Opinion Team of the century (so far)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I stole this thread concept from the main board.

Pretty self explanatory, really. Post your best team of the 2000s.

I'll start.

B: James Clement (VC) - Simon Prestigiacomo, - Leon Davis
HB: Heath Shaw - Ben Reid - Harry O'Brien
M: Steele Sidebottom - Nathan Buckley (C) - Scott Burns
HF: Alan Didak - Travis Cloke - Chris Tarrant
F: Dayne Beams - Anthony Rocca - Jordan De Goey

Foll: Brodie Grundy - Dayne Swan - Scott Pendlebury

Int: Adam Treloar - Ben Johnson - Paul Licuria - Dale Thomas

Honourable mentions: Paul Medhurst (All Australian @ Collingwood), Nick Maxwell (All Australian @ Collingwood), Shane Wakelin, Darren Jolly, Josh Fraser, Alan Toovey, Luke Ball, Taylor Adams, Shane O'Bree, Jamie Elliott, Jack Crisp, Jeremy Howe, Josh Fraser, Tarkyn Lockyer

Last edited:
Collingwood 2000 -

B. J Clement ~ C Tarrant ~ H Shaw
HB. S Burns ~ B Reid ~ J Crisp
C. S Sidebottom ~ N Buckley (c) ~ A Treloar
HF. J De Goey ~ T Cloke ~ D Beams
F. J Elliott ~ A Rocca ~ A Didak
R. B Grundy ~ S Pendlebury ~ D Swan
I. L Dunn ~ J Howe ~ L Ball ~ T Adams
C. M Malthouse

E. D Jolly, T Langdon, L Davis, D Thomas

Collingwood 2000 -

C. M Malthouse

No Davis?
He was an All Australian as a forward and as a backman which is a very rare achievement.

His 2011 season is one of, if not the, best seasons I've ever seen from a small defender. He was incredible and it's such a shame he couldn't continue on in that role. All came down to a contract in the end.

No Davis?
He was an All Australian as a forward and as a backman which is a very rare achievement.

His 2011 season is one of, if not the, best seasons I've ever seen from a small defender. He was incredible and it's such a shame he couldn't continue on in that role. All came down to a contract in the end.
Very fair argument.
He was line ball.

I must admit I have marked him down for his GF outings, a bit unfair but I just could not leave out Clement, Burns, Crisp, Shaw before him.

ps he was a better back than forward in my view, almost wished he got there a few years earlier.

Johnson Tarrant Maxwell
Shaw Moore Crisp
Thomas Buckley Sidebottom
Elliott Cloke Didak
DeGoey Rocca Stephenson
Grundy Pendlebury Swan

N. Davis, O'Bree, Beams, Licuria

Collingwood 2000 -

C. M Malthouse

Lynden Dunn?

Team of the century:

FB: J. Clement (2004) - C. Tarrant (2011) - L. Davis (2011)
HB: J. Crisp (2018) - B. Reid (2011) - H. Shaw (2010)

Mid: S. Sidebottom (2018) - N. Buckley (C)(2003) - D. Thomas (2010)
Fol: B. Grundy (2019) - D. Swan (2011) - S. Pendlebury (VC) (2010)

HF: J. Elliott (2015) - T. Cloke (2010) - A. Didak (2010)
FF. J. De Goey (2018) - A. Rocca (2002) - J. Stephenson (2018)

Int. D. Beams (2012), S. Burns (VC)(2001), P. Medhurst (2008), J. Howe (2017)

2nd 22:

B: N. Maxwell (C)(2010) - L. Dunn (2017) - A. Toovey (2010)
HB: B. Johnson (2010) - D. Moore (2019) - H. O'Brien (2010)

Mid: A. Treloar (2017) - T. Adams (2018)- P. Williams (2000)
Fol: D. Jolly (2010) - L. Ball (2010) - P. Licuria (2002)

HF: N. Davis (2001) - B. Mihocek (2018) - T. Lockyer (2000)
FF. A. Krakouer (2011) - J. Anthony (2009) - G. Brown (2000)

Int. J. Fraser (2002) S. O'Bree (2002), B. Holland (2005), S. Prestigiacomo (2000)

Great thread;

B: Leon Davis - Simon Prestigiacomo, - James Clement
HB: Jack Crisp - Ben Reid - Nick Maxwell
M: Steele Sidebottom - Nathan Buckley (C) - Adam Treloar
HF: Alan Didak - Travis Cloke - Dale Thomas
F: Dayne Beams - Anthony Rocca - Jordan De Goey

Foll: Brodie Grundy - Dane Swan - Scott Pendlebury

Int: Heath Shaw - Jeremy Howe - Paul Licuria - Luke Ball

I'm surprised that there are some teams without Scotty Burns in them. He's one who hasn't get as much post retirement love as I think he deserves.

I miss Mars videos! Favourites too. We're still lucky to get a few of Volts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm surprised that there are some teams without Scotty Burns in them. He's one who hasn't get as much post retirement love as I think he deserves.
Terrific player. Absolutely belongs in a Collingwood "Team of the century (so far)"! Maybe he was seen by some as mostly a hard-working, socks down type of player (and he was certainly hard-working), but he had plenty of skill to go with it.

Terrific player. Absolutely belongs in a Collingwood "Team of the century (so far)"! Maybe he was seen by some as mostly a hard-working, socks down type of player (and he was certainly hard-working), but he had plenty of skill to go with it.

Was it Voss who said Burns was the hardest player he played against? Said most players would flinch a moment before contact. Burns never flinched. He knew how to kick a goal too. Could play forward, back or on ball. He was quality and up there with Clement as a favourite player of mine.

Just as Mike Hussey was Mr. Cricket, out of all the Collingwood players I've seen, he was Mr. Football. Just a pure footballer in the Jimmy Bartel vein.

Was it Voss who said Burns was the hardest player he played against? Said most players would flinch a moment before contact. Burns never flinched. He knew how to kick a goal too. Could play forward, back or on ball. He was quality and up there with Clement as a favourite player of mine.
Not sure, but may well have happened! He was a bloody tough cookie, no doubt about that! I do think he has probably been 'marked down', in the eyes of many, because of a perceived lack of polish, but he was a wonderful all-round footballer.

Not sure, but may well have happened! He was a bloody tough cookie, no doubt about that! I do think he has probably been 'marked down', in the eyes of many, because of a perceived lack of polish, but he was a wonderful all-round footballer.
I think his under-appreciation is more that he was very much what they used to call a footballer's footballer. A fair few nice goals, but not much else on the play of the day highlights real. No runs. No speckies. Not many baulks. He was just that pure footballer who would go in hard, win a hot ball, you'd know that he was going to get smashed, he'd know that he was going to get smashed and he'd get smashed, but he'd brace for it, ride the contact and get a perfect handball off to advantage. Super player.

I think his under-appreciation is more that he was very much what they used to call a footballer's footballer. A fair few nice goals, but not much else on the play of the day highlights real. No runs. No speckies. Not many baulks. He was just that pure footballer who would go in hard, win a hot ball, you'd know that he was going to get smashed, he'd know that he was going to get smashed and he'd get smashed, but he'd brace for it, ride the contact and get a perfect handball off to advantage. Super player.
So, just reading between the lines, you would like to see anyone who hasn't named him in their team given a decent ban?!

So, just reading between the lines, you would like to see anyone who hasn't named him in their team given a decent ban?!
Give them the choice between a ban or apologising profusely to Sir Scott, hanging their head in shame and replacing their scandalous posts with videos of his magnificence.

Great idea for a thread.

James Clement, Simon Prestigiacomo, Leon Davis
Ben Johnson, Ben Reid, Heath Shaw

Brodie Grundy, Dane Swan, Nathan Buckley
Steele Sidebottom, Scott Burns, Scott Pendlebury

Jordan DeGoey, Anthony Rocca, Dayne Beams
Andrew Krakouer, Travis Cloke, Alan Didak

Chris Tarrant, Luke Ball, Jaidyn Stephenson, Leigh Brown

Might quickly address one or two of the more interesting inclusions.
Stevo: Looked at the side and realized pace is really something we haven't had for a long time. Not sure whether it was the style of play or the era of footy, but I think many will agree that we haven't had a player like Stevo before that boasts pace, goal sense and 1v1 capabilities, which is why he gets a nod for me.

Krakouer: Between him and Davis our best front and center small forwards I can remember playing in black and white. With Leon down back i went with Andy to play at the feet of Trav and Pebbles. His ability to crumb, slip tackles and snap a goal was elite and in a forward line of contested markers and lead up forwards he would compliment the set up perfectly.

Brown: Honestly just a personal preference pick. The ultimate fix-it man who performed when and where we needed him most, especially in the 2010 flag year. Whether it was up forward, down back or around the ground in the ruck, big Leroy had an impact.

FB: J Clement - S Prestigiacomo - H O'Brien
HB: H Shaw - B Reid - B Johnson
C: D Thomas - N Buckley - S Sidebottom
HF: D Beams - T Cloke - A Didak
FF: L Davis - A Rocca - J De Goey
Foll: B Grundy - D Swan - S Pendlebury
Inter: S Burns - P Licuria - N Maxwell - J Elliott

That was tough to pick. Lot of players unlucky to miss out and I no doubt have probably left out and obvious inclusion or two

Shaw Tarrant Howe
Burns Reid Clement

Grundy Pendlebury Buckley
Treloar Sidebottom De Goey

Daisy Rocca Didak
Swan Cloke Elliott

Licuria Crisp Beams Maxwell

His 2003 was sensational.

The Best of the Best

B.
HB.
C.
HF. ~ T Wilson (c) ~
F.
R.
I.

coach T Wilson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back