Team of the (Triple) Century

Remove this Banner Ad

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I searched the forum and the only thing I could find was thread after thread debating who the worst 300-gamer was and none of them were even as close to being as entertaining as THAT thread about the worst 200-gamer. Anyways, I thought it'd be an interesting debate to narrow down the 91 names of VFL/AFL 300-gamers to come up with a best 22 (with players in their normal positions).

Here's my effort. I've tried to keep players to positions they played (although of course, lots of them played in multiple positions over the course of their career) and have a bit of team balance, but feel free to rip it apart:

FB: Ian Nankervis - Stephen Silvagni - Dustin Fletcher
HB: Paul Roos - Ted Whitten - Bruce Doull
C: Simon Black - Gary Ablett Jr - Craig Bradley
HF: Kevin Bartlett - Lance Franklin - Dick Reynolds
FF: Barry Round - Gordon Coventry - Jason Akermanis
R: John Nicholls - Joel Selwood - Leigh Matthews
IC: Chris Grant - Andrew McLeod - Adam Goodes - Robert Harvey

Here's the list of the players (in order of number of games) to have reached that milestone. Nathan Jones is due to join the club in a couple of weeks, but I can't see him cracking anyone's 22:

Brent Harvey
Michael Tuck
Kevin Bartlett
Dustin Fletcher
Shaun Burgoyne
Robert Harvey
Simon Madden
Craig Bradley
Adam Goodes
Bernie Quinlan
Brad Johnson
John Blakey
Gary Ablett
Bruce Doull
Paul Roos
Matthew Pavlich
Doug Hawkins
Luke Hodge
Kade Simpson
Chris Grant
Andrew McLeod
David Mundy
John Rantall
Nick Riewoldt
Brendon Goddard
Eddie Betts
Kevin Murray
David Cloke
Leigh Matthews
Drew Petrie
Corey Enright
Justin Madden
Gary Dempsey
Sam Mitchell
John Nicholls
Barry Round
Heath Shaw
Jarrad McVeigh
Ian Nankervis
Jude Bolton
Jason Akermanis
Scott West
Paul Salmon
Nathan Burke
Nick Dal Santo
Simon Black
Ted Whitten
Stewart Loewe
Tyson Edwards
Scott Pendlebury
Dick Reynolds
Jordan Lewis
Marcus Ashcroft
Joel Selwood
Terry Daniher
Tony Shaw
James Kelly
Roger Merrett
Jack Dyer
Robert Murphy
Stephen Silvagni
Mark Ricciuto
Glenn Archer
Ben Hart
Scott Thompson
Tim Watson
Wayne Schimmelbusch
Gordon Coventry
Adam Simpson
David Neitz
Paul Williams
Alastair Lynch
Jimmy Bartel
Shane Crawford
Russell Greene
Michael OLoughlin
Chris Langford
Lance Franklin
Don Scott
Luke Power
Len Thompson
Shannon Grant
Sam Newman
Kelvin Moore
Garry Foulds
Barry Breen
Francis Bourke
Kane Cornes
Mick Martyn
Rohan Smith
Gavin Wanganeen

Last edited:
Polly played 300+ a Legend of the game. Glasses?

Fair call. I was just going off the list from AFL Tables, which presumably only has VFL/AFL stats on it. I don't have ANY reference points for other State leagues though, so that's why I just went with VFL/AFL and why Polly missed out.

That'll be Gary Jnr, thus CHF wouldn't make sense

Wangas and McLeod are definite inclusions

I'm not sure you can select Polly unless he's selected as a non-ruck. He was a midget by today's understanding of the role.

Last edited:

I'm not sure you can select Polly unless he's selected as a non-ruck. He was a midget by today's understanding of the role.
Yeah, what was I thinking with GAJ? Will edit that one now. McLeod I was keen to include, but I thought it might've been more because I just loved watching him play. Not sure where Wanganeen would fit though.

I'd personally select him as a ruck if I were. It's cross-generational, so I think you have to account for height variation over time. I mean Ted Whitten wasn't even 6 feet so he ain't playing key position.

Heck, even Goodes played ruck for a while and was a "midget".

Also you've made a great team OP but surely Franklin gets in over Grant at CHF?
Fair point. I originally had Ablett at CHF (wrong Ablett though) and Chris Grant on the bench because of his elite ability as a key forward or key back. When someone pointed out my Ablett mistake, I just subbed in Grant from the bench and didn't consider the rest of the list.
How has Joel selwood made the side before quite a few on that list cmon seriously 😅
Who'd you have in there instead?

I'd personally select him as a ruck if I were. It's cross-generational, so I think you have to account for height variation over time. I mean Ted Whitten wasn't even 6 feet so he ain't playing key position.

Heck, even Goodes played ruck for a while and was a "midget".

I get the cross generational argument but we are also selecting "the best". Polly wouldn't get a tap out against the worst ruck in the comp today let alone the best. The test would be would Polly get a touch against Dean Cox today? No. Would Polly get a hit out against Dean Cox in Polly's day? No.

Same said with midget key position players.

The best has to be the best not a compromise, because players played in a amateur era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Langford at CHB with Whitten on the bench seems a little strange to me. Whitten was CHB and captain of the AFL team of the century.

but Ted couldn't even get a game with the Pies :)

FTR legend

Fair point. I originally had Ablett at CHF (wrong Ablett though) and Chris Grant on the bench because of his elite ability as a key forward or key back. When someone pointed out my Ablett mistake, I just subbed in Grant from the bench and didn't consider the rest of the list.

Who'd you have in there instead?
Sam Mitchell and Scott Pendlebury by a significant margin

No Superboot? please

Alot of players missing out. I guess you have to be a decent player to notch up 300 games.

I think Barry Round is vulnerable. Selwood is a champion but he is in front of alot of contenders. Even from his own club (Bartel).

Also would a side require all of Silvagni/Doull/Roos/Fletcher. Are they trying to lock down the Big V forward line of the early 1990s :) Maybe a more medium player with a bit of pace like a Corey Enright over Doull

No easy task, but Bernie is still close to one of the best I've seen.

Gavin WanganeenStephen SilvagniDustin Fletcher
Paul RoosTed WhittenJason Akermanis
Francis BourkeGary AblettAdam Goodes
Bernie QuinlanNick RiewoldtLance Franklin
Len ThompsonGordon CoventryLeigh Matthews
Simon MaddenSimon BlackDick Reynolds
John NichollsAndrew McLeodRobert HarveyKevin Bartlett

No easy task, but Bernie is still close to one of the best I've seen.

Gavin WanganeenStephen SilvagniDustin Fletcher
Paul RoosTed WhittenJason Akermanis
Francis BourkeGary AblettAdam Goodes
Bernie QuinlanNick RiewoldtLance Franklin
Len ThompsonGordon CoventryLeigh Matthews
Simon MaddenSimon BlackDick Reynolds
John NichollsAndrew McLeodRobert HarveyKevin Bartlett
Did Aker every play as a defender? And a bit cheeky putting Matthews in the Forward Pocket, but the man could kick a goal, so fair chop. I was far too young to have seen Bernie Quinlan play (born in the early 80s and only switched onto Aussie Rules in the mid-90s), so wasn't sure where he stood against some of the other greats of the game.

Great team you've posted though!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back