Team of the 21st Century

Remove this Banner Ad

Michael Voss has to be in...best captain this century. Put his body on the line for others to get the reward

Anybody citing Brownlow votes need not apply, we already know what the umpires think. Not that they're always wrong, but too much emphasis on the less important stuff is how you end up with Greg Williams and Keith Greig in the team of last century (while Lou Richards and Malcolm Blight missed out even though they ARE football).

The legacies of Ablett and Franklin are the only two I'm confident about enduring the next 80 years. Hopefully Goodes as well. Not sure Judd can, his style isn't as strongly copy protected nor did he sustain his best footy for as long. Pavlich definitely won't because he's already under-appreciated and always has been, unfortunately, which I will let slide because you gotta pick your battles.

So in the year 2100 or thenabouts, the hill I see myself dying on (literally) will probably be Akermanis and, depending on how the next ten years go, maybe Bontempelli. The kids of Generation Zeta need to know that not all footballers of the early-2000s were instinctive stat-racking hospital passers, some of them were actually quite clever playmakers and ahead of their time.

Using the 100 games played in this century criteria, non-negotiables would be:

Ablett, Franklin, Scarlett, Enright, Hodge (C) N. Riewoldt, Judd, Goodes, Voss (VC), Cox and S. Black

Build your team around that side and then go from there

B: Fletcher Scarlett Enright
HB: Murphy Rance Hodge
C: Goodes Ablett Boomer
HF: Johnson Brown Riewoldt
F: Kennedy Franklin Betts
R: Cox Judd Swan
I: Pendlebury Pavlich Mitchell Burgoyne E: Riewoldt Roughead Selwood

Tried to pick players who played atleast 15 seasons from 2000 to 2019.
Voss, Akermanis, Black barely played this decade so left them out. Included the 07-11 Cats standouts and Haw4orn winners.

They're both in the team...who really cares?

Several of these players are also in my team. Others played roughly half the games over the period that Pendlebury has and others just aren't in his class (all due respect to Bartel...and Kerr, please. You don't get into company like this based on what you could have been. Martin's in danger of going down that path too: out of this world for a couple of years, nothing special for the rest).
Yeah a weird post from the other bloke, not sure why anybody would get up in arms about Pendles? Perhaps a disgruntled Essendon fan still booing!? 🤪

Pendles is 5 time All Australian in the 2000s, how many players can top that?

Won 5 BnFs and 2nd a further 3 times, again all in the 2000s

He has won norm smiths, coaches association best player awards

Will potentially chalk up 300 games soon too, and is still arguably Collingwood’s best midfielder now!

Certainly deserves to be in any conversation of a team of the 2000s

B: Fletcher Scarlett Enright
HB: Murphy Rance Hodge
C: Goodes Ablett Boomer
HF: Johnson Brown Riewoldt
F: Kennedy Franklin Betts
R: Cox Judd Swan
I: Pendlebury Pavlich Mitchell Burgoyne E: Riewoldt Roughead Selwood

Tried to pick players who played atleast 15 seasons from 2000 to 2019.
Voss, Akermanis, Black barely played this decade so left them out. Included the 07-11 Cats standouts and Haw4orn winners.
Black played until 2013!? Played 291 games if starting in year 2000

B: Matthew Scarlett, Alex Rance, Corey Enright
HB: Luke Hodge, Brian Lake, Andrew McLeod
C: Adam Goodes, Michael Voss, Jason Akermanis
HF: Lance Franklin, Nick Riewoldt, Luke Breust
F: Stephen Milne, Brendan Fevola, Eddie Betts
R: Dean Cox, Chris Judd, Gary Ablett
I/C: Josh P Kennedy, Sam Mitchell, Simon Black, Ben Cousins

I am surprised people are putting Josh J Kennedy ahead of Jack Reiwoldt. Reiwoldt is younger, has played more games, and has kicked more goals. Even then, Fevola kicked more goals than both and played his last game at twenty-nine years of age. He was an utter monster. So was Hall, but Fevola was something else. Breust, Betts, and Milne are the best three small forwards of this century (closely followed by Steve Johnson) and it's difficult to split them - bare in mind Breust is 4 years younger than Betts, and he's on track to end his career with just as many goals as Betts and Milne... was very tempted to put Steve Johnson ahead of Breust, but I have a gut feeling that Breust's reliability will see him have more goals by the end of his career (speculatively).

I'd have Richo in over Fev, J Riewoldt, and Kennedy easily. Guy was a machine, seriously good runner, one of the best contested marks we've seen, and despite people doubting his goal kicking ability, his accuracy % was actually quite good comparatively. Not to mention he carried the Tigers for a decade.

In terms of forward line you'd probably have 3 keys (Lloyd, Richo, Franklin), 1/2 hybrids (Johnson or Aker), and 1/2 smalls (Milne, Betts, or B Harvey). Damn this gets hard.

Pick HFF as HFF not mids... Mids should be C R and maybe 2 on bench no more
It's the 21st century team. Who really played his whole career as a true HFF since 2000?

Putting resting mids who kicked a few goals there is exactly how current teams are build.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buckley won a Brownlow,
Norm Smith medal, 3 All Australians and 2 B and Fs in the 21st Century. He must be included.
If you actually compare his achievements with other mids since 2000 then you'll realise he starts to fall down the list behind other mids.

Gun player but like Hird he did a lot of good work in the 90s.

If you actually compare his achievements with other mids since 2000 then you'll realise he starts to fall down the list behind other mids.

Gun player but like Hird he did a lot of good work in the 90s.

Unfortunately for Buckley agree with this - the mid-late 90s guns and into early 2000s get a bit dudded in both centuries!! Buckley would be behind swan and Pendles this century at Collingwood but overall better than both.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Buckley won a Brownlow,
Norm Smith medal, 3 All Australians and 2 B and Fs in the 21st Century. He must be included.
Bartel also won a Brownlow and a Norm Smith - in far better sides - but I wouldn't have him in.

Buckley was superb, but he wasn't head-and-shoulders above his peers a la Judd, Dusty, or Ablett.

How people have Bob Murphy anywhere near this team is beyond me and I love Bob. Many better back flankers, josh Gibson comes to mind without too much thinking.
Pretty much this. I mean, Corey Enright and Bob Murphy are more comparable than Gibson, but you'd have to choose Corey Enright ahead every day of the week.

I'd have Richo in over Fev, J Riewoldt, and Kennedy easily. Guy was a machine, seriously good runner, one of the best contested marks we've seen, and despite people doubting his goal kicking ability, his accuracy % was actually quite good comparatively. Not to mention he carried the Tigers for a decade.

In terms of forward line you'd probably have 3 keys (Lloyd, Richo, Franklin), 1/2 hybrids (Johnson or Aker), and 1/2 smalls (Milne, Betts, or B Harvey). Damn this gets hard.
When Richo was on, he was on. I think the thing that annoyed me about Richo was that when he was off, his lack-of-confidence was so broadcast and infectious and soul-sucking that it was just infuriating to watch. Of course, he could win a game off his own boot. Never felt that about Lloyd, though (despite how many goals he kicked). Felt like he benefited more from the Bomber's silver service and James Hird always struck me as the ultimate match-winner / match-saver in those days rather than Lloyd. I mostly have the hates on for Lloyd because I remember him more for his ridiculous flops and dives than his goal kicking. I'd take Richo ahead of Lloyd, honestly.

This thread is starting to have a "what about player x from my team" feel but I have said it before and will say it again, Sam Mitchell HAS to be in for the following reasons:
  1. He is the best player (5 B&F's) at the most successful club (4 flags) this century.
  2. He is #2 for Brownlow votes this century (and all time) - behind only Ablett.
  3. He is top 5 for Coaches votes this century
  4. He is the #1 ball winner this century
  5. He is the #1 clearance winner this century (and all time)
  6. He is one of the absolute best finals performers this century (and all time)
  7. He was ultra consistent - and has the most 30+ disposal games this century (and all time)
Out of anyone from Hawthorn (the mot successful team thus far) he should be the one chosen (including over Hodge).

No room
B: Matthew Scarlett, Alex Rance, Corey Enright
HB: Luke Hodge, Brian Lake, Andrew McLeod
C: Adam Goodes, Michael Voss, Jason Akermanis
HF: Lance Franklin, Nick Riewoldt, Luke Breust
F: Stephen Milne, Brendan Fevola, Eddie Betts
R: Dean Cox, Chris Judd, Gary Ablett
I/C: Josh P Kennedy, Sam Mitchell, Simon Black, Ben Cousins

I am surprised people are putting Josh J Kennedy ahead of Jack Reiwoldt. Reiwoldt is younger, has played more games, and has kicked more goals. Even then, Fevola kicked more goals than both and played his last game at twenty-nine years of age. He was an utter monster. So was Hall, but Fevola was something else. Breust, Betts, and Milne are the best three small forwards of this century (closely followed by Steve Johnson) and it's difficult to split them - bare in mind Breust is 4 years younger than Betts, and he's on track to end his career with just as many goals as Betts and Milne... was very tempted to put Steve Johnson ahead of Breust, but I have a gut feeling that Breust's reliability will see him have more goals by the end of his career (speculatively).
No room for a 6 time AA with 350 games and 700 goals that can play anywhere? One of his AA was on a half fwd flank as well Breust ?

Rance Scarlett Enright
Burgoyne Leppitsch Hodge
Cousins Voss Black
Hird Franklin Ablett
Betts Lloyd Akermanis
Cox Judd Buckley
Goodes Roughead Ricciuto S.Mitchell

Jesus....that's a pretty fair effort there :thumbsu:

Imagine running out against that lot......lol

Only small forward to have kicked 30 goals a year or more every year.

Averages slightly more goals than Betts. More tackles which apparently is important. And more possessions.

If you are going on longevity (because Betts has more of something) lets have Burgoyne there.

Milne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back