Team of the 21st Century

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a few where he didnt, but he was a VERY good small forward. Wonder if his off field habits impact on getting picked in Best Of teams...

He had 9 or 10 where he did and averaged over 2 goals a game for close enough to 300 games.

Very unlikable character from the outside.

I'd have Richo in over Fev, J Riewoldt, and Kennedy easily. Guy was a machine, seriously good runner, one of the best contested marks we've seen, and despite people doubting his goal kicking ability, his accuracy % was actually quite good comparatively. Not to mention he carried the Tigers for a decade.

In terms of forward line you'd probably have 3 keys (Lloyd, Richo, Franklin), 1/2 hybrids (Johnson or Aker), and 1/2 smalls (Milne, Betts, or B Harvey). Damn this gets hard.

I would have Richo in for Fev at any other position besides where he was named. I don't think there's a forward I would have ahead of Fev leading from the goal square since 2000.

If you don’t have a bench spot at least for a 6 x AA utility with 350 games and 700 goals you’ve got rocks in your head
Vote 1 Pavlova
I would have a criminally underrated Luke McPharlin in the team before a criminally overrated Matthew Pavlich. The Dockers backline fell off a cliff as soon as McPharlin retired (something that had been lauded as a strength up to that point, making everyone look better when he played). Compare this to Pav where talk of 'dockers needing a tall forward' started while he was still playing and well before he even retired. This talk marred his career. You can't seriously laud a player as a great on one hand and then listen with a straight face of talk of the Docker's forward line and ability to score being their weakness / Achilles heel. That makes him about as impressive as Quinten Lynch (another useful utility, who played in a team where their forward-line wasn't their best asset but its midfield and backline made up for it - good enough that Lynch has a premiership). Basically, it's like saying Rance is a great and then saying Richmond's backline is one of their problem areas (or Scarlett and Geelong's backline for that matter). It defeats itself. You'll notice that the greats usually belong to a team's strongest parts of the ground, because, well, they're great - so obviously their presence is going to lift the team, especially wherever they play. Pav hasn't done this.

Last edited:
Simon Goodwin Anyone?

Five time AA in the 2000s.
3 best n fairests.
AFLCA winner 2006

McLeod a lock from us.

Ricciuto probably did his best work 97-2004 or so across the two centurys, but still:

Simon Goodwin Anyone?

Five time AA in the 2000s.
3 best n fairests.
AFLCA winner 2006

McLeod a lock from us.

Ricciuto probably did his best work 97-2004 or so across the two centurys, but still:
i really wanted Goodwin in my backline. gun player

I would have a criminally underrated Luke McPharlin in the team before a criminally overrated Matthew Pavlich. The Dockers backline fell off a cliff as soon as McPharlin retired (something that had been lauded as a strength up to that point, making everyone look better when he played). Compare this to Pav where talk of 'dockers needing a tall forward' started while he was still playing and well before he even retired. This talk marred his career. You can't seriously laud a player as a great on one hand and then listen with a straight face of talk of the Docker's forward line and ability to score being their weakness / Achilles heel. That makes him about as impressive as Quinten Lynch (another useful utility, who played in a team where their forward-line wasn't their best asset but its midfield and backline made up for it - good enough that Lynch has a premiership). Basically, it's like saying Rance is a great and then saying Richmond's backline is one of their problem areas (or Scarlett and Geelong's backline for that matter). It defeats itself. You'll notice that the greats usually belong to a team's strongest parts of the ground, because, well, they're great - so obviously their presence is going to lift the team, especially wherever they play. Pav hasn't done this.
Do you just read the herald sun or actually watch football ?

This is incredibly nonsensical.

A Rance…....M Scarlett...C Enright
L Hodge.....J Leppitsch….A McLeod
N Buckley.....S Black.....M Voss
S Johnson….N Riewoldt..J Akermanis
S Milne........L Franklin...B Johnson

D Cox...C Judd...G Ablett Jnr

A Goodes, M Pavlich. M Riccuito, B Cousins

This is incredibly nonsensical.
That's just your opinion, man.

The reality is that Pav belonged to a team's forward set-up that was strongly considered his team's greatest weakness as a whole (as a common theme for the Dockers during Pav's reign was struggling to kick competitive scores). What's incredibly nonsensical is that Pav is somehow considered great despite that glaring fact. This was a weakness highlighted even while the Docker's were at the top of their game and years before his retirement: "the club's lack of a second tall forward was felt keenly in the Grand Final." (LINK) You compare this to what the Dockers were lauded for during this time: their well-structured defence and ability to stop opposition from scoring. Pav has always been easy for Fremantle to cover when injured, too. Compare this to Luke McPharlin whose retirement caused Fremantle's defence to capitulate instantly. Pav is simply overrated.

Anybody citing Brownlow votes need not apply, we already know what the umpires think. Not that they're always wrong, but too much emphasis on the less important stuff is how you end up with Greg Williams and Keith Greig in the team of last century (while Lou Richards and Malcolm Blight missed out even though they ARE football).

The legacies of Ablett and Franklin are the only two I'm confident about enduring the next 80 years. Hopefully Goodes as well. Not sure Judd can, his style isn't as strongly copy protected nor did he sustain his best footy for as long. Pavlich definitely won't because he's already under-appreciated and always has been, unfortunately, which I will let slide because you gotta pick your battles.

So in the year 2100 or thenabouts, the hill I see myself dying on (literally) will probably be Akermanis and, depending on how the next ten years go, maybe Bontempelli. The kids of Generation Zeta need to know that not all footballers of the early-2000s were instinctive stat-racking hospital passers, some of them were actually quite clever playmakers and ahead of their time.
Greg Williams was a Rolls Royce compared to Lou Richards, the gap is miles apart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd have Cousins in over Pendles.

A Brownlow, flag and 6 AA (4 in the 21st century) and 4 club champion awards (this century).
I'd have Cousins in over Pendles.

A Brownlow, flag and 6 AA (4 in the 21st century) and 4 club champion awards (this century).

A Norm Smith, flag and 5 AA (very much could be 6 after this year) and 5 club champion awards.

I picked this team with a few changes in a thread I started in 2015 ie Team of the Millennium so far and my criteria was at least 2 AA selections this century.

B. Gavin Wanganeen Matthew Scarlett Andrew McLeod

HB
. Corey Enright Darren Glass Luke Hodge

C. Michael Voss Sam Mitchell Gary Ablett

HF. Jason Akermanis Nick Reiwoldt Lance Franklin

F. Eddie Betts Matthew Lloyd Cyril Rioli

R. Dean Cox Chris Judd Nat Fyfe

INT. Nathan Buckley Scott Pendlebury Mark Ricciuto Ben Cousins.

That's just your opinion, man.

The reality is that Pav belonged to a team's forward set-up that was strongly considered his team's greatest weakness as a whole (as a common theme for the Dockers during Pav's reign was struggling to kick competitive scores). What's incredibly nonsensical is that Pav is somehow considered great despite that glaring fact. This was a weakness highlighted even while the Docker's were at the top of their game and years before his retirement: "the club's lack of a second tall forward was felt keenly in the Grand Final." (LINK) You compare this to what the Dockers were lauded for during this time: their well-structured defence and ability to stop opposition from scoring. Pav has always been easy for Fremantle to cover when injured, too. Compare this to Luke McPharlin whose retirement caused Fremantle's defence to capitulate instantly. Pav is simply overrated.
Swans forward line has been there weakness and always lacking a second tall buddy no good?

All achievements prior to the turn of the century must be disregarded for the purpose of this team imo.

Locks as follows:
GAJ
Buddy
Judd
N. Riewoldt
Black
Goodes
Scarlett
Enright
Betts (more x factor than Milne though understand the case for him)
Hodge
S. Mitchell
Akermanis
Rance
Cox

There's 14 players, and it gets a little more difficult to determine the next 8 and really comes down to personal preference.

All achievements prior to the turn of the century must be disregarded for the purpose of this team imo.

Locks as follows:
GAJ
Buddy
Judd
N. Riewoldt
Black
Goodes
Scarlett
Enright
Betts (more x factor than Milne though understand the case for him)
Hodge
S. Mitchell
Akermanis
Rance
Cox

There's 14 players, and it gets a little more difficult to determine the next 8 and really comes down to personal preference.
Honestly, would there be a need for the other players with that mob running out...

Can you imagine trying to get into this team by the time its 2100...

Tredrea is always underrated in these discussions. At his absolute best I think only Buddy has been better. Shorter peaks than some but was an absolute freak in his prime.

That being said it's tough nudging someone like Riewoldt out of CHF. Only blemish in his CV is no flag.

Honestly, would there be a need for the other players with that mob running out...

Can you imagine trying to get into this team by the time its 2100...

By the time it's 2100, I think only GAJ, Franklin, Judd will be in the team.

Maybe Hodge.

By the time it's 2100, I think only GAJ, Franklin, Judd will be in the team.

Maybe Hodge.
By 2100 the top level of the game will be the HHMAFL ie. Hybrid Human Machine Australian Football League. The Biological Human Australian Football League will be a mere curiosity of a bygone era.
1558040475795.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back