Team of the Century - whats the go.

Remove this Banner Ad

DOC

Team Captain
Jan 26, 2001
75,77,96&99 Arden st North Melbourne
Other Teams
N.M.F.C
I just dugout last years yearbook and the page about the team is a little confusing.

The headline states: This is the final side.

Then in the story it states : Its a tough assignment to select the club's best 22 of the past 100 years. But that's what the club has in mind as a promotional and marketing excercise for next year - to settle on the best 22 to have worn the blue and white.

First it says this is the team and then when you read it it says that the club will decide in 2001 on the best 22.

What is the story?????????????????????????

Go the Skull !!!!
J.I.T.C
THE DOC..

Here it is...

Originally posted by Rooboy 96
and the full team is...

B... G.ARCHER (14)... D.DENCH (15)... R.HENSHAW (7)
HB... J.BLAKEY (9)... R.GLENDINNING (18)... B.CROSSWELL (9)
C... K.GREIG[dvc] (14)... A.STEVENS (10)... W.SCHIMMELBUSCH[vc] (8)...
HF... S.KEKOVICH (10)... W.CAREY[c](8)... A.BRIEDIS (6)...
F... J. KRAKEOUR (12)... J.LONGMIRE (16)... P. KRAKEOUR (10)...
R... G.DEMPSEY (9)... M.BLIGHT (9)... B.CABLE (19)

INTERCHANGE...
M. Martyn (10)
L. Foote (8)
N. Teasdale (7)
W. Schwass (7)

EMERGENCY...
M. Larkin (6)
D. King (6)
A. Aylett (5)

Coach... D.PAGAN

I was at the club today and asked about the team of the century and Peter Ryan (Roos Shop guy) let me know that it is going to happen. TherE will be a gala night at the Crown on the 30th or 31 st of August. He gave me the sheet of nominations which I will transfer over here in the next few days.

This will be a night to remember. If you can get there do it. All Roos greats will be there.

Go the Skull !!!
J.I.T.C
THE DOC..

Thanks Doc!

Originally posted by DOC
I was at the club today and asked about the team of the century and Peter Ryan (Roos Shop guy) let me know that it is going to happen. TherE will be a gala night at the Crown on the 30th or 31 st of August. He gave me the sheet of nominations which I will transfer over here in the next few days.

This will be a night to remember. If you can get there do it. All Roos greats will be there.

Go the Skull !!!
J.I.T.C
THE DOC..

Cool Doc i was wondering whether we were going to follow suit and have ours like the other clubs

Hope to get more details like cost later on when u can find out for us big footy roos.

it will be interesting to see how are our big footy roos team of the century matches up against the offical one.

BTW What was the team that was in the North news last year? An example of what the official one may look like?

Paul

Hi All

Got my copy of the Roos news today and in it was the nominated players for the Roos team of the century.

The Selection panel for the team is Geoff Poulter, Greg Miller, Fr Gerard Dowling, Keith McKenzie (former coach) Lloyd Holyoak and Max Ritchie

After looking at the Big Footy Team of the century and the nominated players the only player not included is Phil Krakouer but they put Jim in there.

Other Players to be nominated include:

Jim Adamson
Brett Allison
Stan Alves
John Blakey
John Brady
John Byrne
Wally Carter
Don Condon
Gary Cowton
Darren Crocker
Barry Davis
John Dugdale
Laurie Dwyer
Leo Dwyer
Sid Dyer
Kevin Dynon
Gerald Eastmore
Ian Fairley
Mick Gaudon
Peter German
Frank Gumbelton
Steven Icke
Ted Jarrad
Pat Kelly
John Law
Johnny Lewis
Steven McCann
Bernie McCarthy
Jock McCorkell
Corey McKernan
Ken Montgomery
Sel Murray
Mick Nolan
John Rantall
Anthony Rock
Craig Sholl
Ross Smith
Jock Spencer
Anthony Stevens
Peter Steward
Doug Wade

plus the Big Footy roos Team of the century players

So what does eveyone think of the nominations?

Paul

Team of the Century - whats the go

I got my Roo News yesterday and was very happy to see Fruity get a nomination (though I doubt the powers that be will put him in the final side).

There are a lot of players that I've need seen play live (way before my time), but I've got to say that there are a few more recent ones that I wouldn't have included

At least there appears to be a fairly good selection of names listed above (haven't got my Roos News from my PO box yet).
It looks as if all best and fairest winners and significant premiership players were nominated, as well as most players who played 150+ games.
Phil Krakouer is probably the only notable absentee, given that guys like Rock, German, Icke and Gumbleton made it onto the list. All very good players for the club, but if they are on the list, then surely Phil could sneak in too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about Kym Hodgeman - jesus.

And Xavier Tanner, Tim Bourke, Mick Gallagher, Paul Bryce, SUper Apple McCarthy, Micky Passmore, Joffa Chandler, Darren Harris, Mark Lisle, Hepburn Springs, Mark Arceri.

There are certainly some notable absentees.

Originally posted by Paulkanga2000
Hi All

Got my copy of the Roos news today and in it was the nominated players for the Roos team of the century.

The Selection panel for the team is Geoff Poulter, Greg Miller, Fr Gerard Dowling, Keith McKenzie (former coach) Lloyd Holyoak and Max Ritchie

After looking at the Big Footy Team of the century and the nominated players the only player not included is Phil Krakouer but they put Jim in there.

Other Players to be nominated include:

Jim Adamson
Brett Allison
Stan Alves
John Blakey
John Brady
John Byrne
Wally Carter
Don Condon
Gary Cowton
Darren Crocker
Barry Davis
John Dugdale
Laurie Dwyer
Leo Dwyer
Sid Dyer
Kevin Dynon
Gerald Eastmore
Ian Fairley
Mick Gaudon
Peter German
Frank Gumbelton
Steven Icke
Ted Jarrad
Pat Kelly
John Law
Johnny Lewis
Steven McCann
Bernie McCarthy
Jock McCorkell
Corey McKernan
Ken Montgomery
Sel Murray
Mick Nolan
John Rantall
Anthony Rock
Craig Sholl
Ross Smith
Jock Spencer
Anthony Stevens
Peter Steward
Doug Wade

plus the Big Footy roos Team of the century players

So what does eveyone think of the nominations?

Paul
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a Fund raising venture, and I hope the Club Raises a Fortune, but,
I do not believe that Players who spent 10 Years at another Club before playing for us should have even been nominated regardless of whether they were Premiership Players or not.
I would hate to see a Player who played his first and last game with us, put out by a Player who was lucky enough to play in a Premiership side.
Such as John Longmire, Jock Spencer, or John Dugdale (Doug Wade)
Allen " Mick" Aylett ( Barry Cable)
Laurie Dwyer ( Stan Alves)
Peter Steward ( John Rantall)
Sam Kekovich (Brent Crosswell)
John Blakey doesn't count because He's played longer (and His Heart out for Us)
Shoot Me down if you want to, but this is the way I feel about it. My feelings only.
GO!! the Butcher Boys.

:cool:

I've had a closer look at the nominations, so my initial view of "no notable absentees" has changed a little.

I agree with Munster about the star recruits, although surely Cable should be looked upon as one of our own after 116 games in the Blue & White, and three and a bit seasons as coach.

I wouldn't like to see players such as Alves, Crosswell, Rantall, Davis, Wade, etc in the team based on two or three good seasons after stellar careers elsewhere.

To put it another way :
* Did Wade have more of an impact as a single player in his 59 games with North Melbourne, than John Longmire in his 200 or Jock Spencer in his 153?
* Did Stan Alves have more of an impact as a single player in his 40 games with North Melbourne, than David King in his 163 or Wayne Schwass in his 184?

Others who played under 100 games :
* John Rantall 70 games, 3 seasons (B&F 1974)
* Brent Crosswell 76 games, 5 seasons
* John Byrne 98 games, 8 seasons
* Barry Davis 71 games, 3 seasons (B&F 1973, 1975)
* Leo Dwyer 71 games (but played 7 seasons - all at North Melbourne - in an era where seasons were shorter, and the club did not participate in finals. Also placed in the Brownlow.)

Comparing different eras too, I notice Doug Wade (1973-75, 59 games, 223 goals) has only a slightly higher goal average than Tom Fitzmaurice (1932-35, 54 games, 196 goals) who played in a poor team, and in an era where scores were much lower than in Wade's day.
Charlie Gaudion (1931-37, 77 games) also missed out on a nomination, despite being a state respresentative 5 years running, including once as captain, and was club captain for one season also.

150-game players who missed out on nomination :
* Ken Dean 159 games, 17 goals
* Bill Findlay 158 games, 350 goals (couldn't believe this one, averaged 2.2 goals per game as a rover, topped the club's goalkicking in 1943, 1944 and 1945, was club captain from 1941-43 and coach from 1942-43. Played 11 seasons at the club).
* Barry Goodingham 160 games, 51 goals (club captain 1971)
* Jack Gregory 156 games, 5 goals
* Donald McDonald 155 games, 145 goals

It'd be silly to suggest that X number of games, club awards or goal averages should get a player into the final side, but if a list of 63 nominees is supposedly a "short list", what harm is there in extending the list to 70 or 75 nominations, and rewarding all players who played 10 years or 150 games, for their service to the club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back