner

ALL TIME (players I've actually watched play)
B: Pickett - Dench - Thompson
HB: King - Glendinning - Archer
C: Greig - Stevens - W Schimmelbusch
HF: Blight - Carey - P Krakouer
F: Harvey - Brown - C.McKernan
Foll: Dempsey - S.Grant - J.Krakouer
I/C : P.Bell - J.Waite - B.Cunnington - M.Pike
Emg: C.Sholl - J.Blakey - S.Higgins - D.Petrie

Last edited:
B: Firrito - Thompson - Williams
HB: McDonald - Tarrant - Wright
C: Wells - Cunnington - Rawlings
HF: Harvey(c) - Petrie (vc) - Higgins
F: Waite - Brown - Thomas
F: Goldstein - Jacobs - Dal Santo

Int: Anderson - Ziebell - Makepeace - Swallow

I like Makepeace but he didn’t play in the 2010s. McDonald is nowhere near it. How can you leave out Patch and Swallow?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Makepeace but he didn’t play in the 2010s. McDonald is nowhere near it. How can you leave out Patch and Swallow?

Ok.. thanks for the reminder.. well, Luke Mac was the last guy squeezed in ahead of MacMillan & Atley (lack grit). Someone has to be the unlucky one here.. Patch didn't get enough reps for mine and also DuMont just missed out also who I think uses the ball more smarter than Luke but neither play HBF. I could of easily squeezed in Levi Greenwood but he only had ONE standout season.

Spitta was a great clubman and tenacious unheralded bulldog no doubt but he was too one paced and limited.

Edit: Ah... forgot about the latest class.. Three gems included: Zurharr - Simpkin and Tarryn Thomas. Not sold on LDU yet even though he showed something to look fwd to. Wood (my whipping boy) & Garner haven't done anywhere enough to earn a spot and I love the way Kayne Turner goes about it when his head is in the game. Ahern and Larkey are the spare parts who also missed but team balance comes first. Hopefully Vickers-Willis can stay healthy to nail the HBF possy if LMac can't hold up.

Last edited:
Duplicated thread

Ok.. thanks for the reminder.. well, Luke Mac was the last guy squeezed in ahead of MacMillan & Atley (lack grit). Someone has to be the unlucky one here.. Patch didn't get enough reps for mine and also DuMont just missed out also who I think uses the ball more smarter than Luke but neither play HBF. I could of easily squeezed in Levi Greenwood but he only had ONE standout season.

Spitta was a great clubman and tenacious unheralded bulldog no doubt but he was too one paced and limited.

Edit: Ah... forgot about the latest class.. Three gems included: Zurharr - Simpkin and Tarryn Thomas. Not sold on LDU yet even though he showed something to look fwd to. Wood (my whipping boy) & Garner haven't done anywhere enough to earn a spot and I love the way Kayne Turner goes about it when his head is in the game. Ahern and Larkey are the spare parts who also missed but team balance comes first. Hopefully Vickers-Willis can stay healthy to nail the HBF possy if LMac can't hold up.
You're out of your mind if you don't have Spitta in this team. Arguably the best midfielder of that era.

Don't let his post-injury form cloud your memory of him. Swallow was really, really good. Was half the player post-achilles.

Bit of a comp up on the NMFC website about this

Have a go everyone!

I'll post mine:
B: Atley Thompson Firrito
HB: Macmillan Tarrant Wright
C:Gibson Swallow Higgins
HF: Harvey Petrie Hansen Wells
F: Thomas Brown Waite
R: Goldstein Ziebell Cunnington
I: Adams Jacobs Williams Dal Santo

EDIT: Realised I missed Wells. I'll put him on HFF in place of Hansen
I didn't expect that many north players to make the team :stern look

Don't let his post-injury form cloud your memory of him. Swallow was really, really good. Was half the player post-achilles.

I can only evaluate what I saw of him in whole.. pre- and post achilles. A one sided player dilutes his attributes when I chose to think of what he brought to the table. I was there for his debut game against the Dees where he sunk the Demons with a long bomb at the death..

You're out of your mind if you don't have Spitta in this team. Arguably the best midfielder of that era.

didn't watch any footy from 2009-2012 as the crappy interpretations of the rules did my head in. Explains why I don't have a high appreciation of Pavlich either.

You're miles off the mark with Swallow, Woodson.

He was a gun in the period you sat the game out and to highlight his unheralded ability, tied with a D. Wells at his absolute best to share a Syd Barker in 2011.

He was a champion on the same level as a Matty Larkin, imo.

Different players, different attributes, but equally both under-rated, by and large.

You're miles off the mark with Swallow, Woodson.

He was a gun in the period you sat the game out and to highlight his unheralded ability, tied with a D. Wells at his absolute best to share a Syd Barker in 2011.

He was a champion on the same level as a Matty Larkin,

I can't remember the year and this is prior achilles (maybe happened that game even?), but Swallow head to head with Selwood at Etihad, and was destroying him in first half against Cats.

We were in front against a very good team until then.

Ended up losing i think (was it the game Firrito kicked ball away for a 50 when Cats had a free?) as Swallow was injured, but he was an absolute gun at his very best.

People might disagree but i think Swallow was (again, at his best) clearly a better player and leader than Ziebell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back