Team of the Decade 2010-2019

Remove this Banner Ad

These sorts of threads seem to come up every year, however the '10s decade has now completed. I also consider a decade team differently to comparing our 2010 flag side vs our current team - one year vs multiple years. Based on their performance between 2010-2019 (PonsfordMagpie has done the hard work here) what is our best 22 over that decade?

A couple of obvious head-to-heads:

Captain - Maxwell 4 years, Pendlebury 6 years​
Ruck - Jolly vs Grundy​
The most difficult was CHF with Dawes (61 games 73 goals), White (56 games, 75 goals), Reid (142 games, 66 goals), Moore (71 games, 61 goals) and Mihocek (40 games, 65 goals) all in the mix. Cox and Cloke I both consider to be full forwards during this timespan. Reid and Moore have both spent time in defence with Reid a clear standout at CHB, so ultimately I feel Mihocek is the better option from a pool with no real standout.

Other comments:
Blair has to be in the side given the number of games played​
Davis, Didak, Johnson, L.Brown, Tarrant, Krakouer, Dunn, Moore (by position) and Maynard I didn't feel had the longevity​
Langdon and Toovey are stiff to miss, however we're not short on well performed defenders and I preferred others, similarly Fasolo (forward), Macaffer (forward/tagger) and Greenwood (tagger/defence)​

B: Maxwell (C) ~ N.Brown ~ Howe
HB: Crisp ~ Reid ~ Shaw
C: Sidebottom ~ Pendlebury ~ D.Thomas
HF: Beams ~ Mihocek ~ Treloar
F: Elliott ~ Cloke ~ De Goey
R: Grundy ~ Swan ~ Ball

I: Blair ~ Jolly ~ Lumumba ~ Adams

E: Goldsack ~ Varcoe ~ Maynard ~ Toovey

Last edited:
B: Jeremy Howe ~ Chris Tarrant ~ Heath Shaw
HB: Leon Davis ~ Ben Reid ~ Jack Crisp

M: Dale Thomas ~ Luke Ball ~ Scott Pendlebury
R: Brodie Grundy ~ Dayne Beams ~ Dane Swan

HF: Jayden Stephenson ~ Travis Cloke ~ Adam Treloar
F: Jamie Elliott ~ Darcy Moore ~ Jordan De Goey

I/C: Taylor Adams ~ Steele Sidebottom ~ Heritier Lumumba ~ Travis Varcoe

You consider Cloke a FF despite him winning two AA CHF's in the time frame but Reid is a CHF?

Maynard has played more games in the period than than DeGoey, Brown, May and Shaw but you don't feel he has had longevity?
All Australian teams aren't a reliable guide as to positions played, they're more about fitting the players they want into the side. 2011 had Franklin at FF, 2013 Cameron. An example of how irrelevant AA positions are is Pavlich being named at FB one year despite hardly playing there. I'd much rather go by my own observations. Reid kicked 25 of his goals across the back half of the 2013 season, however Cloke still kicked considerably more (42 goals) during the same timeframe.

Not sure who you mean by May, but Maynard isn't competing with DeGoey or Brown in a best 22 named according to position. A top 22 irrespective of position and you may have a point. I consider more than just the number of games played when talking about longevity, also considering how the players perform and more specifically where they are in terms of their career. Maynard vs Shaw, is one player at the start of their career vs one mid-career. In 2015/16 where Maynard played 29 matches he was still establishing/developing in the 22, much like Callum Brown this year. There's no doubt Shaw had more longevity as a senior player across this timespan.

Fancy putting up your own 22?

B: Jeremy Howe ~ Chris Tarrant ~ Heath Shaw
HB: Leon Davis ~ Ben Reid ~ Jack Crisp

M: Dale Thomas ~ Luke Ball ~ Scott Pendlebury
R: Brodie Grundy ~ Dayne Beams ~ Dane Swan

HF: Jayden Stephenson ~ Travis Cloke ~ Adam Treloar
F: Jamie Elliott ~ Darcy Moore ~ Jordan De Goey

I/C: Taylor Adams ~ Steele Sidebottom ~ Heritier Lumumba ~ Travis Varcoe
A much more exciting 22 than the one I posted - Tarrant/Brown, Davis/Maxwell, Stephenson/Blair, Moore/Mihocek, Varcoe/Jolly. It would certainly get more people through the gate.

Last edited:
As one who feels compelled to do these:

B. H Shaw ~ B Reid ~ L Davis
HB. J Crisp ~ D Moore ~ J Howe
C. S Sidebottom ~ L Ball ~ A Treloar
HF. D Beams ~ T Cloke ~ A Didak
F. J Elliott ~ J De Goey ~ J Stephenson
R. B Grundy ~ S Pendlebury (c) ~ D Swan
I. D Jolly ~ T Langdon ~ T Adams ~ D Thomas

Last edited:
All Australian teams aren't a reliable guide as to positions played,

Cloke is a centre half forward. Period.

Not sure who you mean by May, but Maynard isn't competing with DeGoey or Brown in a best 22 named according to position.

Auto-correct turned Maxy into May, who would be competing for a spot against Maynard. As would Howe and Shaw all of who played LESS games for Collingwood in the period than Maynard who you excluded on the basis of not enough games.

Fancy putting up your own 22?

Not really.

For me players like Stephenson, Mihocek, Moore have not played enough games/won enough accolades to be considered in the team of the decade.

I'd sooner pick a premiership player or someone who has played over 100 games for the club in the decade at least.

I mean Mihocek and Stephenson have both only played 40 games...

This would be my team. Mostly because they're players I really like.

FB: - Shaw - Dunn - Davis
HB: - Crisp - Reid - Howe

C: - Sidebottom - Treloar - D. Thomas
Fol: - Grundy - Swan - Pendlebury (VC)

HF: - Didak - Moore - Stephenson
FF: - Elliott - Cloke - De Goey

Int: Beams, Ball, Maxwell (C), Krakouer

Tough calls for me were:

Dunn vs Tarrant
Crisp vs Johnson
Ball vs Adams
Davis vs Maynard
Moore vs Mihocek
Reid vs Moore
Maxwell vs Langdon

Best team
FB: Shaw - Brown - Maynard
HB: Crisp - Reid - Howe
C: Sidebottom - Treloar - Ball
HF: Fasolo - Moore - Dawes
FF: Degoey - Cloke - Elliot
Foll Grundy - Swan - Pendlebury
INT: Thomas - Maxwell - Stephenson - Jolly
EMRG O’Brien - Krakouer - Tarrant - Macaffer

i think with this excercise we need to ignore longevity and take players heavily into account for the premiership, even though it was right at the start of the decade
for this reason, didak shaw dawes HarryO etc fit easily into my side despite only playing a few years of the decade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best team
FB: Shaw - Brown - Maynard
HB: Crisp - Reid - Howe
C: Sidebottom - Treloar - Ball
HF: Fasolo - Moore - Dawes
FF: Degoey - Cloke - Elliot
Foll Grundy - Swan - Pendlebury
INT: Thomas - Maxwell - Stephenson - Jolly
EMRG O’Brien - Krakouer - Tarrant - Macaffer
Interesting side.

I’d certainly have Beams and Tarrant before Fasolo myself.
Didak certainly superior to the Fas.

Alex just to hit and miss for me.

Interesting side.

I’d certainly have Beams and Tarrant before Fasolo myself.
Didak certainly superior to the Fas.

Alex just to hit and miss for me.

If I wanted to replace beams, I would put him in for Dawes since he was inaccurate at times. Chris Tarrant was a decent defender, but not worthy on the side of the century

For me players like Stephenson, Mihocek, Moore have not played enough games/won enough accolades to be considered in the team of the decade.

I'd sooner pick a premiership player or someone who has played over 100 games for the club in the decade at least.

I mean Mihocek and Stephenson have both only played 40 games...
I do get that with Mihocek.

Stephenson different level.

Since he walked in he has been a difference maker.

Changed our whole dynamic and I’d even posit a major reason we have been top 4 these past two seasons.

Already superior than say Dawes or Goldsack or Macaffer or Blair or others.
Just a better player in my view.

I do get that with Mihocek.

Stephenson different level.

Since he walked in he has been a difference maker.

Changed our whole dynamic and I’d even posit a major reason we have been top 4 these past two seasons.

Already superior than say Dawes or Goldsack or Macaffer or Blair or others.
Just a better player in my view.

No doubt a great player and huge potential and a big achievement to win the Rising Star and so what he has done, but I just think he cocked it up to be considered in this decade's team with his suspension and total output is significantly lesser than others who should be considered. I'd back him to be captain of next decades team though.

No doubt a great player and huge potential and a big achievement to win the Rising Star and so what he has done, but I just think he cocked it up to be considered in this decade's team with his suspension and total output is significantly lesser than others who should be considered. I'd back him to be captain of next decades team though.

Put yours up sirlothie

Alright I will but when I get a bit of time to consider it properly.

I already know it will be different to yours in a couple of ways though, I wouldn't have Krakeour in it and I'm surprised your full back position was a toss up between Dunn and Tarrant when N. Brown seems an easy decision for mine.

Everyone's will be different though, that's the fun of it. I'll try get it done tonight.

Alright I will but when I get a bit of time to consider it properly.

I already know it will be different to yours in a couple of ways though, I wouldn't have Krakeour in it and I'm surprised your full back position was a toss up between Dunn and Tarrant when N. Brown seems an easy decision for mine.

Everyone's will be different though, that's the fun of it. I'll try get it done tonight.

I could explain mine a bit better and happy to expand.

With Dunn I like him for his kicking skills and his no non-sense defense. With Dunn and Davis back there I really reckon we could carve teams up rebounding from our defensive 50. Tarrant I also like for that reason and athletically too. Brown isn't quite so good in that area despite being a great full back for us in his prime.

On Krakouer, he's our best crumber in the last 10 years. I'll never forget his 2011 Grand Final, almost won it off his own boot. Offers a point of difference to our other forwards.

As a rule I pick the benches for my 22 as 2x mids, 1x fwd, 1x def. Benny Johnson was my biggest regret in that team for his run off half back and could easily make a case for him over Davis or even Maxy.

I could explain mine a bit better and happy to expand.

With Dunn I like him for his kicking skills and his no non-sense defense. With Dunn and Davis back there I really reckon we could carve teams up rebounding from our defensive 50. Tarrant I also like for that reason and athletically too. Brown isn't quite so good in that area despite being a great full back for us in his prime.

On Krakouer, he's our best crumber in the last 10 years. I'll never forget his 2011 Grand Final, almost won it off his own boot. Offers a point of difference to our other forwards.

As a rule I pick the benches for my 22 as 2x mids, 1x fwd, 1x def. Benny Johnson was my biggest regret in that team for his run off half back and could easily make a case for him over Davis or even Maxy.

Oh well we are selecting on different criteria then, you are selecting the best possible side, I am selecting on biggest contribution.

Oh well we are selecting on different criteria then, you are selecting the best possible side, I am selecting on biggest contribution.

Seems so. Both make for interesting 22s and interesting discussions.

B: Davis, Brown, Maxwell
HB: Shaw, Howe, Crisp.
C: Sidebottom, Adams, Johnson
HF: Didak, Cloke, Thomas
F: Elliott, De Goey, Beams.
R: Grundy, Pendlebury, Swan.
I: Jolly, Trealor, Ball, O’Brien.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back