Lingsface

Premiership Player
May 9, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Great call on Moss a Brownlow Medalist a Premiership player and Simpson medalist.

Didn’t not win a best and fairest for 7 years at Essendon and then Claremont.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Lethal would be starting as a rover. None of this forward pocket s**t.

Yeh he was incredible up forward but the GOAT gets his favoured position.

He was forward pocket in the actual Team of the Century. Others can rove as well as him, but they're nowhere near as dangerous as forwards, so it's off to the forward pocket for Barney as the 2nd rover.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Completely agree.
The only thing that held back Daicos throughout his illustrious career were injuries. He was also a very fair player and copped some nasty hits.
People forget that prior to knee a complaint, he was averaging 18 disposals & 2 goals per game from the centre. Brilliant side step evasion and a better kick on the opposite foot than Akermanis (which seems impossible).
Daicos was a better overhead mark.

One of the greatest players ever who likely could have become a world class soccer player had he chosen that sport instead.

Daicos was one of the most creative players ever to pull on a boot; killed Geelong on many occasions but did it with such skill that you could only shake your head in admiration. Flat out champion.

Ginnieboy

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
Collingwood have probably played in more GFs than anyone in that time and we still can’t get a look in, just like the last team of the century, at the very least Buckley makes it over Voss, 7 AAs, Brownlow, Norm Smith, Rising Star, Magarey medal, Oatey medal, he literally carried Collingwood for over 10 years and was good from the get go.

Daicos is a must, Chris Johnson gets a back pocket over Wirripunda, and if I’m picking a team to save my life I’m fitting Kouta in somewhere.

Last edited:

Saab NLAW

All Australian
Aug 27, 2022
AFL Club
Melbourne
Grieg has one that's owed to KB in my view.

I think the wing along with CHB was probably the hardest to select as taking Bourke off one wing is a hard thing personally. I only did so because he really only played until about 73 on the wing and played the vast majority of the rest of his career across a range of positions including down back along the last line and at centre half back.

Flower would be a worthy selection, no doubt. You are right that I probably saw more of Greig than I did of Flower. Melbourne being wretched through that period certainly did him no favours.

To see the true skill and talent of Flower look at his record of playing for Victoria, 15 times and 3 as captain. Even when playing with the best players he would stand out.

Not trying to put Keith Greig down though, another great player, I just think Flower was better.

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
To see the true skill and talent of Flower look at his record of playing for Victoria, 15 times and 3 as captain. Even when playing with the best players he would stand out.

Not trying to put Keith Greig down though, another great player, I just think Flower was better.
Yep. I don't have all of the records, but here's 3 when Flower was named best for Victoria. His Vic teammates included Leigh Matthews, Bartlett, Greig, Templeton, Doull, Southby, Watson, Raines, Dempsey... Flower often shone when amongst the games greats.
1674085346125.jpeg

1674085467587.jpeg

1674085519898.jpeg

Daicos was one of the most creative players ever to pull on a boot; killed Geelong on many occasions but did it with such skill that you could only shake your head in admiration. Flat out champion.
I was at Vic Park when he kicked 8 against us. He was unstoppable and won the game for the Pies. I reckon he only played 3 more career games after that.

Ablett kicked 7 at the other end and got suspended for his hit on Pert.

Daicos was a champion.

melbun

Premium Platinum
Jan 15, 2023
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Giants.
Does anyone else think Verdun Howell (or Southby) should be fullback in this team?

Lingsface

Premiership Player
May 9, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
I think the West Australian all time team would be an absolute beast of a team.

Ruck division of Polly Cox Moss Sandilands

On Ballers - Cable Black Bunton snr Fyfe Cousins Michael Matera

Forwards- Franklin Krakeour brothers Bill Walker

So much speed and size would be an exciting brand of football.

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No offence to Hodge as he was a very good player but I feel like he sticks out like a sore thumb in that team.

Not sure why Hodge would stick out in particular? I feel like he is pretty comparable to the small backs selected in the side?

There's Glenn Archer for example.

Archer was a great, uncompromising and courageous player who was good enough to be named AA 3 times and win a Norm Smith amongst two flags. At his best, he was in the top 10-15 players in the league.

Thing is, Hodge was all of those things too, and could be equally damaging through the midfield and forward line. He was also AA 3 times and won 2 Norm Smiths, amongst 4 flags, 3 of which he captained. At his best (2010, 2005, etc), he was in the top 5 players in the league. He also won 2 B&F's to Archer's 0.

That's not to say Hodge must be picked or anything but there is nothing to suggest he is an obvious outlier selection in comparison to the others picked.

Lingsface

Premiership Player
May 9, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Not sure why Hodge would stick out in particular? I feel like he is pretty comparable to the small backs selected in the side?

There's Glenn Archer for example.

Archer was a great, uncompromising and courageous player who was good enough to be named AA 3 times and win a Norm Smith amongst two flags. At his best, he was in the top 10-15 players in the league.

Thing is, Hodge was all of those things too, and could be equally damaging through the midfield and forward line. He was also AA 3 times and won 2 Norm Smiths, amongst 4 flags, 3 of which he captained. At his best (2010, 2005, etc), he was in the top 5 players in the league. He also won 2 B&F's to Archer's 0.

That's not to say Hodge must be picked or anything but there is nothing to suggest he is an obvious outlier selection in comparison to the others picked.
I would take hodge over archer any day of the week.
Archer maybe for versatility if you were short of tall defenders which your not. (I know he is not tall, but had the ability to play on talls). In terms of ball use and ball winning ability hodge by a country mile.

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No offence to Hodge as he was a very good player but I feel like he sticks out like a sore thumb in that team.

Just to extend my previous point further, but another player selected in the side is Corey Enright. A fine selection but I don't think it is fair to suggest that Hodge is not even close to comparable such that he "sticks out like a sore thumb".

I'm sure everyone will quickly point to the fact that Enright was a 6 x AA and Hodge only 3 which is a fair point.

The thing is (aside from Hodge often playing multiple positions, making it harder for him to be selected in any one role) is that every other award in the AFL is comfortably led by Hodge.

In Coaches votes, Hodge has more than twice as many votes in his career and has finished as high as runner up, whereas Enright has never been top 20.
In Brownlow votes, Hodge (despite being famously 'shortchanged', such as when he was equal favourite in 2010) has 131 votes whilst Enright has 34 votes. That's quadruple the votes.
In MVP voting, Hodge picked up 603 votes and has finished as high as runner up. Enright has never received a vote.
Hodge also played in 5 Grand Finals, got Norm Smith votes in 3 of them, winning 2. Enright played in 4 Grand Finals and has never received a single vote.

I would also argue that Hodge can do all of the things that Enright can do but Hodge was able to do things Enright never demonstrated he was capable of. Go forward and kick bags of goals (Hodge has 5 bags of 4+, including a 6 and many bags of 3, whereas Enright never kicked more than 2), go in the middle and completely dominate big games, shut down a tall forward, play as an interceptor, etc.

Hodge also leads every statistical category possible. Given Hodge spent more time in the middle and up forward, some of those are to be expected (miles ahead in goals, goal assists, clearances, etc) but he even leads the defensive categories too despite spending less time there (more spoils, more tackles, better 1 on 1 in defence, etc.).

I'm not even trying to claim that Hodge is better than Enright BTW (I have the utmost respect for Enright) - just think the idea that Hodge (who was selected on the bench anyway) sticks out as not even comparable to the other players selected is not a fair assessment at all.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
Yes but you already have Lockett Franklin Ablett Carey kicking a few here and there a high half forward who can get a couple and put it laces out in to the tit would be better.”, there’s no argument Akermanis foot skills were close to the best.

Lol....Aker compared to Daicos' foot skills....one's a pop singer and the other's a virtuoso.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cable, Jnr and Martin are superior users compared to Matthews though. Matthews often did the gritty work extracting the ball and kicking it as far as he could.
Cable was a sublime user. As too Greg Williams. Very rarely did they turn it over throughout their careers.

if you're gonna go with Barry Cable because of his footskills....you better look up Bobby Skilton and Peter Bedford also?

Matthews was the best of all time because he could beat anyone almost anywhere on the field. His kicking might not look as fluent or graceful as Cable, but if the ball was in their vicinity....I know which one of the two would have got it first. Matthews was the modern 70's-80's version of Bob Rose.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I would take hodge over archer any day of the week.
Archer maybe for versatility if you were short of tall defenders which your not. (I know he is not tall, but had the ability to play on talls). In terms of ball use and ball winning ability hodge by a country mile.

Archer has Hodge covered Lingy....Hodge was a spare midfielder playing in defence, he got heaps of ball because he was in a great side and could back his judgement knowing that he had coverage.

Archer played in a couple of great sides but he also held up his end when the Kangas were awful. He was totally fearless (I can only name a few that have been truly fearless...Archer, Gavin Brown, Millane, Matthews and Robert Flower) and his ability to win out against the odds made him a revered player. Far moreso than Hodgy who was just a bit smoother than Jordan Lewis.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
He was forward pocket in the actual Team of the Century. Others can rove as well as him, but they're nowhere near as dangerous as forwards, so it's off to the forward pocket for Barney as the 2nd rover.

Lol....that's an oxymoron....Leigh Matthews "second rover".....second anything....lol

Lingsface

Premiership Player
May 9, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Should you post Daic's highlight reel now???
I don’t think Daicos could kick 65 meter goals on his left. Very good at the pocket dribble though. I think I’d rather lead to Akermanis more a master of the drop punt , Daicos better at the snaps and dribbles.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

Flower was WAY better than Greig. But then so were a lot of other wingmen.
How Gavin Brown doesn't get a mention is beyond me.

Back