TEAM OF THE PAST 40 YEARS

Remove this Banner Ad

Lickmesocks

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hi all,

Watching a lot of old footage and reminiscing at the minute and thought I would try and compile my best combined Hawks line up since 1980.

100 Hawks games was the prerequisite during this period. Here goes and interested in your thoughts and changes.

B- Gibson Langford Ayres
HB- Tuck Mew Birchall
C- Dipper S.Mitchell Crawford
HF- Franklin Brereton Buckenara
FF- Matthews Dunstall Rioli

Rucks- Salmon Hodge Platten

IC- Jarman Burgoyne Wallace Roughead

Hi all,

Watching a lot of old footage and reminiscing at the minute and thought I would try and compile my best combined Hawks line up since 1980.

100 Hawks games was the prerequisite during this period. Here goes and interested in your thoughts and changes.

B- Gibson Langford Ayres
HB- Tuck Mew Birchall

Great team. I would out Birchall for Knights and Wallace out for Breust.

Hi all,

B- Gibson Langford Ayres
HB- Tuck Mew Birchall

That is one hellava team there !

Makes you realise again just how lucky we have been over such a long time. Great team. I agree with Knights in for Birchall. I would also bring in Russell Greene, who was a brilliant running player for us in the 80s and would be even better in todays game. Probably for Wallace, but then Plough was a genuine star in his own right. On balance Greene offers more versatility, and as good as Wallace was in the centre, Mitchell has him well covered.

I would have Lake in the Hawks best 22 of all-time. What he did during that three year span was incredible.

If Paul Salmon can make the team, then so should Lake who had a bigger impact in my opinion. He was the glue that held that defence up during the three-peat.

3 Premierships, norm smith medal, 83% winning record.

I would have Lake in the Hawks best 22 of all-time. What he did during that three year span was incredible.

If Paul Salmon can make the team, then so should Lake who had a bigger impact in my opinion. He was the glue that held that defence up during the three-peat.

The main difference though (between Lake and Salmon) is that Hawthorn have been pretty light on for rucks but have at least 4 kpds in the top 10 of all time.

As good as he was, there is no way that Lake can fit in Hawthorn's best 22 ever. At absolute best, he is 5th in line for a key defensive spot. No slight on him given the quality available there.

Hi all,

B- Gibson Langford Ayres
HB- Tuck Mew Birchall

‘I liked the big fish but he was a touch overrated. The 2001 prelim team had rehn as ruck, who always beat fish head to head. Rehn would be the best ruck ever to put a hawks jumper on, though obviously his best was elsewhere
Big boy would surely be our best all round ruck in the time discussed

Last edited:
Fox footy had a poll between a similar team to this and the equivalent cats team. Smashed them out of th park

Carlton west coast and to a certain extent Collingwood and Richmond would be the closest hypothetical teams

Last edited:
Fox footy had a poll between a similar team to this and the equivalent cats team. Smashed them out of th park
It would be a literal smashing physically. Some of the most intimidating players in the history of the game in our team

Makes you realise again just how lucky we have been over such a long time. Great team. I agree with Knights in for Birchall. I would also bring in Russell Greene, who was a brilliant running player for us in the 80s and would be even better in todays game. Probably for Wallace, but then Plough was a genuine star in his own right. On balance Greene offers more versatility, and as good as Wallace was in the centre, Mitchell has him well covered.

Plough 81 and 83 Crimmins medal.

‘I liked the big fish but he was a touch overrated. The 2001 prelim team had rehn as ruck, who always beat fish head to head. Rehn would be the best ruck ever to put a hawks jumper on, though obviously his best was elsewhere
Big boy would surely be our best all round ruck in the time discussed

Salmon made our team of the century.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lake didn’t qualify for this little project as he only played 50 odd games.

Lake didn’t qualify for this little project as he only played 50 odd games.

are you keeping a straight face here? Did you see our defence in 2012?
But on reflection. Matthews is certainly in, but he gets to chose his position. Hodge can take what he gets given

Ayres Langford Gibson
Hodge Mew Burgoyne
Crawford S Mitchell Dipper
Breust Brereton Franklin
Matthews Dunstall Rioli
Salmon Jarman Platten
Bucky Tuck Wallace J Smith

I went Salmon for his AA and inclusion in the HFC ToC instead of McEvoy who I think with another year would be in the box seat.
On the ground I went with Breust over Bucky due to his record in lower scoring conditions
As mentioned above, Knights was best in the 70's but Matthews and Plough were Crimmins Medal winners in the early 80's
Joel Smith maybe debatable but he won 2 AA's and Crimmins in a tough time for the hawks and without him and Crawf in those days, we'd have had a harder time.
I think all players on the ground are in their positions and those stiff to miss are only missing due to positional reasons and not wanting to put someone out of position

Anyone like to list the great ball users? Brad Hill recently. Sam Mitchell. Pritchard was mentioned in the 1989 thread. Darren Jarman elite class.

There's something like 79 Hawthorn flags in the OP's team. (I counted in my head so I'm open to being corrected)

4 Brownlows

4 Coleman medallists. (One the FF, one a small forward, one a flanker and the other a utility...lol)

1 record number premiership player

1 Greatest player of 20th century

Greatest player ever has to play as forward pocket... giving the rat a chop out when he needs it.

On moto g(7) using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hi all,

B- Gibson Langford Ayres
HB- Tuck Mew Birchall

guerra lake collins
bateman croad brown
smith eade pritchard
dew P Dear morrisey
williams Hale bruest

McEvoy sewell T. Mitchell

hill J lewis kennedy gunston

I think I favoured recent players. Theres other guys who played in all the 80s GFs
OP picked 12 from 80s whareas I only picked 6. Other candidates would be T Hall, Anderson, Greene, Schwab, Loveridge, Curran, Russo, G Dear, Morris, Paul Hudson. and from the nineties Dixon, Holland, J Smith might have been something in better teams

Last edited:
Ayres Langford Gibson
Hodge Mew Burgoyne
Crawford S Mitchell Dipper
Breust Brereton Franklin
Matthews Dunstall Rioli
Salmon Jarman Platten
Bucky Tuck Wallace J Smith

I went Salmon for his AA and inclusion in the HFC ToC instead of McEvoy who I think with another year would be in the box seat.
On the ground I went with Breust over Bucky due to his record in lower scoring conditions
As mentioned above, Knights was best in the 70's but Matthews and Plough were Crimmins Medal winners in the early 80's
Joel Smith maybe debatable but he won 2 AA's and Crimmins in a tough time for the hawks and without him and Crawf in those days, we'd have had a harder time.
I think all players on the ground are in their positions and those stiff to miss are only missing due to positional reasons and not wanting to put someone out of position

Joel Smith was a jet.

B- Collins, Langford, Gibson
HB- Hodge, Mew, Ayres
C- Crawford, Mitchell, Diperdomenico
HF- Buckenara Brereton Jarman
F- Franklin, Dunstall, Matthews
R- Salmon, Tuck, Platten
Int- Smith, Roughead, Wallace, Rioli

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back