Lingsface

Premiership Player
May 9, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Listen I am not well informed prior to 1922 so I will try and put together an all time team. TBH I’m not well informed on players prior to about 1985 but some of this will be guess work from what I have heard about some. So very open to moderations to the side. I’m also trying to mould my side to one that could function as a side.So may have better player son the bench than on the field.

FB: Wirrapanda Scarlett Silvagni
CHB: McLeod Rance Doull
C: Cable Ablett jnr Martin
CHF: Ablett snr Carey Franklin
FF: Matthews Lockett Akermanis
R: Cox Voss Judd

IC- Dunstall P Farmer Riccutio G Williams

Gotta consider slotting Bernie Smith into that back pocket.
Absolute gun who was a dominant figure during the club's back to back premiership winning 1951-52 teams.
Brownlow medallist, B+F winner, AA when AA meant you actually played matches against other states.
Wanganeen, John Rantall and Corey Enright also good nominations for that small full-back line defender, but Bernie Smith should get the bikkies imo.

I don't think you can go further back than 15 or 20 years. Players from 1960 to 2000 were participants in a totally different game. If I was to select a team from 1960 onward, playing football under the rules of the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s, no one this century would get a game. Similarly, a player like Leigh Matthews would be a different player in the 21st century, his role would be completely disparate from what he is well known for today. Footy and its players have changed considerably, the rules would be foreign to anyone who played in the 1999 Grand Final! You could probably make up a great team from the past 20 years, but that's as far as it goes.

Gotta consider slotting Bernie Smith into that back pocket.
Absolute gun who was a dominant figure during the club's back to back premiership winning 1951-52 teams.
Brownlow medallist, B+F winner, AA when AA meant you actually played matches against other states.
Wanganeen, John Rantall and Corey Enright also good nominations for that small full-back line defender, but Bernie Smith should get the bikkies imo.
I’m trying to keep it post 1960 as I just have not enough knowledge of that time. I’m sure your point is very valid though.

I don't think you can go further back than 15 or 20 years. Players from 1960 to 2000 were participants in a totally different game. If I was to select a team from 1960 onward, playing football under the rules of the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s, no one this century would get a game. Similarly, a player like Leigh Matthews would be a different player in the 21st century, his role would be completely disparate from what he is well known for today. Footy and its players have changed considerably, the rules would be foreign to anyone who played in the 1999 Grand Final! You could probably make up a great team from the past 20 years, but that's as far as it goes.

matthews played on the ball as well as in the forward line

over the years we have seen some slow guys excel in the middle including williams and more recently mitchell. we've also seen chunky guys like hamill and more recently tipungwuti.

So although I appreciate there are players who wouldn't be champs in their former roles (polly farmer, gary ablett snr (as a full forward), dunstall) I don't see matthews as one of them.

over the years we have seen some slow guys excel in the middle including williams and more recently mitchell. we've also seen chunky guys like hamill and more recently tipungwuti.

So although I appreciate there are players who wouldn't be champs in their former roles (polly farmer, gary ablett snr (as a full forward), dunstall) I don't see matthews as one of them.
Yes I agree on this some players may not run as well as others in speed or distance but they actually no where to run too.

Priddis is a Brownlow medalist Tom Mitchell also in the last 10 years.

Matthews strength once on the ball as well would still be such a problem for opposition.

Matthews was

Matthews was just too rough and tough for the modern era, he wouldn't be allowed to play as he once did in 2023. He'd be a shadow of the player he was in the 1970s...Lockett, Ablett, Carey would all suffer the same fate. The one-on-one defenders like Neale, Southby, Doull and Dench would all have to play different roles. It's not the same game, they played a much better game. Matthews was far better than today's footballers who are more athletes than footy players, the rules would also do him in. The golden age of footy has passed, i'm sorry for anyone who was born in the 90s who missed out on seeing it all...

Last edited:
Listen I am not well informed prior to 1922 so I will try and put together an all time team. TBH I’m not well informed on players prior to about 1985 but some of this will be guess work from what I have heard about some. So very open to moderations to the side. I’m also trying to mould my side to one that could function as a side.So may have better player son the bench than on the field.

FB: Wirrapanda Scarlett Silvagni
CHB: McLeod Rance Doull
C: Cable Ablett jnr Martin
CHF: Ablett snr Carey Franklin
FF: Matthews Lockett Akermanis
R: Cox Voss Judd

IC- Dunstall P Farmer Riccutio G Williams

Not sure you can exclude Stewart, Hart, Greg on the basis of your 1960s cut off date. Stewart would be ahead of Voss, Judd, Martin.

Also not sure how Cox goes ahead of Polly. Good modern ruckmen but not an all time legend.

Aker was a good player but wouldn't be on a half forward flank ahead of Martin or more accurately Kevin Bartlett given the time frame.

Not sure you can exclude Stewart, Hart, Greg on the basis of your 1960s cut off date. Stewart would be ahead of Voss, Judd, Martin.

Also not sure how Cox goes ahead of Polly. Good modern ruckmen but not an all time legend.

Aker was a good player but wouldn't be on a half forward flank ahead of Martin or more accurately Kevin Bartlett given the time frame.
Finally! A Richmond supporter with a balanced view of Martin.

o_Oo_Oo_O

Ian Stewart sorry I thought he was 50s that is a very accurate point. He is a 3 time Brownlow medalist.

Judd goes to the bench.

I think I like Martin in that position with Akermanis as well because of there on ball ability to go with goal kicking.

All 3 Matthews Martin and Akermanis can rotate in to the midfield and get 2-3 goals a game as well. Bartlett could be picked as a pure small forward though.

Akermanis is not as good as some on the bench but in terms of an attacking midfielder that can go forward there’s not many I’ve seen with more talent. Seems like a w***er but let’s put that aside.

Matthews was

Matthews was just too rough and tough for the modern era, he wouldn't be allowed to play as he once did in 2023. He'd be a shadow of the player he was in the 1970s...Lockett, Ablett, Carey would all suffer the same fate. The one-on-one defenders like Neale, Southby, Doull and Dench would all have to play different roles. It's not the same game, they played a much better game. Matthews was far better than today's footballers who are more athletes than footy players, the rules would also do him in. The golden age of footy has passed, i'm sorry anyone who was born in the 90s missed out on seeing it all...
Yes but can the argument go the other way as well? Would some of these players now struggle to get their hands on the footy in that era?

Would the players with these sublime skills and strength adapt with different training methods etc now?

Who knows?

Maybe we don’t pick a team because the game will have to be played tomorrow and will tomorrow come?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So my view would be on the time frames involved:

B: Big Nick, Silvani, Wanganeen
HB: Doull, Roos, Ayres
C: Greig, Stewart, GAJ
HF: Franklin, Carey, Bartlett
FF: GAS, Lockett, Matthews
Fol: Polly, Skilton, Williams
Int: Dunstall, Judd, Martin, Bourke

CHB was difficult. Could have gone with Scarlet, Rance, Glendinning or Knights easily. Murray misses out in my opinion on a flank.

Went with Wanganeen but thought about McLeod for that spot also. Both great players and equally worthy.

My view is that of modern players Franklin, GAJ, Judd and Martin have marked their cards. There's probably several players unlucky such as Hird, Voss, Buckley, Roo (St Kilda and Adelaide varieties), Pavlich, Dangerfield, Pendles and Fyfe who all come to mind (and many others that I think could be a chance like Darren Jarman).

Edit: I subbed in Matera for Greig unintentionally (recency bias). Greig was sensational and with Matera, Hawkins and Flower my pick for the 'pure wingmen'. Could also move Gary Senior up there from the flank as I'm largely cheating putting Jnr in at wing

Last edited:
Not a hope Martin gets in that side even on the bench , I would have G Williams as a starter and not on the bench personally but you could also add a few more to that midfield as well that’s not a easy as the backs and the forwards ….geez that forward line would be something to witness

Lol Martin easily overrated when you look at all those champions

CHB was difficult. Could have gone with Scarlet, Rance, Glendinning or Knights easily. Murray misses out in my opinion on a flank.

Went with Wanganeen but thought about McLeod for that spot also. Both great players and equally worthy.

My view is that of modern players Franklin, GAJ, Judd and Martin have marked their cards. There's probably several players unlucky such as Hird, Voss, Buckley, Roo (St Kilda and Adelaide varieties), Pavlich, Dangerfield, Pendles and Fyfe who all come to mind (and many others that I think could be a chance like Darren Jarman).

Edit: I subbed in Matera for Greig unintentionally (recency bias). Greig was sensational and with Matera, Hawkins and Flower my pick for the 'pure wingmen'. Could also move Gary Senior up there from the flank as I'm largely cheating putting Jnr in at wing
Great team I agree with your CHB call not many genuine chb over the years that stand out. Rance Scarlett and Darren Glass all amazing defenders but more FB that you would slide in as CHB in a team like this.

I probably should of included Wanganeen or Archer I think just the style and dare and amazing foot skills as a youngster that Wirrapanda showed just made me a little bias for picking a left field player there.

Cox is the best ruckman I have seen and changed the position and is still a ruck size 203 cm. He is a lock for me in that position with Polly coming in for little stunts and running forward or on the ball.

Simon Madden;

. 378 games / 575 goals
. x 2 flags
. 1985 Norm Smith medallist
. x 3 AA
. x 6 VFL team of the year ( pre AFL )
. x 4 B & F's
. x 3 Ess. leading goalkicker

Madden changed the position.

Totally agree, AFL and Aussie Rules Football are two different sports and it is very difficult to compare them.

From what I’ve seen - 1993 onwards:

B: Archer - Scarlett - Enright
HB: Wanganeen - Jakovich - McLeod
C: Matera - Voss - Cousins
HF: Hird - Carey - Martin
F: Akermanis - Ablett Sr - Franklin
R: Cox - Judd - Ablett Jr
I: Gawn - Buckley - Hodge - Ricciuto

No offence to Hodge as he was a very good player but I feel like he sticks out like a sore thumb in that team.

Flower was so much better than Greig it's not funny.

Greig kicked 47 goals from 300 games. Flower kicked 40 goals from the wing in one season (315 in total).

But, unfortunately, he was rarely on TV, so your memory is limited.

And yes, I know Greig won 2 Brownlows, which was highly contentious at the time.

Flower was so much better than Greig it's not funny.

Greig kicked 47 goals from 300 games. Flower kicked 40 goals from the wing in one season (315 in total).

But, unfortunately, he was rarely on TV, so your memory is limited.

And yes, I know Greig won 2 Brownlows, which was highly contentious at the time.
Grieg has one that's owed to KB in my view.

I think the wing along with CHB was probably the hardest to select as taking Bourke off one wing is a hard thing personally. I only did so because he really only played until about 73 on the wing and played the vast majority of the rest of his career across a range of positions including down back along the last line and at centre half back.

Flower would be a worthy selection, no doubt. You are right that I probably saw more of Greig than I did of Flower. Melbourne being wretched through that period certainly did him no favours.

I don't go back to 1960 lol, but i do go back to the mid/late 70's. Mathews and Doull being my cutoff players as even as older players for me they were superstars and walkup starters.

Ayres Silvagni Scarlett

McLeod Jakovich Doull

Matera Williams Ablett Snr

Daicos Carey(VC) Martin

Franklin Lockett Matthews(C)

Madden Judd Ablett Jnr

20 man over the top Royal Rumble for the bench spots

Remove this Banner Ad

Back